Patriot Act *breaking news*

gabe rock

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/lewis.html

Breaking News

There's an important story developing tonight at the Justice Department. The non-partisan Center for Public Integrity obtained a closely-guarded document that shows plans for a sweeping expansion of the government's police powers.

Until now, few people outside of the department, not even members of key congressional committees have seen this draft legislation. It could lead to increased surveillance and greater secrecy - all in the name of the war on terror. It raises questions about how we balance liberty and security - the rights of individuals versus the rule of law.

Bill Moyers talks to Chuck Lewis about the significance of the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003 and how it would affect civil liberties.

* Read the Department of Justice Response (PDF)

* See Office of Legislative Affairs cover sheet for the draft legislation (PDF)

READ THE DOCUMENT

* Download the high resolution version (PDF)

* Download the low resolution version (PDF)

Get Adobe Acrobat

Civil Liberties and the Patriot Act:

The Center for Public Integrity

The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan, tax-exempt organization, was founded by Charles Lewis. The mission of the Center for Public Integrity is to provide the American people with the findings of our investigations and analyses of public service, government accountability and ethics related issues. The Web site has many frequently updated features on Issue Ads, Campaign Finance and Citizen Muckraking, among others. The site is also home to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which posts stories from all over the globe.

The Department of Homeland Security

The Department of Homeland Security offers information about Homeland Security legislation, the President's Homeland Security proposal, and analysis of the department. Other features include transcripts of speeches given by Governor Tom Ridge at the National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation 2002 Service to America Summit and President Bush's Address to the Nation concerning homeland security. Online chat transcripts with Governor Ridge are also included.

Homeland Security, Homeland Profits

On the Corpwatch Web site (a corporate watchdog group), Wayne Madsen argues that corporations are standing to make billions from selling "surveillance and information-gathering systems to government agencies and the private sector." Madsen cautions that this technology will be utilized to intimidate and squelch dissent.

How the USA Patriot Act Puts the CIA Back in the Business of Spying On Americans

In this issue brief, the American Civil Liberties Union argues that the USA Patriot Act includes domestic espionage against American citizens. According to the ACLU, the USA Patriot Act "permits a vast array of information gathering on U.S. citizens from school records, financial transactions, Internet activity, telephone conversations, information gleaned from grand jury proceedings and criminal investigations to be shared with the CIA (and other non-law enforcement officials) even if it pertains to Americans."

Preparing the U.S. Army for Homeland Security

In this Rand Corporation publication, the organization analyzes the security threats facing the U.S. and helps to clarify the U.S. Army's core responsibilities in preventing and responding to attacks on the U.S. homeland.

Seizing Dictatorial Power - William Safire

In this New York Times op-ed, journalist William Safire admonishes the Bush Administration for usurping "dictatorial powers" in the prosecution and sentencing of suspected terrorists. Safire trumpets a clarion call for all "conservative iconoclasts and card-carrying hard-liners to stand up for American values."

The Sons and Daughters of Liberty

Village Voice correspondent Nat Hentoff reports on 300 citizens of Northhampton, Massachusetts that organized a community meeting to resist the USA Patriot Act. Under the banner of Northhampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee, Hentoff describes the town's activism as a "new American Revolution."

The Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee

The Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee (NBORDC) is a grassroots initiative that organized to resist the U.S.A Patriot Act. The NBORDC Web site provides helpful tips to individuals and groups interested in creating their own Bill of Rights Defense Committees in their communities. The Web site also includes an issues page which analyzes provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act and Federal Executive Orders in the context of the Bill of Rights of the U.S. Constitution.

USA Patriot Act

Thomas is the legislative search engine provided by the Library of Congress. Thomas allows users to read the complete text of the USA Patriot Act, follow its path through Congress and its many committees, review its co-sponsors in Congress, and much more.

USA Patriot Act Includes Provisions on Student Records

The American Council on Education(ACE) highlights provisions in the USA Patriot Act that authorizes the ability of the U.S. government to collect detailed information on foreign students. According to ACE, the USA Patriot Act also directs the U.S. Attorney General to implement an electronic database to store and track foreign students from selected countries. Those educational institutions that fail to authorize the intelligence network can be denied the ability to accept foreign students.

Watching You: Systematic Federal Surveillance of Ordinary Americans

A Cato Institute issue brief, "Watching You," documents the push to enact a federal tracking system to monitor U.S. citizens in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. If this federal tracking program is instituted, the Cato Institute warns that the government "will have perverted its most fundamental mission and destroyed the privacy and liberty that it was supposed to protect."

Task of a Terror Czar

Robert Maginnis of the Family Research Council makes recommendations to ensure the effectiveness of the Gov. Tom Ridges' Department of Homeland Security.

The Posse Comitatus Act: Can We Maintain American Freedom Without It?

In this essay, C. T. Rossi responds to Homeland Security head Tom Ridges' attempt to repeal the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. The Posse Comitatus Act barred the U.S. military from serving as a civilian police force, effectively protecting the right of states and local communities to police themselves. Its repeal, argues Rossi, "would open the door to old abuses" and concentrate undue power in the federal government.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And You Guys Thought The Militia Guys Were Crazy

The very people that many of you guys thought of as ignorant, redneck jackasses have been bitching to high heaven about the potential for this very thing to occur for the last twenty or twenty-five years. For YEARS people have been rolling their eyes at the Constitutionalists and saying things like "The right wing is a bunch of paranoid extremists."

The John Birch Society has been screaming about the potential for fascism in America for YEARS. IT WON'T COME WITH JACKBOOTS AND TORCHLIGHT PARADES. Fascism will come to America WRAPPED IN THE AMERICAN FLAG.

LISTEN TO ME. BUY RIFLES AND AMMUNITION AND UHF/VHF RADIOS WHILE YOU STILL CAN. BUY 1,000 ROUNDS FOR EVERY RIFLE AND PISTOL YOU OWN. STOP SHOOTING UP AMMUNITION FOR FUN. LEARN TO RELOAD. STUDY THE CONSTITUTION. LEARN THE LAW.

Someday, you may find yourself faced with the choice of becoming a subject in a police state, or fighting back. You need to know what it is you are fighting to defend. READ THE CONSTITUTION. DEFEND YOUR RIGHTS POLITICALLY AS LONG AS YOU CAN. VOTE VOTE VOTE WHEN YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH.

For those that are old enough to do so, and who care one way or the other--the militia movement used to advocate buying rifles chambered for one of the Militia Three--5.56mm (.223 Remington), 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester,) or 7.62x39mm Com Bloc (this is the cartridge that fits AK-47 and SKS rifles.) Some members also went out and purchased a type of AK variant called the NHM-91, which has a 21" barrel and a permenantly attached folding bi-pod rest. They also purchased 75 round drum magazines for these rifles. They are not full-auto, but the bi-pod and the drum magazine allows accurate, sustained fire for fire support.

If you buy bolt-action rifles, buy 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester.) This is a U.S. military caliber, and cartridges in this caliber and 5.56mm (.223 Remington) will be available on the black market long after other ammunition has become scarce. Buy the best rifle and the best scope you can afford. Your scope should cost at least as much as the rifle itself. If you spend $350 for a first-class, long-range rifle, buy a first-class, long-range $350 scope to go on it. Yes, $700 is a lot of money to pay for a deer rifle. How much would you pay to not live in a dictatorship? Large, extra powerful cartridges are not necessarily better. The U.S. military and Federal LEO's use the .300 Winchester Magnum as a sniper rifle (oh, excuse me, a "precision marksman" rifle--like the precision shot that hit Vickie Weaver in the face as she stood in the door of her Idaho home with a BABY IN HER ARMS) but the advantage of owning a 7.62mm NATO rifle is that this is the same caliber as the M-60 machinegun, the M-240G and other lightweight, general purpose, belt-fed machineguns shoot. This kind of ammunition will be easy to obtain on the black market. So will 5.56mm, but the 5.56mm cartridges (M-16A2, or M-4) are not effective at long ranges (500 meters+.)

Many of you will think I am talking like a nut case. You tell that to the German Jews. You tell that to the Poles. You tell that to the Czechs, the Rwandans, the Cambodians and every other nation that has been overrun by murderous dictators. TODAY, they are following foreign students from Syria and Iran around as if they are all saboteurs. Eventually, they are going to run out of foreigners to kick out of the country. And guess what? THEN THEY START ON YOU. I do not believe that the Homeland Security Department is going to suddenly throw up it's hands and say "O-Kay. Jobs done! Let's all go back to being beat cops and insurance salesmen now." Once they have a taste of power they are not ever going to want to stop, like the DEA. They will just get bigger, and more powerful with a bigger budget and a higher salary for the "Director."

J. Edgar Hoover used to have FBI agents over pulling weeds in his flower garden on Saturdays, in white shirts and TIES.

That's the kind of mentality that comes along with being the "nation's watchdog." Everybody is fucking terrified of you, and you know what? IT FEELS GOOOOD TO BE KING.

I am 100% against all terrorists, and I hate and despise ALL enemies of the United States, but I also have NO INTENTION of giving up my Constitutional rights without a struggle.

Go back and re-read this post.

shut up kabar.... guns don't solve a god damned thing.

if you honestly feel so threatened that you need an AK47 and a bathtub full of ammunition, go ahead and waste your money. that's your right i suppose. most of those guns will, however, be used in stupid crimes commited by the moronic majority of 12oz viewers. it's not too hard to dismiss the theory of terrorism, either.

what do we want? oil

how can we obtain it? somehow seize land in the middle east

how do we do that? start a war and hopefully win

what cause do we have to start a war? uh... none.... let's crash some planes into the world trade center and blame it on extremist muslims whose remains will be disintegrated leaving no evidence of them even being on planes. let's tell the world they trained as pilots too.

it's only terrorism when it happens to us, right?

GETCHER GUN JIMMY! THEM DAMN A-RABS'RE A'COMIN!

Guest WebsterUno

sounds like a story from the bible.

I dont think this is BS.

I think its better to be

prepared, boy am I lucky

I live in the ghetto, home

of the black market.

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

shut up kabar.... guns don't solve a god damned thing.

if you honestly feel so threatened that you need an AK47 and a bathtub full of ammunition, go ahead and waste your money. that's your right i suppose. most of those guns will, however, be used in stupid crimes commited by the moronic majority of 12oz viewers. it's not too hard to dismiss the theory of terrorism, either.

what do we want? oil

how can we obtain it? somehow seize land in the middle east

how do we do that? start a war and hopefully win

what cause do we have to start a war? uh... none.... let's crash some planes into the world trade center and blame it on extremist muslims whose remains will be disintegrated leaving no evidence of them even being on planes. let's tell the world they trained as pilots too.

it's only terrorism when it happens to us, right?

GETCHER GUN JIMMY! THEM DAMN A-RABS'RE A'COMIN!

Its not hard to dismiss the theory that your not a dumbass either is it?

You shut the fuck up. I dont agree with kabar totally, the man speaks truth that you should know your rights, as every american should...

I wish i had all day to sit here and school you on what the fuck is really going on. But instead I will recommend that you check out some international news channels, they have a wide array of perspectives and storys, and maybe once you'll understand what the fuck is going on...

Oh, by the way, every person i have ever met from pittsburg has been a total fucking idiot. (not to forget every person i met when i lived there for a brief peroid of time..)

Must be something in the water?

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by shameless self promotion

I wish i had all day to sit here and school you on what the fuck is really going on.

:confused:

Some Pittsburgh Flavor

Okay, in your case, don't buy any firearms, ammunition or anything else to defend yourself with.

We would all prefer that you , and folks that think like you do, not be armed. Okay? Don't do any of this stuff the Government is recommending, either, okay? No plastic sheeting for you, no miracle duct tape, and definately no Field Protective Mask. Do not store food and water, do not prepare for any sort of trouble. Just go about your normal routine, and when they announce on the TV that everything is fine, go back to work, do not attempt to walk down the fire escape---what the heck! It's EIGHTY FLOORS, right? Shoot. Take the elevator, it's what a rational person would do. Of course, a lot of other people will be standing around in the elevator lobby with you, patiently being rational and calm. You're in the majority of calm, normal people. The paranoids and extremists are hurrying down eighty flights of stairs like crazy people.

Don't worry. You can trust the Government. The Homeland Security Uber Alles Department is only trying to make your life doubleplusgood, and anybody who tells you different may be an unstable, irrational doubleplusungood Prole. Big Brother Loves You. Face towards the monitor.

Out beyond the tree line, who knows what may be out there, laying in the brush watching with binoculars? Better stay here, close to the Soma store.

fas-cism 'fash-,iz-ez-em also 'fas-iz- n [fascismo, fr. fascio bundle , fasces group, fr. L. fascis bundle& fasces] 1921. 1 often cap ; a political philosophy, movement, or regime, (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and race above the individual , and that stands for a centralized, autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of the opposition.

2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army ~and brutality--J.W. Aldridge.

lib-er-tar-i-an , lib-er-'ter-e-an n (1789) 1 : an advocate of the doctrine of free will 2 : one who upholds the principles of absolute and unrestricted liberty, esp of thought and action --- libertarian adj libertarianism -e-a-,niz-emn

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

Originally posted by shameless self promotion

I wish i had all day to sit here and school you on what the fuck is really going on.

yeah... i could dance like that.... IF I FELT LIKE IT!!!!

sure, believe what you want. It's no secret that we actually have enemies in the middle east, and all over the world for that matter.

But i guess they hate our country for no reason. We are the most powerful country in the world, we do nothing but good.

be sure to shoot some red-dots for me, chief.

what if your country had an evil tyrannical leader with weapons of mass destruction? (less than america has, mind you) And this other country decides the only way to take care of that problem (it's not even their problem now, is it? sadaam is all about talking yang but he won't hang) is to fly "over there" (remember that? propaganda, yay!) and nuke the hell out of YOUR mother's house and all of YOUR friends coming home from church. what's that have to do with taking out the evil tyrant you say?

well,

What convinced me

Was that business about the Taliban beating women with automotive fan belts for showing their face while begging. That's gotta be worth at least a week of laser-guided GPM's falling like a driving rain. Or not. Iraq has oil. So does Texas. If you want to be patriotic, sell your car and ride the bus. Take the money you save and buy a decent long-range 7.62mm NATO bolt-action rifle with a first-rate telescopic sight. NO DICTATORS HERE.

(Edit: Take my word for it, the absolutely last thing the Government wants is an armed population. There's just so many of us, they can't do a GODDAMNED THING ABOUT IT UNLESS THEY WANT TO FIGHT A CIVIL WAR.)

Re: What convinced me

Originally posted by KaBar

Was that business about the Taliban beating women with automotive fan belts for showing their face while begging. That's gotta be worth at least a week of laser-guided GPM's falling like a driving rain. Or not. Iraq has oil. So does Texas. If you want to be patriotic, sell your car and ride the bus. Take the money you save and buy a decent long-range 7.62mm NATO bolt-action rifle with a first-rate telescopic sight. NO DICTATORS HERE.

?

i don't get you. i do ride a bike and take the bus. i take it that when the beat those begger women, they also go to yoru hosue and beat you? so you should kill them?

Hey, "Do As Thou Wilt," Pittsburgh

When the people are armed, the Government suddenly becomes rather polite. Are the people armed in Iraq? Nope. Guys like you would die screaming in the torture chambers beneath the Ministry of Love, Pittsburgh. Open your eyes, fella. Being all liberal and nice and pacifistic will get you herded into a ditch in front of a bunch of creeps with MP-38's. Best be ready to rock and roll, and it doesn't really matter who the thugs are---whether they are gang banging fuckheads from the next block, monsters from the DEA, thieves from the IRS or some jack-booted ninja from the Homeland Security Department or FEMA. Go ahead--give peace a chance, see how it works out. Some people just gotta learn the hard way. I did--that's why I'm so vocal about it.

High School Student Union 1966

Students for a Democratic Society 1967

Unitarian-Universalist Church 1967

War Resister's League 1968

IWW 1969-1976

Conscientious Objector 1969-71

U.S. Marine Corps infantry 1976-1981

Washington State National Guard (tanks) 1984

Texas Constitutional Militia 1994-1998

13th TIR 1998-2000

Things change, and people change with them. This is your time to do whatever you think is right, but look^^^ what you think is right today may not always strike you as right. Some day in the future, you may be looking back on it, and think "How could I have been so wrong?" One of the biggest stoners in my high school was drafted, joined the Navy to beat the Draft, was assigned as a gunner's mate on a PBR (Patrol Boat, Riverine) and wound up getting a chest full of medals in the "brown water Navy" in Vietnam. He's still a big stoner. He has doubts about what he did, or rather, what he allowed to happen to him. One of my best friends in the world, back in 1970, has nightmares still today of shooting a fleeing Vietnamese prisoner with an M-60. He tried alcohol, marijuana, heroin, whatever, but he gets no relief. Every night, he's back in the rice paddy with the slicks and the gunships roaring into his LZ.

He's the biggest, most determined liberal I know. But even he acknowledges that he had no control over the events--he was just swept along in the tide. And so are we.

Re: Hey, "Do As Thou Wilt," Pittsburgh

Originally posted by KaBar

When the people are armed, the Government suddenly becomes rather polite.

-------------------

he had no control over the events--he was just swept along in the tide. And so are we.

to quote GWAR here... "follow the herd... just another cow..."

call me young and impressionable, sure, whatever the fuck floats your red white and blue nuclear death submarine. swept along in the tide? SWEPT ALONG IN THE TIDE? you're acting as though it's your responsibility to take care of our great leaders' fuck-ups. i bet you have tom ridge on speed dial ready to report any towel-heads or camel jockeys who look at you the wrong way. i think your opinion is void anyway seeing how you readily went and served in the military for all those years. don't even say "oh i got college benefits" or something stupid because you know you enjoyed it, you felt proud defending this great land of ours built on the skeletons of "them stupid Red Skins" and built by tortured, diseased slaves. And you're proud of that? It's disgusting.

i bet the uneducated vagrants in hiroshima and nagasaki who had nothing to do with WWII deserved to die because "they" attacked pearl harbor, right, guy?

do me a favor, and move to iraq or afghanistan, start shooting beggar-beaters with all those guns you bought, and await our satellite guided missiles to kill you and everyone you can fucking see. because that will solve everything. right?

Guest willy.wonka

see this is all follytricks..

i want the governments of the world to fall and mass amounts of people dead, so that the tribes can journey on into that thing called the mind and survival.

if anybody can give me all that crap that has been copied and pasted, i might be able to talk about it, but on the other hand, i might just read it later on.

Archived