1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Patriot Act *breaking news*

Discussion in 'News' started by gabe rock, Feb 11, 2003.

1. gabe rock

gabe rock New Jack

Patriot Act *breaking news*

Discussion started by gabe rock - Feb 11, 2003

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/lewis.html

Breaking News
    There's an important story developing tonight at the Justice Department. The non-partisan Center for Public Integrity obtained a closely-guarded document that shows plans for a sweeping expansion of the government's police powers.

Until now, few people outside of the department, not even members of key congressional committees have seen this draft legislation. It could lead to increased surveillance and greater secrecy - all in the name of the war on terror. It raises questions about how we balance liberty and security - the rights of individuals versus the rule of law.

Bill Moyers talks to Chuck Lewis about the significance of the Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003 and how it would affect civil liberties.

* Read the Department of Justice Response (PDF)

* See Office of Legislative Affairs cover sheet for the draft legislation (PDF)

READ THE DOCUMENT
    * Download the high resolution version (PDF)
    * Download the low resolution version (PDF)

Get Adobe Acrobat

Civil Liberties and the Patriot Act:

The Center for Public Integrity
    The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan, tax-exempt organization, was founded by Charles Lewis. The mission of the Center for Public Integrity is to provide the American people with the findings of our investigations and analyses of public service, government accountability and ethics related issues. The Web site has many frequently updated features on Issue Ads, Campaign Finance and Citizen Muckraking, among others. The site is also home to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which posts stories from all over the globe.

The Department of Homeland Security
    The Department of Homeland Security offers information about Homeland Security legislation, the President's Homeland Security proposal, and analysis of the department. Other features include transcripts of speeches given by Governor Tom Ridge at the National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation 2002 Service to America Summit and President Bush's Address to the Nation concerning homeland security. Online chat transcripts with Governor Ridge are also included.

Homeland Security, Homeland Profits
    On the Corpwatch Web site (a corporate watchdog group), Wayne Madsen argues that corporations are standing to make billions from selling "surveillance and information-gathering systems to government agencies and the private sector." Madsen cautions that this technology will be utilized to intimidate and squelch dissent.

How the USA Patriot Act Puts the CIA Back in the Business of Spying On Americans
    In this issue brief, the American Civil Liberties Union argues that the USA Patriot Act includes domestic espionage against American citizens. According to the ACLU, the USA Patriot Act "permits a vast array of information gathering on U.S. citizens from school records, financial transactions, Internet activity, telephone conversations, information gleaned from grand jury proceedings and criminal investigations to be shared with the CIA (and other non-law enforcement officials) even if it pertains to Americans."

Preparing the U.S. Army for Homeland Security
    In this Rand Corporation publication, the organization analyzes the security threats facing the U.S. and helps to clarify the U.S. Army's core responsibilities in preventing and responding to attacks on the U.S. homeland.

Seizing Dictatorial Power - William Safire
    In this New York Times op-ed, journalist William Safire admonishes the Bush Administration for usurping "dictatorial powers" in the prosecution and sentencing of suspected terrorists. Safire trumpets a clarion call for all "conservative iconoclasts and card-carrying hard-liners to stand up for American values."

The Sons and Daughters of Liberty
    Village Voice correspondent Nat Hentoff reports on 300 citizens of Northhampton, Massachusetts that organized a community meeting to resist the USA Patriot Act. Under the banner of Northhampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee, Hentoff describes the town's activism as a "new American Revolution."

The Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee
    The Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee (NBORDC) is a grassroots initiative that organized to resist the U.S.A Patriot Act. The NBORDC Web site provides helpful tips to individuals and groups interested in creating their own Bill of Rights Defense Committees in their communities. The Web site also includes an issues page which analyzes provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act and Federal Executive Orders in the context of the Bill of Rights of the U.S. Constitution.

USA Patriot Act
    Thomas is the legislative search engine provided by the Library of Congress. Thomas allows users to read the complete text of the USA Patriot Act, follow its path through Congress and its many committees, review its co-sponsors in Congress, and much more.

USA Patriot Act Includes Provisions on Student Records
    The American Council on Education(ACE) highlights provisions in the USA Patriot Act that authorizes the ability of the U.S. government to collect detailed information on foreign students. According to ACE, the USA Patriot Act also directs the U.S. Attorney General to implement an electronic database to store and track foreign students from selected countries. Those educational institutions that fail to authorize the intelligence network can be denied the ability to accept foreign students.

Watching You: Systematic Federal Surveillance of Ordinary Americans
    A Cato Institute issue brief, "Watching You," documents the push to enact a federal tracking system to monitor U.S. citizens in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. If this federal tracking program is instituted, the Cato Institute warns that the government "will have perverted its most fundamental mission and destroyed the privacy and liberty that it was supposed to protect."

Task of a Terror Czar
    Robert Maginnis of the Family Research Council makes recommendations to ensure the effectiveness of the Gov. Tom Ridges' Department of Homeland Security.

The Posse Comitatus Act: Can We Maintain American Freedom Without It?
    In this essay, C. T. Rossi responds to Homeland Security head Tom Ridges' attempt to repeal the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. The Posse Comitatus Act barred the U.S. military from serving as a civilian police force, effectively protecting the right of states and local communities to police themselves. Its repeal, argues Rossi, "would open the door to old abuses" and concentrate undue power in the federal government.

gabe rock - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Feb 11, 2003

FUCK

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

TEARZ - Replied Feb 11, 2003

bad shit....

4. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks 12oz Veteran Member

ElectricitySucks - Replied Feb 11, 2003

i dont get it cause i didnt read the whole thing but i guess all breaking news sucks so,....yeah, same here. fuck.

ElectricitySucks - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied Feb 12, 2003

And You Guys Thought The Militia Guys Were Crazy

The very people that many of you guys thought of as ignorant, redneck jackasses have been bitching to high heaven about the potential for this very thing to occur for the last twenty or twenty-five years. For YEARS people have been rolling their eyes at the Constitutionalists and saying things like "The right wing is a bunch of paranoid extremists."

The John Birch Society has been screaming about the potential for fascism in America for YEARS. IT WON'T COME WITH JACKBOOTS AND TORCHLIGHT PARADES. Fascism will come to America WRAPPED IN THE AMERICAN FLAG.

LISTEN TO ME. BUY RIFLES AND AMMUNITION AND UHF/VHF RADIOS WHILE YOU STILL CAN. BUY 1,000 ROUNDS FOR EVERY RIFLE AND PISTOL YOU OWN. STOP SHOOTING UP AMMUNITION FOR FUN. LEARN TO RELOAD. STUDY THE CONSTITUTION. LEARN THE LAW.

Someday, you may find yourself faced with the choice of becoming a subject in a police state, or fighting back. You need to know what it is you are fighting to defend. READ THE CONSTITUTION. DEFEND YOUR RIGHTS POLITICALLY AS LONG AS YOU CAN. VOTE VOTE VOTE WHEN YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH.

For those that are old enough to do so, and who care one way or the other--the militia movement used to advocate buying rifles chambered for one of the Militia Three--5.56mm (.223 Remington), 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester,) or 7.62x39mm Com Bloc (this is the cartridge that fits AK-47 and SKS rifles.) Some members also went out and purchased a type of AK variant called the NHM-91, which has a 21" barrel and a permenantly attached folding bi-pod rest. They also purchased 75 round drum magazines for these rifles. They are not full-auto, but the bi-pod and the drum magazine allows accurate, sustained fire for fire support.

If you buy bolt-action rifles, buy 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester.) This is a U.S. military caliber, and cartridges in this caliber and 5.56mm (.223 Remington) will be available on the black market long after other ammunition has become scarce. Buy the best rifle and the best scope you can afford. Your scope should cost at least as much as the rifle itself. If you spend $350 for a first-class, long-range rifle, buy a first-class, long-range $350 scope to go on it. Yes, $700 is a lot of money to pay for a deer rifle. How much would you pay to not live in a dictatorship? Large, extra powerful cartridges are not necessarily better. The U.S. military and Federal LEO's use the .300 Winchester Magnum as a sniper rifle (oh, excuse me, a "precision marksman" rifle--like the precision shot that hit Vickie Weaver in the face as she stood in the door of her Idaho home with a BABY IN HER ARMS) but the advantage of owning a 7.62mm NATO rifle is that this is the same caliber as the M-60 machinegun, the M-240G and other lightweight, general purpose, belt-fed machineguns shoot. This kind of ammunition will be easy to obtain on the black market. So will 5.56mm, but the 5.56mm cartridges (M-16A2, or M-4) are not effective at long ranges (500 meters+.)

Many of you will think I am talking like a nut case. You tell that to the German Jews. You tell that to the Poles. You tell that to the Czechs, the Rwandans, the Cambodians and every other nation that has been overrun by murderous dictators. TODAY, they are following foreign students from Syria and Iran around as if they are all saboteurs. Eventually, they are going to run out of foreigners to kick out of the country. And guess what? THEN THEY START ON YOU. I do not believe that the Homeland Security Department is going to suddenly throw up it's hands and say "O-Kay. Jobs done! Let's all go back to being beat cops and insurance salesmen now." Once they have a taste of power they are not ever going to want to stop, like the DEA. They will just get bigger, and more powerful with a bigger budget and a higher salary for the "Director."
    J. Edgar Hoover used to have FBI agents over pulling weeds in his flower garden on Saturdays, in white shirts and TIES.
    That's the kind of mentality that comes along with being the "nation's watchdog." Everybody is fucking terrified of you, and you know what? IT FEELS GOOOOD TO BE KING.

I am 100% against all terrorists, and I hate and despise ALL enemies of the United States, but I also have NO INTENTION of giving up my Constitutional rights without a struggle.
    Go back and re-read this post.

KaBar - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. deth dealer

deth dealer Guest

deth dealer - Replied Feb 12, 2003

"I hate rap/rap is crap" -kurt henning spitting gum n slappin it!

sounds disturbing

7. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Feb 12, 2003

yikes.

and the answer?!

go buy a gun!!!!!!! yeeeeehhaaw.

8. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Feb 12, 2003

actually, fuck that, go buy a whole shitload of guns and
    tons of AMMO.

BOOYA.

9. optimo

optimo 12oz Junior Member

optimo - Replied Feb 12, 2003

Yeah.. apparantly this is the higest terror alert since 9/11..

im looking into getting a pistol for sure, don't know about hunting rifle's though..

optimo - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  10. some pittsburgh flavor

some pittsburgh flavor 12oz Elite Member

some pittsburgh flavor - Replied Feb 12, 2003

shut up kabar.... guns don't solve a god damned thing.
    if you honestly feel so threatened that you need an AK47 and a bathtub full of ammunition, go ahead and waste your money. that's your right i suppose. most of those guns will, however, be used in stupid crimes commited by the moronic majority of 12oz viewers. it's not too hard to dismiss the theory of terrorism, either.

what do we want? oil
    how can we obtain it? somehow seize land in the middle east
    how do we do that? start a war and hopefully win
    what cause do we have to start a war? uh... none.... let's crash some planes into the world trade center and blame it on extremist muslims whose remains will be disintegrated leaving no evidence of them even being on planes. let's tell the world they trained as pilots too.

it's only terrorism when it happens to us, right?
    GETCHER GUN JIMMY! THEM DAMN A-RABS'RE A'COMIN!

some pittsburgh flavor - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Feb 12, 2003

Re: And You Guys Thought The Militia Guys Were Crazy

this guy is right

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  12. fr8oholic

fr8oholic 12oz Veteran Member

fr8oholic - Replied Feb 12, 2003

you didn't get the chain email?

we are the new hitler.

fr8oholic - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  13. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

WebsterUno - Replied Feb 12, 2003

sounds like a story from the bible.

I dont think this is BS.
    I think its better to be
    prepared, boy am I lucky
    I live in the ghetto, home
    of the black market.

14. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

shameless self promotion - Replied Feb 12, 2003

Its not hard to dismiss the theory that your not a dumbass either is it?
    You shut the fuck up. I dont agree with kabar totally, the man speaks truth that you should know your rights, as every american should...

I wish i had all day to sit here and school you on what the fuck is really going on. But instead I will recommend that you check out some international news channels, they have a wide array of perspectives and storys, and maybe once you'll understand what the fuck is going on...

Oh, by the way, every person i have ever met from pittsburg has been a total fucking idiot. (not to forget every person i met when i lived there for a brief peroid of time..)
    Must be something in the water?

shameless self promotion - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages:
  15. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

suburbian bum - Replied Feb 12, 2003

Fuck buying a gun, i'm moving to Canada.

suburbian bum - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages: