pARDON MY iGNORANCE BUT...

Gunm

Since i get around trains so much, where is there an official resource/pictography I can get hooked up with for the following:

1. Names for all the different cars

2. Meanings of the numbers printed on the sides of the boxcars

3. What all those little labels in the plastic baggies are

4. Why there's little squares of wood bolted to the sides sometimes

5. Signal switches

anything else train train related. I figure it was time to learn something about the very things I'm always taking pictures of.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There really is no ONE list which I've found that has everything listed for codes of the freights. Yes, there are many and people will link you to some, but not one will have everything. Best bet is to search for each code as it comes across your path. A simple search for 'rail codes' or anything along those lines gives you lots.

The various numbers are different. You got Load limits and dimensions, along with the black box, which contain the build date, and sometimes the rebuild dates.

plastic bags usually contain instructions of what to do with spills or any problem with loads.

The wood is basically a bulletin board. There you will see things like 'unload this side only' and things like that.

Signals are all different. Sometimes you can tell when a inbound or out bound train is approaching and what line it's taking. Other times, they're used solely for clearance.

http://freight.railfan.ca/index.html

this site is great. One of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived