painting in winter

taco bell bomber

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Good Morning Captain

If your painting trains try doing 2 pieces at once. Fillin the first and then fillin the 2nd. Then do the outline to the 1st piece and so forth. This might give the 1st piece more time to dry since it takes alot longer in cold weather for the paint to dry. I dont know of any short cuts around painting trains in the cold, you just have to be more patient and let the paint dry.

up here in canada some of us like to use a thermos to store paint in, ya know those thermos fag bag type things. that will keep the pressure more regulated. this will help on the drips. but a cold metal surface isnt always easy, just get used to it.

i really dont have problems with drips in the winter, its mostly worrying about my fingers falling off...i think it was frost bite 3 times last year...

keeping your cans warm is really the only thing thats important to remember when winter painting, aside from your cold body

WINTER CAN STEEZ

Wrap cans in cut-off old socks to insulate them better. Throw hunter's hand warmers in the backpack (available at sporting goods stores, cheap, and mentioned in other threads). Don't use hot water, as soon as the can is exposed to air it will lose all its heat and become freezing cold very quickly.

HAND STEEZ

Try different thinsulate, neoprene, or other thin cold weather gloves, minus the trigger finger part if necessary for control. Hand in armpits restores feeling to numb fingers. (Hand in crotch does the same but may get paint directly on your ball sack - not good for your offspring.) The hunter's hand warmers are again the best.

ANTI-DRIP

Fr8o has the concept down, use thins more, and give the fill longer to dry. If the weather really sucks, but you have to get up, save the detailed burners for springtime and settle for styles that don't give you as much drip trouble.

SNOW

I really hate the footprint issues the most in winter. They give spots away, and how you got in and out, and exactly where you went if there's a chase. If you really love your chill spot, save it till the snow melts, and risk your backup spots instead. Also, when doing a spot where you must leave footprints (especially in the cuts), walk a bunch of phony routes in the quarter mile closest to the spot before you start, so if there's a chase or similar problem it's not clear which way you've gone.

cracked ass-dropping science!

. . .one thing though, the hands in the armpits thing: thats your hands in someone else's armpits. heh, saw that on fishing with john, f-ish-innnng wiiiiith john, f-ishi-innnng wiiiith joooohn.

oh and cracked a while back we were talking about children's books and i mentioned one i read that i didn't know the title to, in that same episode william defoe mentioned the one: To Build A Fire, i think that may be the one, but I could be wrong. fishing with john, f-ish-innnng wiiiiith john, f-ishi-innnng wiiiith joooohn.

To Build a Fire is not a kid's story. It's about a guy walking long distance in Alaska between villages, in like -50 temps, and he has to build a fire or he'll freeze to death. After a bunch of failures, and approaching his doom, he finally gets a fire lit. But he forgot to do it out in the open, not right underneath a tree. The fire warms the snow on the tree limbs above, which falls in big chunks and puts the fire out, and the guy dies a couple hours later. :(

Oh, that wasn't the one, but Willam DeFoe said so, that jerk, got my hopes up and shit. he mentioned a part that sounded very familiar but that i didn't remember: when the protagonist kills the wolf, guts it, and climbs inside to get warm. i know he mentioned that part, i wasn't hallucinating, what book is this, anyone? there was a fire scene in there too, so the title got me thinking it could be the one.

Archived