Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

painting in the winter

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by 2ten, Dec 1, 2003.

1. 2ten

2ten Member

Iam going to be leaving southern cali for school around christmas time and since its about 75 and sunny everyday here, paintint in the "winter" has never really been a problem.

Iam going to be moving to Nebraska this month and was wondering if its possible to paint freights in the midwest during its coldest months. I have never been around snow or sleet, and dont really know what to expect. I have heard that cans can freeze, paint wont stick to a train with a layer of sleet on it ect...

Iam just looking for a little bit of info/stories about painting in cold weather....

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

i guess you have to scrape that shit off the car with the rim of your can or something, then maybe wipe it dry with a towel. toss a few hand warmers in the bag with your cans.

3. old*824

old*824 Senior Member

11 above zero is a warm day in nebraska winter. wait until spring.

4. 2ten

2ten Member

God I hope your kidding... I have never even seen snow..

5. Rednek assho

Rednek assho Junior Member

dam that sucks i thought i had it bad

6. rob deer

rob deer Guest

brandy, brandy, brandy.

low expectations

and remember, they can follow your footprints.

7. angelofdeath

angelofdeath Elite Member

best thing to do in weather like that is step one dont paint in snow. especially if its a layup or something. an active yard, you might be able to get away with it, cause workers generally have the lines covered with foot trails. but paint drips on the snow, and your foot prints and trampled snow is a dead give away, especially if the snow if bad and the train sits a few extra days. its like you have rainbow colored snow below your peice, believe me. i would get mittens and just rip big straight letters with rusto with fat caps. let it dry for like 20 minutes before you even attempt to outline. i use those mittens that you can pull off your finger tips. i usually stick my index out to paint and cover everything else up. but its fun, go out, paint, rock out, and the best benefit all... the fucking pussies wont be out! the colder the better!!!!!!
    oh yeah what sucks is painting trains with snow on the top of the car that is melting all over your piece. thats when its time to say fuck it and leave.

8. porque

porque Senior Member

...stock tips and rusto silver...

9. 2ten

2ten Member

Thanks angelofdeath and everyone else.. I didnt even think about leaving a trail of foot prints in the snow.... I have been a pretty active painter since i stopped doing drugs, and cant imagine not painting for months at a time.. i guess i am just gonna have to stick it out and learn some new tricks.

10. southrngent

southrngent Member

waiting for the paint to dry is the worst. by the way GO BIG REDDDDD!!

11. krowteN

krowteN Guest

purchase my "painting steel in the blistering cold for dummies" book for the low price or $10.99. Over the years i have ammassed over 837 tips for painitng trains in the cold weather. everything from how to dry trains off quickly to how to keep your toes warm. they can be yours for only 10.99 through this limited time offer. email me for details...cash only!

12. fr8yardjunky

fr8yardjunky Member

just did a fr8 the other night 21 degrees with a wind chill of 8 . in what these people round here call a whiteout. the paint sticks but it it is a little thinner than the normal temps. its made for ...better than paintin in the rain you can just wipe the snow off with your hand.
    be quick with detail(outline/highlights/shell) and you ll be fine. layer our cloths !!!

13. WorldWarTen

WorldWarTen New Jack

your stuff will usually look like shit, but It's just you, the paint, and the steel. inner peace

14. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Heh...you're in for it. I bet you won't last. This is one thing the hardcore midwestern, northeastern, and Canadian heads have over cats operating in great weather year round.
    Rusto does take a long time to dry. If you don't mind changing up your style a bit, away from super clean and opaque fills, stick a Rusto fat on Krylon cans and fill in all sketchy. You can outline right away.
    Get thermal underwear for your legs. Makes a huge difference in outdoor endurance.

15. grafxnine

grafxnine New Jack

i have lived in canada all my life i move from a nice dry place to a fucking wet place but as for the cold its never stoped me only thing the cold does is keep the toys in and the cops away and as for foot prints haha i have never seen a cop look at foot prints in the snow to bust people