painting in the cold...

perfect stranger

when it comes to big simple things, painting in the cold is no big deal... but let's say i'm painting a piece on steel... sometimes my fill colors will come out super watery and drippy.... the only trains i've painted that have been succesful were a flat black, flat white, spa blue combination... almost everything else is water and ridiculously drippy no matter how hard and long i shake the can...

so, any tips on how to avoid this little problem? i know it has something to do with the cold and everyone around my way just keeps saying to me "wait until it gets warmer for pieces" but i don't really feel like waiting.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes metal tends to do that drippy thing when its cold. i just fill chill for a while then outline when its seems dry. or if your into rocking pieces on trains fill with an outline cap by the time your done filling in it should be ready to outline. paint likes to act up though alot when its shit weather try to keep your cans as warm as possible thats what ive learned.

You'd figure that we can go to the moom, fly to mars, talk to people on the other side of the planet, even the moon.... but there are no gloves that can keep you at body temperature or warmer that is thin as a latex glove.

Originally posted by InDY_500@Feb 6 2005, 03:34 AM

Wearin latex keep your hands much warmer then goin with none at all... Try usin the latex and gettin some thin work gloves or somethin with a fabric and just cuttin the finger tip off you know... Try different stuff...

Painters Touch seems to be fine in the cold, as long as you fill in lighter, even coats. Instead of one or two heavy coats, try doing 3-4 lighter mistings, until the fill is solid. The less paint applied at a time, the quicker and easier it will dry. That America's Finest stuff they sell at Home Depot is pretty good. It's made by Rusto. Black, silver and white are always safe, and the brown is killer. Good coverage.

I try to avoid regular Rusto and even American Accents in the winter, because they take a long time to dry anyways. In low temps, they take hours. Use it at night on a freight, and you're basically outlining wet on wet.

• 2 weeks later...

I live up north and its real cold , and have NEVER had a problem with my cans being too cold , like said above ur body heat keeps them warm enough to work just fine. SO:

1. Make sure the train is not FROZEN , yes metal freezes and the ice crystals will make the paint SEEM drippy/watery .

2. Bring a towel if u really want to paint , If not go back home where its warm , paint a wall or paint earlier in the day.

3. Use a STOCK to fill , its the recommended tip for coverage and pressure for a reason . The paint goes on more evenly and with an EQUALIZED pressure . Plus the AEROSOL in the can should make outlining easier .

Thats my .02

yes...for total winter conditions:

- heavy duty winter gloves with xxl size rubber gloves on them.

2. if you have a long walk to the spot and its really cold, put your paint in a bucket of hot water for a while before leaving and shake well many times etc. then wipe 'em dry as you're going out

of course it's a good idea to put the cans in a warm place when you go out. stuff as many cans inside your sweater as you feel neccessary, put the rest in a warm, windproof bag or something.

Also if you KNOW that some brand of paint or color will fuck up in cold, don't leave it for the blinks, or whatever it is that you'll do last on your piece.

winter sux ass....where im at it dont get to cold....but since we have fucked up weather...it might be warm one night and the next the cold comes in and straight freezes ur ass.....i hate it when ur fillen in and its to cold that ur finger gets stuck on sprayen position......i hate dat shyt....and when the can is to cold to hold......well i dont where gloves cause i hate taken em off and putten em on..............

Originally posted by easydoesit..@Feb 26 2005, 01:14 PM

winter sux ass....where im at it dont get to cold....but since we have fucked up weather...it might be warm one night and the next the cold comes in and straight freezes ur ass.....i hate it when ur fillen in and its to cold that ur finger gets stuck on sprayen position......i hate dat shyt....and when the can is to cold to hold......well i dont where gloves cause i hate taken em off and putten em on..............

spoken like a true king :king:

Originally posted by easydoesit..@Feb 26 2005, 12:14 PM

houston weather sucks ass

hot in december, man what the fuck?

thank god this winter wasnt as bad as last..

my two cents

do your fill on one train.. walk down 10-15 cars and start to fill another.. by the time you are done with the second trains the fiirst should be ready to outline..

I wrap my cans in old socks to keep them from turning my hands into ice cubes.. latex gloves make it worse (for me at least)

it there is more that 4 inches of snow on the ground its not worth it.. plain and simple...

my biggest problem with the winter is when the blood in my hand feels like it is frozen, then when you get into the car it starts to thaw out and it feels like someone is stabing you with a million needles....