Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

painting in the cold...

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by perfect stranger, Feb 5, 2005.

1. perfect stranger

perfect stranger New Jack

when it comes to big simple things, painting in the cold is no big deal... but let's say i'm painting a piece on steel... sometimes my fill colors will come out super watery and drippy.... the only trains i've painted that have been succesful were a flat black, flat white, spa blue combination... almost everything else is water and ridiculously drippy no matter how hard and long i shake the can...

so, any tips on how to avoid this little problem? i know it has something to do with the cold and everyone around my way just keeps saying to me "wait until it gets warmer for pieces" but i don't really feel like waiting.

2. sneak

sneak Guest

im only bothered when people get lazy cos of the cold.
    wrap up warm, kiddies.

3. graff goon

graff goon Member

yes metal tends to do that drippy thing when its cold. i just fill chill for a while then outline when its seems dry. or if your into rocking pieces on trains fill with an outline cap by the time your done filling in it should be ready to outline. paint likes to act up though alot when its shit weather try to keep your cans as warm as possible thats what ive learned.

4. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Winter is almost over anyways.

5. Pearlpaint

Pearlpaint Junior Member

Yeah, I was so pissed yesterday when I was trying to rock a filly when i noticed that the cold was too much to be spraying in. Perhaps I should be wearing latex over gloves that keep me warm

6. InDY_500

InDY_500 Veteran Member

Wearin latex keep your hands much warmer then goin with none at all... Try usin the latex and gettin some thin work gloves or somethin with a fabric and just cuttin the finger tip off you know... Try different stuff...

7. Pearlpaint

Pearlpaint Junior Member

You'd figure that we can go to the moom, fly to mars, talk to people on the other side of the planet, even the moon.... but there are no gloves that can keep you at body temperature or warmer that is thin as a latex glove.

8. The Leader

The Leader Senior Member

I live in the desert.

9. graff goon

graff goon Member

i just wear those thin ass girl gloves that are super tight that you can buy in gas stations then put the latex over then to keep grip on the can. work pretty good but it is true nothing will keep them from freezing only delay it. :clown2:

10. RemiRaw

RemiRaw New Jack

keep your paint packed tight in a bag with a fleece in your jacket..
    the body heat should keep them warm enuf to drop fills...

11. LOReSeVeNTeN

LOReSeVeNTeN Member

yeah keep your cans as warm as possible when you go out and keep your cans in the house or somewhere warm

12. Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut Elite Member

1. place can under buttocks
    2. fart
    3. paint

13. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Painters Touch seems to be fine in the cold, as long as you fill in lighter, even coats. Instead of one or two heavy coats, try doing 3-4 lighter mistings, until the fill is solid. The less paint applied at a time, the quicker and easier it will dry. That America's Finest stuff they sell at Home Depot is pretty good. It's made by Rusto. Black, silver and white are always safe, and the brown is killer. Good coverage.

I try to avoid regular Rusto and even American Accents in the winter, because they take a long time to dry anyways. In low temps, they take hours. Use it at night on a freight, and you're basically outlining wet on wet.

14. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

I live up north and its real cold , and have NEVER had a problem with my cans being too cold , like said above ur body heat keeps them warm enough to work just fine. SO:

1. Make sure the train is not FROZEN , yes metal freezes and the ice crystals will make the paint SEEM drippy/watery .

2. Bring a towel if u really want to paint , If not go back home where its warm , paint a wall or paint earlier in the day.

3. Use a STOCK to fill , its the recommended tip for coverage and pressure for a reason . The paint goes on more evenly and with an EQUALIZED pressure . Plus the AEROSOL in the can should make outlining easier .

Thats my .02

15. master bait

master bait Member

yes...for total winter conditions:
    - heavy duty winter gloves with xxl size rubber gloves on them.
    2. if you have a long walk to the spot and its really cold, put your paint in a bucket of hot water for a while before leaving and shake well many times etc. then wipe 'em dry as you're going out

of course it's a good idea to put the cans in a warm place when you go out. stuff as many cans inside your sweater as you feel neccessary, put the rest in a warm, windproof bag or something.
    Also if you KNOW that some brand of paint or color will fuck up in cold, don't leave it for the blinks, or whatever it is that you'll do last on your piece.