Painting clean

HAL

So I've been getting a bunch of requests in my PM box lately on technique tips and shit. Rather than answering individually, I figured I'd just start a little thread with pictoral illustration for all you newjacks out there. Besides, it's raining and I'm bored as fuck stuck inside the house.

Everything here was done with regular Krylon, Rusto, mixes and off brand paint with one NY thin cap. No fancy paint or expensive caps are required. This was painted at a bombed out legal wall, also.

The first step here is to toss up a sketch on the wall and fill it in. I just did a simple E made out of blocky blobs, and filled it all in. I used Krylon's "Colorworks" brand Sky Blue with a regular NY thin taken off a Krylon Workable Fixatif can.

[attachmentid=13383]

Step two is to outline it. I used Krylon Flat White with the same NY thin. In order to paint it razor sharp, I overshot the corners. You'll see why I did that later on.

[attachmentid=13384]

Walkthru_01.jpg.0d110358236d87eef7fb8c8af5346e81.jpg

Walkthru_02.jpg.6749fdd8351416fe0af09d02c122fb87.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a close up of the corners, so you can see what's going on better.

[attachmentid=13385]

In this step I wanted to pop it off the background a little, so I threw some Rusto Smoke Grey around it. I did the bubbles before putting a border on it to save myself some clean-ups later, and give the Rusto a chance to dry a little in the meantime. You can see that I got as close as possible to the outline while leaving a little space for the border.

[attachmentid=13386]

Walkthru_03.jpg.570247624eb26af6f08b233cce628d1c.jpg

Walkthru_04.jpg.8e6ebd7aefcf5978ed7b58a5e3e31836.jpg

Now I put the border on, after the bubble paint has dried enough not to drip. I used a mixed can of Krylon for this, a purplish grey color that matched the smoke grey pretty well. I would have used black, but I didn't have enough. This was also done with the same NY thin.

[attachmentid=13387]

Here's a closeup of the border. You can see that I overshot some of the lines here, so i could clean them back up with the outline. For the outside lines, I tried to be as exact as possible, because a lot of the time you can't clean up the corners with the background paint. If you can, by all means rock away.

[attachmentid=13388]

Walkthru_05.jpg.de92a22b1e3d8dcd27d5bb8101507d17.jpg

Walkthru_06.jpg.72703f3f93a6e0f2671c1fc13fa7cd1d.jpg

Here's the same section as above, going back in with the white outline and tightening it back up. I still haven't done any clean-ups in the fill yet. I always save that for last in case i get any drips or mistakes on the outline work or background.

[attachmentid=13389]

Here's another closeup of where I overshot the outline doing clean-ups, to get into some small corners. It can be done a bit easier, but not as super crisp, but I wanted to show how to do something as perfect as possible.

[attachmentid=13390]

Walkthru_07.jpg.0af3efb2c1eaaf84283fafbcec9b3502.jpg

Walkthru_08.jpg.7dc020464dae1c140d8c2b2cccde7dda.jpg

Here I finally go back in with the fill paint and clean up the interior. You can see on the bottom right where i overshot the fill into the outline, just to get that edge extra crispy. At this point, you should know what to do with that.

[attachmentid=13392]

Walkthru_10.jpg.25c6298525ee4f631fefb5f3befe2902.jpg

The letter is basically done at this point, but I think it looks a little boring. I decide to throw in a little Krylon Pacific Blue as a lowlight. It wound up being a little too close to the fill color, but I was working with scrap cans. Give me a break.

[attachmentid=13395]

Here's a close-up so you can see detail. Notice I also overshot the lowlights, so i can clean them up with the fill, as well. I also tried to set the lowlights off the outline a little, to give the letter a rounded, bubbly appearance.

[attachmentid=13396]

Walkthru_13.jpg.d253c290341576f7281a87e4fd799732.jpg

Walkthru_14.jpg.207c58c730e543d55c9ac5610ad254e9.jpg

Old Growth, just out of curiosity, how long did all that take you? A lot of toys, myself included, tend to rush shit when things aren't looking quite right. Well... I've learned from past mistakes but I'm pretty sure that's a common mistake among many writers. Especially the impatient ones.

Wheeee!

Time depends on what paint youre using and on what surface, and I guess how good you are at it. If you cut something with krylon, say when you clean up the outline over the border, by the time you do all those lines and put the cap on the border to clean up what you just did, you should be fine. However, if you're using normal Rusto, or its cold or on a metal surface, the dry time will be a little longer to ensure no sag/drips. its trial and error.

Some people will argue that this method is lame, and that painting "clean" is the ability to do all your lines in one shot with no clean ups. They're sortof right and sortof wrong. I'd like to think that as a writer you can be able to do both methods and know when to use em.

Old Growth is a show off. He didn't cut any lines last time we painted. "oooh I used a ny thin and a grey dot to make my lines crisp". Why do you lie to the children? Bastard.

Originally posted by pugsly@May 2 2005, 12:40 PM

this kind of thread needs to be made a sticky and then maybe all the new guys on the site might stop posting a new thread about this stuff,and people could add there own tutorial/walk through and ideas :) :)

i've got to agree with this. old growth knows how to write 'tutorials' very well.

threads like this may help clean up this area of 12oz, but most likely won't. there are always kids passing right over the threads they need to be reading and posting new threads....bunch of adhd havin nukkas.

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@May 2 2005, 01:21 AM

Old Growth, just out of curiosity, how long did all that take you? A lot of toys, myself included, tend to rush shit when things aren't looking quite right. Well... I've learned from past mistakes but I'm pretty sure that's a common mistake among many writers. Especially the impatient ones.

Honestly, I have no idea how long it took. I was working on a piece at the time and kinda worked on that E while test spraying cans and changing colors. That's why the light is different in every shot. If I had to guess, I'd say 15-20 minutes, taking my time to get everything right. It's really pretty tiny and simple, only a couple feet tall.

If things aren't looking right and I have the luxury of time and daylight, I'll stop before I get too far into the ugliness, take a step back, and mentally try to work things out. I might have to fix one thing, step back again, and keep doing that until I finally get a groove. Usually just about anything can be salvaged, and a lot of the time it's just minor adjustments of curvature and consistency that change something blah into halfway decent. If my train of thought has completely derailed, I'll pull out the buff and just start over from scratch. Usually I know if it's going to go well after the first couple letters are sketched out, because they all lean on each other to form the entire product. If the foundation is weak, which in my case is usually either the first or last letter, I'll try something else. It would probably help to draw something ahead of time, too. I'm real lazy about sketching and all that.

Originally posted by PushbuttonWarfare@May 2 2005, 02:21 PM

Time depends on what paint youre using and on what surface, and I guess how good you are at it. If you cut something with krylon, say when you clean up the outline over the border, by the time you do all those lines and put the cap on the border to clean up what you just did, you should be fine. However, if you're using normal Rusto, or its cold or on a metal surface, the dry time will be a little longer to ensure no sag/drips. its trial and error.

Some people will argue that this method is lame, and that painting "clean" is the ability to do all your lines in one shot with no clean ups. They're sortof right and sortof wrong. I'd like to think that as a writer you can be able to do both methods and know when to use em.

Old Growth is a show off. He didn't cut any lines last time we painted. "oooh I used a ny thin and a grey dot to make my lines crisp". Why do you lie to the children? Bastard.

Well, I could write something about painting everything "one shot clean", meaning no clean ups, but what's the point of that? Basically, it's all control and experience, which isn't something you can teach with a bunch of pictures. You just have to get familiar with paint, and feel confident with your outlines. I remember starting up and being so nervous about ruining my piece when it came time to outline. Lately I've been into painting everything one shot, because it can be so challenging and it saves some time. There's also a certain aesthetic to slightly rounded, not razor sharp, corners that appeals to me right now. You can also outline with a grey dot and just do the half pressure thing to get the tight corners. I prefer 2 inch wide outlines, myself. Make it bold, G!

Certain effects you just have to cut back and clean things up, though. Little squiggles, cracks and cuts. For a while I was doing parts of my letters that were one spray line wide, so I'd do the fill after I outlined, so the width was uniform, which is more or less cutting back. Making one line reasonably straight is a hell of a lot easier than trying to do two parallel outlines, leaving an inch of fill in between. Kema can do it somehow. I guess my hand's just not that steady. Dude's a graffiti cyborg anyways.

great thread and good points made. People don't always paint clean or want their pieces to be this crisp... but this is a good basic thing to learn. I think it would be boring if every piece was this clean... but it's a matter of opinion and style for everyone to decide by their own selves.

Kids have to realize also that their lines might still suck balls even if the spray is clean and cuts are made. Personally, if i don't concentrate, I might work with all this cutting and outlines and effects for a good while before realizing it looks like shit from 10 meters.

so always take a few steps back to see the whole thing before filling in and getting into all this detail stuff.

my 2 cents

Shit, they might as well just delete every thread in the yard except this, the paint mixing thread, and a couple of the other stickies and lock it. That was some nice knowledge being handed down right there, some that really could have helped me a few years ago. Not like I can apply it completely properly because I rarely paint.

Trying to paint a freight with almost zero light and a bunch of similar toned colors is a whole different story, but hopefully they'll make me some color nightvision goggles soon for that.

Originally posted by onesecondple@May 4 2005, 11:35 PM

oooh, now you should do three deeeeeeeeee tutorials.....nah, i mean, good idea, but graffiti aint a video game with a tutoriol, part of it is learning shit ya self, nice e though. what you write by the way if you dont mind answering...

[suggestion/comment 1]

Aside from his spelling mistakes and punctuation, I agree.;) Learning online instead of experiencing by actually painting is "dAh WeAknEsS". But just for old times sake, what's the story behind this piece. I'm more concerned about the fill-in and the background. And I still can't tell if the lighting affected this piece or not. (for instance, there's that flash effect going on; very light purple with a touch of white? to that very dark purple) I hope this makes sense. Oh, and when you're at the wall this weekend, do that sexy background-fill in. BTW, here's the piece I'm talking about.

ouija_purple.jpg

================================================

[suggestion/comment 2]

I'm not too sure of you letting out your secrets man. Aren't you afraid that someone is going to bite? Well, "afraid" isn't the world but you catch my drift. Anyway... instead of painting a regular wall. Try something completely unnecessary. "Unnecessary? What the fuck is this kid talking about?" This, my friends, is unnecessary.

delta7.jpg

^You don't see much like this. Maybe you can do a tutorial on spots that are hard to paint. Getting over rough edges and such. Maybe you can do another 3D piece...

I have more suggestions/ideas but I'm keeping them to myself. Have fun O.G.

-J.

ps - yeah, another 3D wouldn't bother me at all.

for the most part, the spelling mistakes and puncuation are on purpose.

that ouji piece is the hott too, just a talented guy

i dont think that biting is a big problem with this thread because old growth is just showing the basics, how almost everyone does it, some people do an outline first them dimensions, then their fill in, thats not totally unheard of.

I just think people need to learn themselves, not on the innernet...

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@May 5 2005, 04:13 AM

[suggestion/comment 1]

Aside from his spelling mistakes and punctuation, I agree.;) Learning online instead of experiencing by actually painting is "dAh WeAknEsS". But just for old times sake, what's the story behind this piece. I'm more concerned about the fill-in and the background. And I still can't tell if the lighting affected this piece or not. (for instance, there's that flash effect going on; very light purple with a touch of white? to that very dark purple) I hope this makes sense. Oh, and when you're at the wall this weekend, do that sexy background-fill in. BTW, here's the piece I'm talking about.

================================================

[suggestion/comment 2]

I'm not too sure of you letting out your secrets man. Aren't you afraid that someone is going to bite? Well, "afraid" isn't the world but you catch my drift. Anyway... instead of painting a regular wall. Try something completely unnecessary. "Unnecessary? What the fuck is this kid talking about?" This, my friends, is unnecessary.

^You don't see much like this. Maybe you can do a tutorial on spots that are hard to paint. Getting over rough edges and such. Maybe you can do another 3D piece...

I have more suggestions/ideas but I'm keeping them to myself. Have fun O.G.

-J.

ps - yeah, another 3D wouldn't bother me at all.

I'm not concerned at all that someone's going to bite. For one, there's about a hundred other writers that should be bitten rather than myself. Crazy technical ability on crazy letters that i can't even begin to try. For two, I'm not real possessive about my technical work. If someone wants to learn it, be my guest. I'll even teach you.

That piece is a little fucked up because of the lighting. The flick was taken later in the afternoon, and the sun was hitting some trees and creating some shadows. I wish I could replicate that effect, believe me.

As far as painting corners and such, what's so hard about that? I don't know if there's any technique to it.

I don't know if I'm the right guy to be teaching a 3D primer, but I guess I can try. I have a hard time with anything that has more than two dimensions.

I agree that people need to learn on their own. I don't see how a little instruction is going to hurt. Maybe kids will be more inclined to get out and paint if they feel they have a little direction. If anything maybe it'll improve the learning curve and I can learn a little something myself in a couple years.