Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Painting clean

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by HAL, Apr 30, 2005.

1. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

So I've been getting a bunch of requests in my PM box lately on technique tips and shit. Rather than answering individually, I figured I'd just start a little thread with pictoral illustration for all you newjacks out there. Besides, it's raining and I'm bored as fuck stuck inside the house.

Everything here was done with regular Krylon, Rusto, mixes and off brand paint with one NY thin cap. No fancy paint or expensive caps are required. This was painted at a bombed out legal wall, also.

The first step here is to toss up a sketch on the wall and fill it in. I just did a simple E made out of blocky blobs, and filled it all in. I used Krylon's "Colorworks" brand Sky Blue with a regular NY thin taken off a Krylon Workable Fixatif can.
    [attachmentid=13383]

Step two is to outline it. I used Krylon Flat White with the same NY thin. In order to paint it razor sharp, I overshot the corners. You'll see why I did that later on.
    [attachmentid=13384]

Attached Files:

2. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Here's a close up of the corners, so you can see what's going on better.
    [attachmentid=13385]

In this step I wanted to pop it off the background a little, so I threw some Rusto Smoke Grey around it. I did the bubbles before putting a border on it to save myself some clean-ups later, and give the Rusto a chance to dry a little in the meantime. You can see that I got as close as possible to the outline while leaving a little space for the border.
    [attachmentid=13386]

Attached Files:

3. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Now I put the border on, after the bubble paint has dried enough not to drip. I used a mixed can of Krylon for this, a purplish grey color that matched the smoke grey pretty well. I would have used black, but I didn't have enough. This was also done with the same NY thin.
    [attachmentid=13387]

Here's a closeup of the border. You can see that I overshot some of the lines here, so i could clean them back up with the outline. For the outside lines, I tried to be as exact as possible, because a lot of the time you can't clean up the corners with the background paint. If you can, by all means rock away.
    [attachmentid=13388]

Attached Files:

4. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Here's the same section as above, going back in with the white outline and tightening it back up. I still haven't done any clean-ups in the fill yet. I always save that for last in case i get any drips or mistakes on the outline work or background.
    [attachmentid=13389]

Here's another closeup of where I overshot the outline doing clean-ups, to get into some small corners. It can be done a bit easier, but not as super crisp, but I wanted to show how to do something as perfect as possible.
    [attachmentid=13390]

Attached Files:

5. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

The same section as above after cutting back in with the border paint. The border looks as good as it's going to get at this point.
    [attachmentid=13391]

Attached Files:

6. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Here I finally go back in with the fill paint and clean up the interior. You can see on the bottom right where i overshot the fill into the outline, just to get that edge extra crispy. At this point, you should know what to do with that.
    [attachmentid=13392]

Attached Files:

7. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Here's the fix-up of that bottom part. I overshot again, this time it was a mistake, so I have to go back and fix it.
    [attachmentid=13393]

After fixing it back up with the fill.
    [attachmentid=13394]

Attached Files:

8. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

The letter is basically done at this point, but I think it looks a little boring. I decide to throw in a little Krylon Pacific Blue as a lowlight. It wound up being a little too close to the fill color, but I was working with scrap cans. Give me a break.
    [attachmentid=13395]

Here's a close-up so you can see detail. Notice I also overshot the lowlights, so i can clean them up with the fill, as well. I also tried to set the lowlights off the outline a little, to give the letter a rounded, bubbly appearance.
    [attachmentid=13396]

Attached Files:

9. HAL

HAL Dirty Dozen Crew

Here's the lowlights after cleanups.
    [attachmentid=13397]

The final product. A monkey could do this.
    [attachmentid=13398]

Any questions or suggestions for future installments are welcome. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. dr.testical

dr.testical Senior Member

thanks dude. i like to blindfold myself and write whatever word comes to mind. thats all really,

11. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

Great idea, i really could have appreciated something like this when i started writing. Im sure some beginner trying to learn some shit will get some use out of this.

12. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

definatly a great thread.

13. WitE TrAsH

WitE TrAsH Member

Wow man. Big thumbs up to you for taking the time to build this thread. Definately a good idea that people will hopefully use when beginning. Dope thread ;)

14. Yellow Feets

Yellow Feets Senior Member

Wow. Doing this all for free? Pfffffffft. Way too nice. Should've outline the bubbles as well.

j/k.

15. porque

porque Senior Member

...you're way too nice...and i thought i was the only one that was a fan of the old colorworks 'sky blue'...i had a huge stockile of that stuff when i found it all for 30 cents a can...i only have one left now...