Paint yobs trash Potter train

se_FOUR

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003410246,00.jpg'> Coated ... carriage sprayed by louts

RELATED STORIES

• Sun Says

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR

GRAFFITI yobs have trashed the Hogwarts Express steam train used in the Harry Potter films.

And last night the paintspraying thugs were branded mindless Muggles.

In the Potter movies, Muggles are people who don’t believe in magical things — like the maroon train which transports young wizards to their boarding school.

Upset workers at the yard where the express was targeted are convinced the louts regard Harry’s world-renowned sorcery with contempt.

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003410247,00.jpg'> Former glory ... targeted carriages

as they appear in Potter movies

And one said: “It’s just a shame Harry is not around at the moment to turn them into frogs.”

The louts struck at night after breaking into the depot where the train is kept in Scarborough, North Yorks.

Under its real name, the Olton Hall, it chugs between Scarborough and York during the summer season. But its owners hire it out to Warner Bros for the Potter films.

The yobs caused thousands of pounds of damage by spraying a silver and green design, resembling futuristic homes, along two 64ft carriages. They signed it “Slobs” — the “tag” for their graffiti gang.

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003410243,00.jpg'> The gang was disturbed before the historic engine, which dates back to 1937, could be daubed.

Police have sent photos of the graffiti to experts in a bid to trace the culprits.

PC Tony Martins, of British Transport Police, said: “It must have cost them a fortune in spray paint and they must have been at work for at least an hour. It is going to be a very expensive job to get the carriages restored.”

James Shuttleworth, of the West Coast Railway Company which operates the train, said: “It is heartbreaking and has made me and the rest of the staff very angry.

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003410245,00.jpg'>

“The people who did this are mindless toerags. This will horrify the millions of Harry Potter fans.”

He said the firm was “immensely proud” of its connection with author JK Rowling’s Harry Potter phenomenon.

He added: “The Hogwarts Express is now the third most famous train in the world after the Flying Scotsman and the Rocket.”

The train featured in a classic scene in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Harry and pal Ron Weasley missed it when it left the mythical Platform 9¾ at Kings Cross, bound for Hogwarts School.

The pair got involved in high drama after they caught it up in Ron’s flying Ford Anglia.

More than £1.5BILLION a year is spent scrubbing graffiti from walls, trains and buses. Courts can give culprits one-year jail terms and £5,000 fines but they are not usually treated as serious offenders.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yobs...

I see that SO MUCH in English papers...

WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MEAN!

yobs

always it's the yobs

what shall we do with the yobs

yobs yobs yobs

you know, as an American I only got oe set of them and I never been there when they done graffiti...

Yobs

It's kinda hard to describe a yob.... I guess that if you understand what a lout is it would help...

But basically, louts are mindless jerks who are rude, obnoxious and do a lot of antisocial things. Think about this way - if an American football team shaved their heads, dressed in Nike, Addidas and various other sportswear, then walked around town drinking beer throwing bricks at things, smashing phone boxes and beating up anyone who comes in their path you pretty much have a yob.

Any other UK mans able to clarify better?

Re: Yobs

Originally posted by Spike

It's kinda hard to describe a yob.... I guess that if you understand what a lout is it would help...

But basically, louts are mindless jerks who are rude, obnoxious and do a lot of antisocial things. Think about this way - if an American football team shaved their heads, dressed in Nike, Addidas and various other sportswear, then walked around town drinking beer throwing bricks at things, smashing phone boxes and beating up anyone who comes in their path you pretty much have a yob.

Yeah exactly!

no, that was exactly true..

i never saw HArry Potter or read it, so i dont feel bad about that..

Think about this way - if an American football team shaved their heads, dressed in Nike, Addidas and various other sportswear, then walked around town drinking beer throwing bricks at things, smashing phone boxes and beating up anyone who comes in their path you pretty much have a yob.

so a yob is a group of hoodlums

^^ thats hooligans

a yob is just the daily mails way of describing anyone who's under 25 and didnt go to a private school....

Re: Re: Yobs

Originally posted by Swiffer Jet

so a yob is a group of hoodlums

No, sorry, correction - each person in that group is a yob. A yob is kinda like a hoodlum. But more British.

Originally posted by skrib139

^^ thats hooligans

a yob is just the daily mails way of describing anyone who's under 25 and didnt go to a private school....

I dunno... hooligans and yobs are basically the same I guess.

Just cuz the Daily Mail overuses yob doesn't mean the meaning changes. I don't even read the Daily Mail.

And that would make me a yob.

Re: Re: Re: Yobs

No, sorry, correction - each person in that group is a yob. A yob is kinda like a hoodlum. But more British.

I dunno... hooligans and yobs are basically the same I guess.

Just cuz the Daily Mail overuses yob doesn't mean the meaning changes. I don't even read the Daily Mail.

And that would make me a yob.

Where as a hooligan is automatically asociated to football (or soccer in the states).

Archived