outta state

Vanity

hey, i was wondering if, when getting busted in another state, your priors from a different state get carried over.... would they get carried over if i got busted in canada, or some other country?

most places, it's just a local ordinance violation, but there's a few places where charges can get pretty hectic.

gracious....

Vanity hopefullynotgonnabeincarcerated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...interesting...

...the best way to not have to worry about getting busted in another state and having that show up is to just not go back there if you get caught...seriously...even if you get arrested and charged when they release you just leave...if you were only visiting then who the fuck cares...they sure don't...i can't think of a single state that would go through the trouble of extriditing(sp?) a graffitti case...most states only extridite from adjacent states anyway...

...but if you do decide to go to court...it will show that you have a conviction in another state but they won't have the information on your sentence (most likely at least...i mean they could find this out if they reallly wanted you bad or something but in most cases you won't have to worry about it) like if you have suspended time or something like that...so you will simply be sentenced based off of your current charge and the fact that you have priors...when you return to your state you could face extra trouble...

...this actually also applies to counties in most cases...i know someone that was carrying a huge suspended sentence in one county and got busted in another one and they had no idea at his sentenceing so they just gave him another suspended sentence...

states DO NOT automatically share criminal records

(i know from experience)

HOWEVER.

THEY CAN LOOK.

so, if you have priors say from, florida, and you get busted in alabama, you may be ok..

BUT if you have a florida license/ID they can, and likely will, go look at any available records from florida.

the moral:

if you get busted, do not bring up any priors unless they were connected to the state your ID was issued in.

if you can, bring up a really innocuous prior, such as "i got busted on new years for drunk in public"

or "i got thrown in the clink for peeing in a stairwell"

(if you've got something like that)

an FBI search will bring up EVERYTHING

including expunged records!

Originally posted by porque

...the best way to not have to worry about getting busted in another state and having that show up is to just not go back there if you get caught...seriously...even if you get arrested and charged when they release you just leave...if you were only visiting then who the fuck cares...they sure don't...i can't think of a single state that would go through the trouble of extriditing(sp?) a graffitti case...most states only extridite from adjacent states anyway...

true, but i would hate to have that waiting on my record to bite me in the ass on the whim that if i did get in trouble again, being wanted in another state is the last thing you would need coming back...

i know for a fact some states jump tickets over. i got a nice speeding ticket on the way home from visiting my girl at the time from some college way out there and was like, shit i aint gonna pay it, it wont carry over, and i'll just keep it cool when i go back. to my surprise i received a letter from the nj dept. of motor vehicles "reminding" me i had this outstanding ticket in PA and that the points do and were carrying over. so they got me like that.

Originally posted by GamblersGrin

i know for a fact some states jump tickets over. i got a nice speeding ticket on the way home from visiting my girl at the time from some college way out there and was like, shit i aint gonna pay it, it wont carry over, and i'll just keep it cool when i go back. to my surprise i received a letter from the nj dept. of motor vehicles "reminding" me i had this outstanding ticket in PA and that the points do and were carrying over. so they got me like that.

haha, that sucks man

Archived