Osama wanted dead or alive..Jordans back..Risky applies to art school

Guest Risky Sizzle

Guest Risky Sizzle

All in relation to the recent tragic events and some of the more Bigger headlines... I have been given the task of putting together a portfolio for the some of the local art schools ..Im clueless as to what I should go for or what they might be looking for.. (mediums,style,subjects etc) I'm calling on some help from any of the many art geeks on here..that have experience with art school and applying to them... holla

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the art schools want to know that you know what you're doing. They want to see a good basic understanding of perspective, shading, composition, human form....they dont want you to have your whole "style" figured out yet or be a master at any of these or anything like that, they just want to make sure you have a clue. I would put work that shows you have an understanding of those things.....put some stylized things in, but the main focus should be that you know what youre doing for the most part. (but ask each school individually, some schools may be looking for somehting specific)

mix black and white and color and maybe some more personal stuff for the area of study you are going into. i know when i did all that shit all the schools were looking for something different, but the common shit was good drawing skills and basic skills like value, perspective light and linework. they're going to want to see creativity, but they want to know you can do the basics.

paintings are good. so is mixed media cuz it shows you explore, but i would think charcoal and pencil drawings are the most important. make sure you include some figure drawings. most incoming freshman don't have a lot of that and if they're good it will separate you from the rest.

but then again it all depends on what you're going into as far as major and all that.

i can't believe i wrote more than hot, holla, or that shit is fresh.

hope that helped.

dwayne wayne--its a different world

Guest Risky Sizzle

i guess i was focusing more on personal style than showing any technicality, so to speak.. I'll stick to still life and observational shit , more self portraits and more shit ... thanks a bunch, really

if you have any scupltural or 3d stuff, include that (just take slides or something). Schools like to see a range of mediums used. And also include rough or incomplete sketches.. they like that (it gives them an idea about your talent).. anyways, good luck

Guest imported_Tesseract

They like to see that you are an interesting person.

You're going there to learn so your interest is the only garranty they can have.

So put up the shit you like the most go there and explain them why...

my cousin got into the New York Academy of Arts (or some name like that, some good art school in New York) by drawing a black and white picture of a bedsheet on a clothsline blowing in the wind. i suggest you do something similiar. while everyones drawing fruitbaskets and houses, he did what everyone else failed to see, sophistication in the simple. figure it out

if possible take a human figure drawing class, because most high school age kids dont have access to that. if there is no way you can, do self portraits, try doing full length ones. def. do lots of drawings with all the basics. and if you do still lifes, try to make them intresting. pick things youd like to draw, not banal stuff like fruit. never draw from photos because you can always tell.

show a lot of variety, 3d stuff, photo, painting, whatever..

if you can try to go to a national portfolio day and then just bring everything you possibly can.

do something brilliant like paint the school and tlel them thats your portfolio..you brought it right to them...and make sure you do several style throwies/hands...do some simples you know...show you've got many techniques and styles

someone had to be the asshole.

Guest Risky Sizzle

good looking out on all the advice....no doubt ,I'm taking all of these suggestions into a account ... i guess the bottom line is good variety and sketches and basic shit is kudos. I'll probably be posting some of what I already got for some feedback...

SenorSeven:do something brilliant like paint the school and tlel them thats your portfolio..you brought it right to them...and make sure you do several style throwies/hands...do some simples you know...show you've got many techniques and styles

someone had to be the asshole.

You were right on cue...

Archived