Optical zoom ish...mathphotonerds help

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

So, as a late christmas gift for my digi i decided to get a hook up lens.

My camera has a 5x optical zoom lens and the tele screw-on lens has another 1,7x .

According to sony 5x optical means 38x190mm in conventional 35mm cameras.

According to another shady site of you multiply the convetional max value (190) with the additional zoom (1,7x) you get the final zoom value.

so, 190x1,7 = 323mm...thats a hell lot of zoom for a ninja to be happy with.

Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the mathematic formula before i drop 300 europeans on that sucker?

ps. In case i made this thread before, sorry..being ambitiously broke makes you repeat yourself.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Tesseract

So, as a late christmas gift for my digi i decided to get a hook up lens.

My camera has a 5x optical zoom lens and the tele screw-on lens has another 1,7x .

According to sony 5x optical means 38x190mm in conventional 35mm cameras.

According to another shady site of you multiply the convetional max value (190) with the additional zoom (1,7x) you get the final zoom value.

so, 190x1,7 = 323mm...thats a hell lot of zoom for a ninja to be happy with.

Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the mathematic formula before i drop 300 europeans on that sucker?

ps. In case i made this thread before, sorry..being ambitiously broke makes you repeat yourself.

I would check out a few things before you buy a telephoto add on what ever you call it. Technically yes, you'd have a 64mm x 323mm. But what the equals is = crap. In 35mm cameras, you almost never see such a horrid range. The reason is primarily that as you increase lenses to that length, the aperature decreases by so much that you're left with dark photos with vignetting towards the corners. Also, with such a range you lose focusing speed as well. I would suggest that you borrow a camera that has a 300mm end length. It's not as useful as you think. I had a 100mm to 300mm Canon lens for my Elan 7e and N-1 and I found that it was not as helpful as you'd think. Rarely did I use it, and I covered a broad spectrum of photography objects. What do you plan on using it for?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Interesting points, The lens i'm talking about is a screw on lens so it doesnt affect the apperture values...I can still have a 2.4 value when in full zoom. Also the use for that lens will be mostly on a tripod and using the manual focus would make things faster. I plan to shoot steady subjects so once i do my settings i can shoot over and over fast. Being the only option i have on this digi i think i'll buy it. lets see.

Originally posted by Tesseract

Interesting points, The lens i'm talking about is a screw on lens so it doesnt affect the apperture values...I can still have a 2.4 value when in full zoom. Also the use for that lens will be mostly on a tripod and using the manual focus would make things faster. I plan to shoot steady subjects so once i do my settings i can shoot over and over fast. Being the only option i have on this digi i think i'll buy it. lets see.

You're going to lose a lot of light when fully zoomed and shooting at 2.4...

Archived