Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Oprah Winfrey Gives Cars to Audience

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by sarcasm, Sep 13, 2004.

1. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...2/cx10109131600

CHICAGO - Oprah Winfrey celebrated the premiere of her 19th season by surprising each of her 276 audience members with a new car.

Photo
    AP Photo

Reuters Photo
    Reuters
    Slideshow Slideshow: Oprah Winfrey

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said on the show that aired Monday.

Winfrey said the audience members were chosen because their friends or family had written about their need for a new car. One woman's young son said she drove a car that "looks like she got into a gunfight"; another couple had almost 400,000 miles on their two vehicles.

Making sure the audience was kept in suspense, Winfrey opened the show by calling 11 people onto the stage. She gave each of them a car — a Pontiac G6.

She then had gift boxes distributed to the rest of the audience and said one of the boxes contained keys to a 12th car. But when everyone opened the boxes, each had a set of keys.

"Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!" Winfrey yelled as she jumped up and down on the stage.

The audience screamed, cried and hugged each other — then followed Winfrey out to the parking lot of her Harpo Studios to see their Pontiacs, all decorated with giant red bows.

The cars, which retail for $28,000, were donated by Pontiac.

"A little idea grew into a big idea," Mary Henige of Pontiac told The Associated Press.

She added that Pontiac will pay for the taxes and the customizing of the cars.

In other segments on the show, taped Thursday, Winfrey surprised a 20-year-old girl who had spent years in foster care and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and $10,000 in clothes. And a family with eight foster children who were going to be kicked out of their house were given $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

"The Oprah Winfrey Show," which debuted in 1986, is syndicated to 212 domestic markets and 109 countries.

i dont' care what ya'll think, i gotta find my way to chicago, and get my ass into the audience of the oprah show.

2. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

They were talking about this on sports radio today, of all places. I went to the dentists right when it was airing and the hygeinists were trying to figure out what the surprise was.

3. 2 blaazed

2 blaazed New Jack

wow...that amazing...shes always been known for hooking her audience up

4. omar

omar Junior Member

anyone ever see the SNL about the Opera show when they were giving away shit
    man was it funny, best thing since naked girls

5. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Damn, go Oprah.

Oprah for president in '08!

6. 23578

23578 Elite Member

That was fucking aweful, 150 screaming middle aged women (it just happened to be on;) ). I thought it was pretty cool what she did for that girl though, she looked pretty hot too afterward, like i'da wish she'd come to my school. well, i'd have to have a school for that but. . .I 'd vote for you O if you'd give me a car.

7. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

thats pretty fucking cool...but I hafta say...I don't think you'd see a car company that could actually sell its cars donating them.

http://www.autosite.com/images/edphotos/previews/fullsize/2005-pontiac-g6-front.jpg'>

I'm not really a fan of Pontiacs. the concept version looked cooler.
    I hate that standard Pontiac grille.

[img]http://www.gmcanada.com/english/gminnovation/ca/pont_g6_main_bg.jpg'>

8. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

9. Gunm

Gunm Banned

:D

nice....really decent of Oprah to hook it up like that. She's super rich from what i understand

10. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

she didnt give the cars away. the car company did. she didnt hook anyone up. then maury is a great man for running dna tests on 12 men to find out who is taquishas babys daddy.

11. Gunm

Gunm Banned

oh...

welll....

Oprah is a cunt then:D

12. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

I wonder who is going to pay the taxes on the cars.

13. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

i think they said the Pontiac dealer/Oprah or whoever would pay all the taxes and even customize them for each person.........

dude, i thought it was tight that she gave everybody in the audience apple computers before... but dude, cars.... i want a car from oprah

14. »§ÜGÅR«

»§ÜGÅR« Senior Member

:( dammit. I wish i had known about this.

oprah really is a generous person tho. I like oprah. :)

15. StarzAbove

StarzAbove Veteran Member