Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

open water

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by jakepaints, Aug 17, 2004.

1. jakepaints

jakepaints Junior Member

http://movies.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/open_water/images/land_image.jpg'>

[url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/open_water/]http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/open_water/[/url]
    Workaholic yuppie couple Susan (Blanchard Ryan) and Daniel (Daniel Travis) go on a last-minute tropical diving trip together, hoping to rescue their stress-filled marriage and discover one another again - but what they find instead is abandonment, vulnerability and terror after a crowded tour boat mistakenly leaves them behind, floating in open water miles from anywhere. The couple must endure stinging jellyfish, cold, exhaustion, dehydration, hunger, sea sickness, cramps, as well as their own bickering, with only their inflatable vests and each other for support - and worst of all, more and more sharks are closing in, their initial curiosity turning to an instinct that is far more life-threateningly primal.

Although 'Open Water' is loosely based on a true story, the action has been transferred from Australia's Great Barrier Reef to an anonymous Carribean locale, and writer/director Chris Kentis has changed his characters' names and stripped their backstory to its bare bones before plunging them into the deep. The dialogue may be hokey ("This is supposed to be a vacation...and boy do we need one", etc.), but the film compensates for such cliché with a narrative economy that takes Susan and Daniel from their connected-up life of cellphones and e-mail to the most extreme isolation imaginable in remarkably few steps, so that viewers are quickly reeled into identifying with their plight.

The filmstock lacks the widescreen crispness that a bigger budget would have afforded, but the cheap, holiday-video look only adds to the sense of verité, without diminishing the powerful effect of seeing two lone figures engulfed by vast open waters and literally swimming with sharks - an evocative image, if ever there was one, of human desolation, so that the poetry of despair resonates deep beneath the film's rippling surface right up to the final credits.

'Open Water' is also very suspenseful, with enough tension to have you gnawing furiously at your own extremities, and nodding in uncomfortable agreement with Susan as she says "I don't know what's worse, seeing them or not seeing them". There are sharks everywhere in this film - viewed murkily underwater through Daniel's goggles, unexpectedly breaching the surface mere feet away from the hapless pair, snapping at seagulls, or, in an unforgettably horrifying image, filmed from above circling in a pack beneath Susan while she sleeps. Yet even when the sharks are not visible, the knowledge of their presence fills the film with indescribable dread - an effect taken to its very limit in a night sequence shot in total darkness occasionally punctuated by lightning that reveals hysterical humans and the odd flash of shark. The film lacked the budget to employ cheesey Jaws-style animatronics or 'Deep Blue Sea'-type CGI - but the real deal proves to be less predictable and far more frightening, making you catch your breath not just on behalf of the characters, but also of cast and crew who were in the water surrounded by the toothy predators.

A harrowing film which expands the horizons of watery terror.

fuck yeah this movie looks fucking awesome. personally that kind of shit has always freaked the shit out of me more than anything else, all the more reason to see it though. looks too dope

2. Gunm

Gunm Banned

It's because of movies like this that i have an extreme aversion to swimming in the ocean or deep lakes/rivers

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

my scuba-diving co-worker is waiting to see it.
    Just whe nthe scuba guys got over jaws... along comes another one.

yeah it's true..... We left the ocean and cant really go back.

4. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

5. LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra Senior Member

i wanna see this shit, looks pretty scarrry

6. THE CORONER

THE CORONER Banned

i think itll be boring as fuck, a jaws ripoff

7. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

i think that movie will be too stressful to watch..kinda like a more realistic and more fucked up blairwitch project

who really wants to watch 2 people trying to stay alive in the water with a shark for 1hour and 45 minutes? where are the explosions and pigmees with poisonous darts?

8. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Oh man.....I can't think of anything worse than being stranded in the middle of the ocean.

9. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Peter Benchley (sp) himself said that he regrets adding to the fear and misunderstanding people have for sharks because of his book, and subsequent movie, Jaws.

I sure hope this movie doesn’t add to the stigma around those beautiful creatures.

I saw the commercial for this movie, and it didn’t look too hot. I don’t give a fuck about some young, white, yuppie couple in the ocean – let them have the honour of being ripped to shreds by the sleek top predator of the Earth's final frontier.

10. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

what.... there's gonna be a polar bear?

;)

11. MOOGLE?

MOOGLE? 12oz Loyalist

http://aipm.wellnesscheckpoint.com/library/aipm/health@home/gif/hemroids.jpg'>
    hemroids

12. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

I heard there was gonna be a Scuzzlebutt.

[​IMG]