open panels...who's allowed to paint and who isnt?

Southern kid

i never thought about it until recently.....the theory that there is a lack of panels in a city due to too many writers wanting their numbers. so what happens. lets say X Y and Z, 3 "known" writers want 500 a year a piece. in a perfect world thats 1500 freight cars. well newjack talent A has potential and has paid his dues, but moved to a new city and finds a chill spot. writer A paints 3 panels in this 10 car spot. X Y and Z show up..pissed that 3 of the panels are already crushed. X Y and Z now hate writer A for 'blowing the spot.' where's the happy medium? do X Y and Z sacrifice less numbers so that this new talent has a chance to be something or do X Y and Z play 'gatekeeper' and shut him out so they can get their panels for the year. should it be first come first serve? or should writer A realize that XYZ and crew were there first and A has no room to grow. and say there's 4 spots in town just like this, and thats it. so there's limited boxes...limited panels..and unlimited kids in line waiting to paint. im just curious as to what happens. any ideas? who gets what.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umm lets see well writer A should try to link up with XYZ or vice versa.

but in the real world theres alway gonna be writers haten one another but if A has what it takes then i see no harm in him burnin there unless he leaves a mess then that leads to heatn out one's spot so keep it clean like a diamond ring

Guest amorphic

anyone who isn't satisfied doing graff unless they get their correct number of cars painted a year is missing the point.

first off, boxcars arent the only kind of cars out there...rush the hoppers, the coal cars, the gondolas....get em' all. again...if you only paint boxcars than your also missing the point.

my opinion, in a utopic world the oldest writer or crew in the city should have layup rites (just my opinion). by rites i dont mean taking both sides of every car every time they switch in new cars. i think harmony between writers in any city is an achievable goal...but knowing writers like i do, thats almost always impossible...i know from my own experience if some kids came here and really blew up a spot then i would just take them out...with whatever...pieces, thro ups etc, but 4 pannels in a 10 car spot is hardly blowing up a spot. and im sure there are other spots in the city besides the one spot...id say writer a should try to reach some sort of common ground with xyz...wars rarely proove anything and only waste paint. if this is not possible than it should be a first come first serve thing. but then you have to go to the yard straped..if someone gets hurt then the spot will really be hot. i mean its not like there are more writers out there than trains...if we just put our egos in our back pockets for a split second we would see there is a way for all of us to get up without taking out each others spots and "gatekeeping". furthermore if these kids (xyz) are trying to do 500 pieces from one spot thats pretty fuckin stupid anyway. sorry im ramblin but its just funny to me how writers think space is really an issue on freights. its not...no matter how you slice it. there is always another spot. quit (this is not being directed at any one person) being so afraid to hit anything other than boxcars and youll see just how much space there really is out there.

right on...im right with you zed. but there are cities with less freight traffic than others and there are cities with less spots than others, obviously. something i dont think ya'll picked up on was the 'known' part of the writers XYZ. A is unknown...XYZ arent. i think that also plays a big difference. zed hit on that with the ego issue. just thoughts...12oz has been kinda slow i'm trying to make my miserable hot summer more enjoyable.

Since XYZ are known, and A knows they are from his new area, and A is sort of up-and-coming, and XYZ actually have fewer spots than you'd think given their output, I think A should have tried to hook up with XYZ before hitting any of their spots, key word "before". If XYZ are reasonable, and A is smart, clean and ninja-styled as he says, and makes it plain he wants to be doing a few panels, they can probably work something out. I think 4 out of 10 is a high number to try and take away from a serious, well-established crew with limited spots. (It's a high number to be crushing after every refresh, actually, but we assume XYZ know how to handle their spots.)

I think if steel is very important to A, he had to know this was going to be an issue before deciding on the move to XYZville, and might have considered another location. (Of course, we can't always pick and choose the ideal place to live for reasons of $$ or schooling or whatever, so I'm not without sympathy.) And I have to say bringing up XYZ's numbers, like they're "hogging" panels, doesn't move me at all. When you have a crew that crushes shit, and newcomers move into their spots and want a cut, it's just natural to be annoyed, even if the newcomer is respectful. I have just been dealing with increasing crowds at some of my spots, and it's getting hostile. Toys are getting lined, and a guy who reminds me of A is out in the cold - nobody's calling him up to go paint, and he's been sort of fobbed off with the "leftover" spots that are sketchy or get lousy cars, even though he's a cool dude and has made it clear he respects "spot tenure". Which is kind of fucked up but it demonstrates how some people are about their steel - pretty serious.

I hate to say this, because I know who A is and I've painted with XYZ...but the hard answer is, XYZ were there first, there's not a lot of space to share without driving 300 miles, and A really has to respect that. And the very first step would have been approaching XYZ in person.

i would say that beyond what cracked said, that writer A should try and cool things out with xyz, and then ask for a panel or two. A might not get big numbers, but he can focus on doing one or two really nice cars, as opposed to 5 regular cars. in the end, i would hope it would be just as satisfying.

since A and xyz have mutual aquaintances, perhaps they could be employed in the initial negotiations.

in the last few months i seen a lot of shit gone right over. reason being, lack of panels. the heads who paint the yard paint the yard. if it rolls up its fair game. of course you gotta burn it if you go over it, but its funny, one panel was hit with three peices in two days and only one rolled out.

xyz can get fucked..writer A should take that spot ..start hacking their spots around the city..and beat up the smallest guy thats xyz..then lay low...fuck freight edicat..thats retarted..nobody has the right to paint trains anyhow..i cover old streaks and do floaters..what?

Guest oldfaithful

if A has talent and xyz are going over his shit just to get numbers

thats a pretty toy atitude -it looks to me that some of these cats out there pianting for numbers dont even look at how bland their shit looks cause there not looking at what theyre pianting just counting the numbers and not doing anything new you can be noticed for doing ill shit even if you didnt do 500 fr8s am i the only one getting sick of the repetitiveness of some xyz's

Originally posted by GLASS*ETCH

if it rolls up its fair game. of course you gotta burn it if you go over it

this seems simple enough

in a perfect world, there would be enough harmony among people with similar interests that we could all please each other with the proper freight etiquette...

but pleasing everyone, conforming to everyone's (or even just xyz's) ideas about what is or isn't okay/fair game..is next to impossible..

thats pretty general to. personally, ill paint a door before going over anyting qaulity on a panel.

the situation went down like this.

writer a who is actually more like writer b cause a sounds a bit wiser went over a panel with a peice allready on it. x came up and went over b, then y came over and went over x. x wasnt trippen y went over him cause he had 4 other panels. however both x y and z were irritated that abc d and e were even in the yard. so now abcd and e get capped every time they get seen, run the risk of getting jacked by either qrswxy and z not to mention their little hood rat homeys 123 and 4 who hang out in the yard with a strap looking to jack any writers that arent q through z.

* and t u and v got a yard pass to.

and a ramble note, freight yard pass's are nothing new. i recall the rules of a huge yard that has since been blown off the map with heat. first off, dont paint it ever, second if you do paint it and your shit gets seen its gets capped as well as anything else you have running in the city, and third if you get caught in the act or with a bag of paint in the yard..youd be lucky to get away with out a bruising but at the very least you would be leaving 3 new assholes from the heads that caught you ripping you apart. rules from 96.

what if writer A wants to paint a layup that writers xyz paint all the time.. and you have heard by some off chance that if they catch anyone there not down with crews 1 2 or 3 that said person will get fucked up. writer A doesnt necessarily enjoy knowing, talking, etc with other writers.. but he likes the spot.. and it isnt as though xyz actually watch thier numbers at said layup.. infact what they have there is quite a ridiculous amount.. writer A only wants to paint.. he doesnt want beef.. .. xyz or all well known as well...

what should writer a do to not really be down with these writers.. because he doesnt exactly like other writers.. as previously stated.. but just to let them know.. hey.. i want to start painting here.. just leave me alone. ..

um.. yeah.. thats about it.

Guest TrustEvil

i think writers A & X Y Z, as well as everyone in between, could paint the same spots (not that i think it's a great idea to have so much traffic in one spot(s)) if all parties involved knew enough about respect to get over and still not step on any toes or blow the spot...sadly, the truth of the matter is, most writers are disrespectful and just plain stupid...i mean i'm surprised half of them can even tie their own damn shoes considering all the bozo shit they pull. it really is amazing how many dumb fucks are involved in graffiti...but i guess it often appeals to the lowest common denominator...even more surprising is the fact that some of these idiots can get over at the same spots for so long considering their lack of ninja-like tactics...pathetic.

so, if every writer was an intelligent, respectful ninja, then everything would be peachy...but that isn't the case, so the war rages on.

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Since XYZ are known, and A knows they are from his new area, and A is sort of up-and-coming, and XYZ actually have fewer spots than you'd think given their output, I think A should have tried to hook up with XYZ before hitting any of their spots, key word "before". If XYZ are reasonable, and A is smart, clean and ninja-styled as he says, and makes it plain he wants to be doing a few panels, they can probably work something out. I think 4 out of 10 is a high number to try and take away from a serious, well-established crew with limited spots. (It's a high number to be crushing after every refresh, actually, but we assume XYZ know how to handle their spots.)

I think if steel is very important to A, he had to know this was going to be an issue before deciding on the move to XYZville, and might have considered another location. (Of course, we can't always pick and choose the ideal place to live for reasons of $$ or schooling or whatever, so I'm not without sympathy.) And I have to say bringing up XYZ's numbers, like they're "hogging" panels, doesn't move me at all. When you have a crew that crushes shit, and newcomers move into their spots and want a cut, it's just natural to be annoyed, even if the newcomer is respectful. I have just been dealing with increasing crowds at some of my spots, and it's getting hostile. Toys are getting lined, and a guy who reminds me of A is out in the cold - nobody's calling him up to go paint, and he's been sort of fobbed off with the "leftover" spots that are sketchy or get lousy cars, even though he's a cool dude and has made it clear he respects "spot tenure". Which is kind of fucked up but it demonstrates how some people are about their steel - pretty serious.

I hate to say this, because I know who A is and I've painted with XYZ...but the hard answer is, XYZ were there first, there's not a lot of space to share without driving 300 miles, and A really has to respect that. And the very first step would have been approaching XYZ in person.

if you got one court and kids are already balling? do you just start taking layups in the middle of the game?

mother fucking "gatekeeper"... hold your shit down at all costs, Especially to out of towners...they get more shit on here then locals....either way im not into sharing shit...i did not read much of what fools wrote but mr cracked got the idea, he just needs to be more firm....

i would have to say that whoever is willing to wait in the bushes and beat some ass is the one who gets the panel. i mean what "rule" is going to prevent a beating? if you are getting dissed i guess you should rumble. i mean if you are wack then you shouldn't play with the big boys, but if you have paid your dues and are getting dissed, then go dog-eat-dog on those fools!

if these big name guys are hitting several spots in a certain town, it's because they chose those spots, not because they are the only ones. whether it's because the spot is chill, or has nice cars, or is close to their house or whatever, every spot is a choice. if you are new in town, then your choices aren't the same as they would be if you were the first one to find a given spot. if you have a car, it might mean that you have to drive the 45 minutes or an hour or more to find another spot that the locals don't care for.

sucks, but even in towns with very few spots, there is always another town near by with one or two that go relatively unnoticed. create your own spot. seems like most of the big names wouldn't have time for the drama mitigating this kind of shit can become. lots of people drive a long way just to bench, so you might have to deal with the inconvenience of driving more the 5 minutes to your spot to paint too. it's just the realities of having lots of folks on the lines now a days.

Archived