Oolong the Rabbit

casekonly

http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

pancake3.jpg

"The rabbit of this day was observed this way."

And so begins each entry in Oolong's photo diary. But first let me explain.

I first discovered this website in June 2001. I had been searching for random images when I came across the photograph on the right.

From that point I knew I had to find out the story behind this photo. I looked at the url of the picture, and traced back to the original site.

What I found was simply amazing. Picture after picture of the cutest rabbit I had ever seen. And many with various objects balanced on his head, also known as "Head performance" by his owner.

I spent the next 3 hours going completely through every single picture on the site, reading every caption and comment and saving them all to my computer. I checked back every week waiting hopefully for each new installment too.

I checked the counter on the site, and I was suprised at how very few visitors there had been to the site, about 2000 by my first count. It was then I realised this was an untouched website, probably only visited regularly by the owner and his friends in its 4 years on the net. I decided then to keep the site a secret, and I did for the next few months.

Then I began sending a few friends this picture. Many of you have probably seen it around before. It was my favourite picture, and despite my friends asking where I got it, I would not tell them. I wanted Oolong to remain a secret. Then one time I made the mistake of linking directly to the url of the picture at Oolongs website.

From there the url was sent around, and people found out about the main site, and all the pictures. A few people posted links to Oolongs site on some message boards, and from there it exploded. Oolong got over 150 thousand hits in just one week.

Oolong's owner posted this message following his rise in popularity. It made me feel sad, and I felt somehow I had caused the peaceful little world of Oolong to become an object of mockery among the internet community. I still feel that way to some extent, however I have chosen to create this area of my site as a tribute to Oolong. I hope you enjoy it.

Here are some facts about Oolong.

Oolong

Species: Oryctolagus cuniculus (Domestic Rabbit)

Birthday: July 28

Sex: Male

Owner: Hironori Akutagawa

Origins of Name: Oolong is a kind of tea. Most popular in China.

So how did Oolong's owner discover his rabbits unique ability for "Head Performance"? Well from what I can tell on the 24th of May 1999, Oolong balanced his first object on his head.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@Jun 10 2005, 05:57 PM

I know you've been on 12oz long enough to have witnessed the fascination with all things Oolong. Hell, I think Pistol created "Oolong has a posse" stickers.

yeah, but it's fun to rehash old shit and make people angry...but oolong could never make people angry, huh?

rental: no, i was referring to the humping chicken. i'm down with tuna sammiches now.

Guest imported_b0b

Those Oolong the rabbit stickers were hot, but it is a little sad that Oolong died. RIPower Oolong. I'll pour a little on the floor for the rabbit that is no more.