Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Oolong the Rabbit

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Jun 10, 2005.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

[​IMG]

"The rabbit of this day was observed this way."

And so begins each entry in Oolong's photo diary. But first let me explain.

I first discovered this website in June 2001. I had been searching for random images when I came across the photograph on the right.

From that point I knew I had to find out the story behind this photo. I looked at the url of the picture, and traced back to the original site.
    What I found was simply amazing. Picture after picture of the cutest rabbit I had ever seen. And many with various objects balanced on his head, also known as "Head performance" by his owner.

I spent the next 3 hours going completely through every single picture on the site, reading every caption and comment and saving them all to my computer. I checked back every week waiting hopefully for each new installment too.

I checked the counter on the site, and I was suprised at how very few visitors there had been to the site, about 2000 by my first count. It was then I realised this was an untouched website, probably only visited regularly by the owner and his friends in its 4 years on the net. I decided then to keep the site a secret, and I did for the next few months.

Then I began sending a few friends this picture. Many of you have probably seen it around before. It was my favourite picture, and despite my friends asking where I got it, I would not tell them. I wanted Oolong to remain a secret. Then one time I made the mistake of linking directly to the url of the picture at Oolongs website.
    From there the url was sent around, and people found out about the main site, and all the pictures. A few people posted links to Oolongs site on some message boards, and from there it exploded. Oolong got over 150 thousand hits in just one week.

Oolong's owner posted this message following his rise in popularity. It made me feel sad, and I felt somehow I had caused the peaceful little world of Oolong to become an object of mockery among the internet community. I still feel that way to some extent, however I have chosen to create this area of my site as a tribute to Oolong. I hope you enjoy it.

Here are some facts about Oolong.

Oolong
    Species: Oryctolagus cuniculus (Domestic Rabbit)
    Birthday: July 28
    Sex: Male
    Owner: Hironori Akutagawa
    Origins of Name: Oolong is a kind of tea. Most popular in China.

So how did Oolong's owner discover his rabbits unique ability for "Head Performance"? Well from what I can tell on the 24th of May 1999, Oolong balanced his first object on his head.

2. 2 blaazed

2 blaazed New Jack

3. Holy shit have you missed the boat on this.

4. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

I know you've been on 12oz long enough to have witnessed the fascination with all things Oolong. Hell, I think Pistol created "Oolong has a posse" stickers.

5. Bunyip

Bunyip Junior Member

japanese people/rabbits are awesome.

6. oneeightyone

oneeightyone Senior Member

if oolong was noahs ark, well damn, your species would not exist anymore buddy.

7. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

oolong the rabbit was the greatest thing to ever grace this board along with kidblount or how ever it was spelled.......wow I have been spending too much time here.

8. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

I still have some Oolong the Rabbit has a posse stickers here and there

9. whatdoyouthinkyourdoing

whatdoyouthinkyourdoing Member

10. Wilt TA

Wilt TA New Jack

hahaha kidblount + J= the funniest shit ever to bless this board.

11. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

someone needs to lay off the chicken sammiches...

12. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

yeah, but it's fun to rehash old shit and make people angry...but oolong could never make people angry, huh?

rental: no, i was referring to the humping chicken. i'm down with tuna sammiches now.

13. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

Those Oolong the rabbit stickers were hot, but it is a little sad that Oolong died. RIPower Oolong. I'll pour a little on the floor for the rabbit that is no more.

14. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

mamerro made the design. which was the tits by the way.
    i just got them printed.
    mams shoot over your addy so i can send you some of the second edition oolongs.

15. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

this is like when i posted star wars kid like 9 light years late...