ontario colleges

FROSTY

k i have to decide where im goign really quick and i know some of you are in college for art so please help me out. here are my options

george brown

georgin

fleming

sheridan

its for art fundamentals...

please give me some feedback !

:confused:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you should look at all of thier programs extensively. if you have a chance try to go down to the colleges and talk to some of the current students and some of the teachers as well. listen to the new bomb turks-defiled. and you are set. dont rely on 12oz for decisions in life.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

you should look at all of thier programs extensively. if you have a chance try to go down to the colleges and talk to some of the current students and some of the teachers as well. listen to the new bomb turks-defiled. and you are set. dont rely on 12oz for decisions in life.

ya i hear what your saying and i have reasearched the programs but im still undecided,,

im kind of hoping some people on here know a little about some of those schools, but no im not basing my decision on 12 oz,,,

just trying to get some feedback and i know there are enuff artists on here anyways,,,,

Originally posted by ese

and somone out there please keep me informed of the construction of the new OCAD building. That design they approved is nuts....how the fuck did that pass the board?

Ghery like what >>?

I'll flick it for you when it's done.

yeah you most definately want to get a feel for the school your going to attend. walk around the campus a bit, talk to some people. stay at one or two lectures for some random class..

you can get to know the ins and outs of a school by readings its newspaper (if it has one..most do..)

I went to sheridans fundies...it's wicked IF YOUR WILLING TO WORK HARD.....because then you can move on in the direction you want.

Now I go to another ontario school for graphic design and I laugh about the work load, because at sheridan it was retarded i was working my ass off non stop and now I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING!it's ok but the whole idea behind fundies course is a bit of scam you should of just applied to what you wanted.

BUT

If your looking to hang out and do your own art and be a homo artsy fartsy DON'T BOTHER.........it's structured you do the asignments they give you if you don't then fuck off you fail.

what are you looking to take afterwards?are you a 905 kid?

you looking to burn your parents' money?

why you taking "art fundies"?

yo, I want a t-shirt or poster with that Sistine Chapel (or is it St. Peter's at the Vatican?) painting by Rafael (or was it Michaelangelo) with God and man almost touching - but with a spliff. It's been done, and I need that poster or t-shirt.

• 5 months later...

i basically have to decide between sheridan and ocad, assuming ill be accepted into either of them.

sheridan - very famous, respected worldwide, pretty much everyone who graduates gets some sort of job they were looking for. but im told its very hard to get into, and very demanding once you do

ocad - seems pretty relaxed, still has high quality programs, but i have no idea what its like spending years going there (that addition is interesting and original, but it fucking hurts my eyes), or how hard on you they are in the portfolio interview.

oh and frosty........heskotar?

if that means nothing to you ignore it, i thought you were someone else.

Originally posted by square

i basically have to decide between sheridan and ocad, assuming ill be accepted into either of them.

sheridan - very famous, respected worldwide, pretty much everyone who graduates gets some sort of job they were looking for. but im told its very hard to get into, and very demanding once you do

ocad - seems pretty relaxed, still has high quality programs, but i have no idea what its like spending years going there (that addition is interesting and original, but it fucking hurts my eyes), or how hard on you they are in the portfolio interview.

oh and frosty........heskotar?

if that means nothing to you ignore it, i thought you were someone else.

DUDE thats the most true thing any ones said about sheridan college.YOU WON'T GET A JOB, unless your god and that happening is unfucking likly! I pumped in to my homie that took illustration and he was sweeping floors at a mall.My homie I grew up with paints houses.I've met ONE guy that took animation has a job for 10 bucks an hour pointing and clicking all day.

Get a trade fuck art and school.

Originally posted by Frate Raper

DUDE thats the most true thing any ones said about sheridan college.YOU WON'T GET A JOB, unless your god and that happening is unfucking likly! I pumped in to my homie that took illustration and he was sweeping floors at a mall.My homie I grew up with paints houses.I've met ONE guy that took animation has a job for 10 bucks an hour pointing and clicking all day.

Get a trade fuck art and school.

i have to admit, my plan doesnt actually extend past graduating from art school or whatever, i have no idea where id go from there. id heard that the animation program at sheridan is so famous that walt disney recruits the top students before they've even completed their degree? and their booklet brags an 88% employment rate in an art field after graduation...

i hear a lot of things, including voice in my head(burn things, buuuurn things!!!), not sure what's true and what's not. the image im getting in my mind is that sheridan is competitive to the point that it's sink or swim, no in-between?

anyone think it woul dbe worth it to do one of the shorter (2 years i think?) diploma programs at sheridan and then go to OCAD for a degree?

damn... old thread

I've since snuck into the new OCAD building and climbed around it.

OCAD will not get you a job either. I met a guy who did 5 years of film

studies there and now he's just a bitter video store clerk who cant enjoy

a movie that isn't a brilliant work on cinematic art. Bullshit!

Disney doesn't even fund Sheridans program any more dude.They don't do that shit any more with the recruiting, and it's ALOT lower then 88% but if your looking to be in a sink or swim surrounded be stuck up bitting fucks then go.It's super structured like I said.If your looking for a good carrer move take animation for the 3 then another 2 year computer animation/FX program.I'm at a dbe program now gunna be finshed this year.I don't even wanna be a graphic designer anymore I wanna make a honest living,or try tattooing it's a logical move right?

and if you come watch your ass in my yards I'll stick you nigguh! I ain't playin with no wannabe art fas no mo!

Guest kidlugz

the best piece of advice i can give you in regards to art school is this: make sure you're TRULY interested in art/design, and that it's not some passing interest derived from your love of graf. Don't go into graphic design just because you like graf. The design industry is absolutely fucking ruthless and you have to dedicate 85% of your time to it if you hope to be a success. same goes for I.D. as well as advertising. you can't half-ass it in these fields and hope to make loot. YOU WILL FAIL. i'm not saying this because i want to deter you from joining the ranks of the design community, but because people underestimate the time and effort involved in becoming a competant designer.

being an art major is cool if you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket or you're not opposed to going deep into debt. if you take school seriously you're pretty much guarenteed to graduate a better artist than when you began......just don't expect to find any kind of employment.

OCAD has its ups and downs. there are a lot of hot girls. the school is filled with your stereotypical artfag students. the standards for admission aren't very high at OCAD(anyone who can hold a pencil will recieve admission to fundies) so you'll find alot of mediocre artists and designers. however, there are lots of ridiculously talented kids coming from the school too.

if you want more info feel free to e-mail me and i'll answer any inquires you might have.

ps. the new building is pretty fucking impressive when you see it in person. i'll admit, when i saw the concept sketches i thought Alsop had lost his mind; but now that the building has been erected i'm fairly confident it will become a toronto landmark.

Like guy was sayin above, Sheridan fundies will teach you a great work ethic if nothing else. I took it and it made me realize i couldn't screw around and waste time...

I'm doing animation now there, and its pretty hot as far as actual courses and teaching goes, but in terms of getting hired things aren't like they used to be. Ten years ago it was like you said, people getting hired before they were finished the program, but these days there are a whole lot more schools with animation programs, and a whole lot less animation studios hiring. Regardless though, sheridan's animation program is a BA now (only one in Canada. the rest are just diplomas) and they teach a mix of computer and classical, so hopfully that'll open the jobs back up for kids at sheridan. 3d starts first year, and with some nice 3d experience it'll open up a large portion of the industry that isn't really looking for 2d artists like the previous grads. Still though, definitely no steady job guarentees right away. People do get hired, but not everyone.

The sheridan Illustration program is pretty nice too. I've got some friends taking it and there's some really talented people going through the program right now. The kids doing technical illustrations are the ones getting the jobs though, the interprative students usually end up out of work.

Anyways, my 2c. Sheridan's a good school but its got to be something you're sure you want to do and above all else be prepared to work at non stop. You literally won't have time for anything else except school 98% of the time.

Archived