Online Legalities

Esai

I was wondering if anyone can drop science of the legalities of talking about graffiti and other illegal activities being talked about on the net,and what pigs can do and the amount of power they have to use any info you type online in court to prosecute you?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

we can't protect what you say, and I don't think anyone else can, unless it's a password protected type environment... this is public, and therefore, public speech, therefore, NOT protected...

IN FACT, even bullshit may be brought in to court, like if you brag about hitting a national monument, wether true or not, it may be used to characterize you in court.

This is why 12oz prohibits theft and etch threads, to partially control SOME of the criminal talk around here...

Guest serpent of the light

i know you can get in shit for bomb threats and death threats and that type of stuff, i'm sure it applies to graf, or any other illegal activity.

Guest CountRockula

if you are smart you won't make your online name the same as what you write, thats giving away important info already. if the cops are desperate, they will track your IP.

watch your back playa.

Damn, I really hope no one is that fucken stupid to put down their tag and give their location and specifics etc. on this or any other site.But if they were, it'd be a sign to stop committing any crimes period.I was wondering if cops using any info you put on the net to prosecute you in court might be entrapment.Im not sure of the specifics, but it goes along the line of how people use the entrapment argument to get out of tickets for running red lights caught on camera, I know a few people who got out of those tickets. I figure theres quite a few fools here whose parents are in the legal profession, could give me the specifics of that idea.

Guest imported_b0b

I was under the impression that it had to be proved it was you that typed the message that was put up under your name; ie someone had to actually witness you typing at that computer. Any truth in this?

im pretty sure they cant do shit , unless you are really dumb and give away specific information , but while this is unprotected public speech , they need to prove with actual evidence that YOU were the one doing anything , that you typed it an so on ......HOWEVER , they can use what u type to stat an investigation into ur activities , whether or not you typed it , that information can be used....

--

The full glory;

The full glory -- The great monty -- of the internet, can "what you say be used against you in a cort of law." For the most part, what you say online is protected by the your amendment rights. Things that constitute felonious charges - Murder, Terrorism, Destruction of Federal Property - etc.. May lead to your arrest but with a decent lawyer can be thrown out, unless there is undeniable proof you were the one who wrote. (ie they raided your house checked your ie logs - then cross refed your ip with your isp - then finding indisputiable evidence that it was you who typed it, not a frenid or a neighbor.) However, the message board can be used as a tool for a sting, if your a local known tagger whose destroying alot of properity - and someone tips off the police that "your tag name" (ie xo39) has been braging on www.thisforum.com and posting photos of the non-commisioned work. The police could possible use the message board for a sting op. But thats highly unlikely unless you did some really highprofile bombs. Windowing etching maceys&barneys with acidspray isn't gonna be worth them developing a complete indie 500 operation.

So all in all, if your gonna tag at least be somewhat intelligent about the aftermath - if you come on a message board throwing up photos, don't inculde your address...

but you've got better odds winning the lotto then getting busted for graffiti on the internet.

just my opinion.

Archived