Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Online Legalities

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Esai, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Esai

Esai Member

I was wondering if anyone can drop science of the legalities of talking about graffiti and other illegal activities being talked about on the net,and what pigs can do and the amount of power they have to use any info you type online in court to prosecute you?

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

we can't protect what you say, and I don't think anyone else can, unless it's a password protected type environment... this is public, and therefore, public speech, therefore, NOT protected...

IN FACT, even bullshit may be brought in to court, like if you brag about hitting a national monument, wether true or not, it may be used to characterize you in court.

This is why 12oz prohibits theft and etch threads, to partially control SOME of the criminal talk around here...

3. i know you can get in shit for bomb threats and death threats and that type of stuff, i'm sure it applies to graf, or any other illegal activity.

4. unk star

unk star New Jack

I'm not a graffitti writer but i play one on the internet

5. omone

omone Member

internet

fuck the cops
    but if ure stupid enough to list specific details you deserve to be caught

6. CountRockula

CountRockula Guest

if you are smart you won't make your online name the same as what you write, thats giving away important info already. if the cops are desperate, they will track your IP.

watch your back playa.

7. Esai

Esai Member

Damn, I really hope no one is that fucken stupid to put down their tag and give their location and specifics etc. on this or any other site.But if they were, it'd be a sign to stop committing any crimes period.I was wondering if cops using any info you put on the net to prosecute you in court might be entrapment.Im not sure of the specifics, but it goes along the line of how people use the entrapment argument to get out of tickets for running red lights caught on camera, I know a few people who got out of those tickets. I figure theres quite a few fools here whose parents are in the legal profession, could give me the specifics of that idea.

8. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

I was under the impression that it had to be proved it was you that typed the message that was put up under your name; ie someone had to actually witness you typing at that computer. Any truth in this?

9. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

im pretty sure they cant do shit , unless you are really dumb and give away specific information , but while this is unprotected public speech , they need to prove with actual evidence that YOU were the one doing anything , that you typed it an so on ......HOWEVER , they can use what u type to stat an investigation into ur activities , whether or not you typed it , that information can be used....

10. wrkr

wrkr Member

--

The full glory;

The full glory -- The great monty -- of the internet, can "what you say be used against you in a cort of law." For the most part, what you say online is protected by the your amendment rights. Things that constitute felonious charges - Murder, Terrorism, Destruction of Federal Property - etc.. May lead to your arrest but with a decent lawyer can be thrown out, unless there is undeniable proof you were the one who wrote. (ie they raided your house checked your ie logs - then cross refed your ip with your isp - then finding indisputiable evidence that it was you who typed it, not a frenid or a neighbor.) However, the message board can be used as a tool for a sting, if your a local known tagger whose destroying alot of properity - and someone tips off the police that "your tag name" (ie xo39) has been braging on www.thisforum.com and posting photos of the non-commisioned work. The police could possible use the message board for a sting op. But thats highly unlikely unless you did some really highprofile bombs. Windowing etching maceys&barneys with acidspray isn't gonna be worth them developing a complete indie 500 operation.

So all in all, if your gonna tag at least be somewhat intelligent about the aftermath - if you come on a message board throwing up photos, don't inculde your address...

but you've got better odds winning the lotto then getting busted for graffiti on the internet.

just my opinion.

11. dirtysicks

dirtysicks Senior Member

^^^^^this cat is mad smart.

12. Esai

Esai Member

Very well put wkr,thanks for satisfying my curiosity

13. hex

hex New Jack

well im an under cover cop playing to b a writer to get some info

14. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest