online file storage?

Zack Morris

are there online file lockers or places where I could temporarily store 30+ gigs of media files online while I reformat my hard drive?

The thing is I have a massive amount of mp3's, movies, and photo's I want/need to keep but my computer is in DESPERATE need of a reformat and there is no way I can afford asecond hard drive on my current budget. I have thaught about partitioning my hard drive for these fies but it seems kinda risky fromt he pople I have tlaked to. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

<3,

Zack Morris

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, you can store it............

IN MY PANTS!!!!

Originally posted by ARCEL@Oct 21 2004, 02:24 AM

actually there is such a service, the one i'm thinking of costs money though. how fast is your connection? have you thought about getting some CD-Rs?

For 30 gigs? Surely you meant DVD-Rs.

Zack, go to http://www.pricewatch.com, they got the deal deal on computer shit. For instance, they got a EIDE Western Digital 7200 RPM 80.0GB for $44 w/free shipping.

Guest imported_b0b

If you want an external hard drive you can do a budget job of getting one of these ide to usb convertors and just using a hard drive out of an old pc or buying a small one (less than 10gb) on ebay.. Yep I know you got to lump it around and it isn't pretty, but it is an incredibly cheap way to sort yourself out.

Alternatively the gmail hack someone linked to above rocks.

Putting gigs of your information on the internets is not a good idea.

Online file storage, Xdrive for example, is for people who don't know any better.

You'd have to pay a monthly fee for X amount of gigabytes of storage. You could instead pay for an attached solution for more up front, but it would cost less in the long run. Plus you can transfer the data @ 400+ mbps, depending on interface, rather than 1.5mbps or whatever your internets connection is rated at.

b0b brought up a very good value solution. You can purchase a 3.5" or 5.25" external drive enclosure (FireWire and/or USB 2.0) for anywhere from $30~$60, depending where you look. Then you can buy the appropriately sized hard drive. For instance, a 20GB plus enclosure might run you an estimated cost of about $70. You can add the largest internal IDE harddrive available on the market since an external enlosure helps bypass the whole retarded 48bit addressing problem with Windows. Another thing is that this solution is exactly the same as buying a Maxtor/WD/Seagate/AcomData external drive, except they make their own enclosures and it's a fraction of the cost...

the thing is I only really NEED this hard drive for a day or two to store stuff I don't want erased while I reformat my hard drive. Though while talking to a friend of mine he put the idea in y head that I should just get another hard drive to keep and use it specifically for storing my media on and downloaded files and keep my o/s and important system files on a seperate hard drive.

and after my little look through pricewatch.com I think I might able to work this solution into my budget. I found a case and a 160 gig hard drive for a little under $100. It will be a few weeks before I can get this, but I feel it will probably be a better investment in the long run. Plus after I finally get this reformat done I can look at the internet and listen to mp3's at the same time without them skipping every 30 seconds.

seldoon thanks for dropping the pricewatch knowledge though. I got bored and looked through it and found out htat I could build myself a pretty bad ass machine with more power than I will ever even need for $661 = shipping costs. Thats less than I paid for this peice of shit.

well its didn't used to do this. Plus the computer lags a bit.

I just upped my ram to 512 megs sd so there is no way its ram

and I am running a 1.1 ghz AMD

It didn't start doing this until about 6-8 months ago. And I never had this problem with my older/slower machines. I have a 500 mhz with 128 megs ram in my basement that you can surf the net on and listen to mp3's with no problems.

I also keep getting a virtual memory too low error message about every 12 hours. I am basically blaming all the problems on the fact that windows is nothing but flawed in all ways.

plus there are so many programs on this computer that I don't even use.

The only shit I really need on here is a web browser, trillian, photo shop, itunes, illustrator and thats pretty much it. I am sure that you kow that when you delete programs especially in windows it doesn't completely clean all of thier traces out so there are still little parts left behind to clutter things up. I just want to reformat so I can get a fresh start with the computer and get stuff back up to par. If that doesn't work I am just going to save up for a few months and build my own system.

its got about 10 gigs free on a 60 gig HD...it needs some cleaning.

and I lied to you a minute ago. I went and checked to see what my virtual memory paging file was set on and it was not system managed. Though I know I have set it to that before it was not on it at the time....thanks for makng me go and look at it though.

hopefully most of these problems will be wiped away when I get the new HD. I checked on some stuff as far as how much cash I cirrently have and if I don't spend a bunch of money this weekend I should be able to get the stuff needed to do the reformat and keep my media files with 2 weeks.....hopefully that will fix things.