1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

On a more serious note

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Overtime, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

On a more serious note

Discussion started by Overtime - Feb 29, 2004

Im not going to center my text becasue i want real answers, and i would probably just get more shit and bullshit answers back.

so here is my question.
    You can look back in time to art and big names like Da Vinci and Michaelangelo and peoople like that. But, looking at our century, and our generations, who do you think will be remembered and thought of hundreds of years from now, what art will still be around like the sistine chapel. I have been wondering about this for a while now, but havent come up with much.

What do you guys think, who will be remembered for ages to come?

Overtime - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

DETO - Replied Feb 29, 2004

no one really comes to mind...i live in an artsy little town, known for our artist, skiing and art galleries, but i can't say that even our best artist will be remembered for their contribution to the world of art...

DETO - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Feb 29, 2004

me. except i'm not an artist. but everyone loves me so it's ok.

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. Overtime

Overtime - Replied Feb 29, 2004

Re: Re: On a more serious note

well, besides you and me, because imma moron and read my profile, i look stupid or something

5. synaps

synaps 12oz Senior Member

synaps - Replied Feb 29, 2004

like the greats of their "time" ... they weren't all looked upon as "greats" until years after they passed.

so it's hard to say ... i'll have to give this one some thought

synaps - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. caL

caL 12oz Senior Member

caL - Replied Feb 29, 2004

im thinking maybe those guys that did the looney tunes.

caL - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Feb 29, 2004

I've actually read stuff about this ( I read about everything...) but back in those days it was alot of time before the real presence of their art could reach enough people to become legendary. In this day and age we have instant presentation to anywhere in the world so we also have living legends. Think about it. A thousand years from now after the world is ravaged by nuclear war and powermonging warlords, aliens will be rummaging through our rubble on some kind of archeological dig and they are more likely to find say a Britney Spears album then they are say, the Poor Righteous Teachers... Not only that but the ubiquity of britney spears will also be an indication of importance or popularity.
    You may go back to centering your type now. :rolleyes:

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  8. imported_Tesseract - Replied Feb 29, 2004

After having said that, and without any intention to be an ass...why do you center your text in the first place, shits tough to read and disoriantating...its cool for titles and photo threads.
    Same with color, i never got why you and deto are rockin that...i mean you guys are way cool to be using e-tricks...anyway, i like both you kids so dont take it the wrong way, i just had to say it.

And to the subject,
    Its always hard to tell what will survive as classic. The dopest way to understand that is to try to define classic...Davincis skectches could never be concidered 'art' back then, Goyas engravings the same, Caravaggios technique was concidered a fraud by the 'classics' of his time, and so on...Another way is to try and imagine that in Da Vinci's era there were millions of artists around and thousands that were somewhat famous and respected, however time washes away junk and keeps only the stuff that really mattered.
    I couldnt say what or who will stay from this era however trying to find it by wondering 'who paints better' or 'who is more exposed' is definatelly the wrong way to go.
    Its my understanding that the media that will mark our era isnt painting and sculpture(unluckilly for me), cinema and advertising is the most influential and most consumed visual artform today.
    If anyone remembers the yearlong benneton campaign a photographer named Oliver Toscani did. Huge posters with the brands logo as a detail and as subject, photos that dealt with rasicm, for the most part, aswell as other social issues. He was fired some years ago, when he and his team sneaked in death row as reporters or something and took pictures of the -abouttobeexecuted- that then printed as a benneton ad that got in everystreet in europe, and i guess other places aswell.
    So, while its not in my best interest i cant see why this whole thing couldnt be regarded as one of the greatest works of this time.

9. Overtime

Re: Re: On a more serious note

i do it because i like how it looks, i mean, i apologize for it pissing people off, but i like it, and thats really all that matters and tess, dont worry, i know you arent an ass, you a dope cat, and as for the color, i dont know, just cuz oh, you said we are way cool, thats awesome, cuz me and the deto are

10. imported_Tesseract - Replied Feb 29, 2004

No worries bro,
    Just you mutherfuckers know that reading your stuff is kinda tough on the eye, reason i often skip your posts:D :(

11. Overtime

that makes me sad that you skip my posts........but its a price to pay

12. jenoz

jenoz 12oz Member

jenoz - Replied Feb 29, 2004

Basquiat,Beksinski,Klie,Warhol,H.R. Gigier,Robert Williams,R.K. Sloane

jenoz - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Feb 29, 2004

don't forget J. Timberlake

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  14. Overtime

hahahha, hell yeah

15. WorldBench

WorldBench 12oz Veteran Member

WorldBench - Replied Feb 29, 2004

THOMAS KINKADE!
    he's known by all and he's still alive.. well not really known by all but he's real real famous

WorldBench - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: