OMG MAN WITH BULLDOZER DESTROYING TOWN

synaps

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?...47-c589c01ca7bf

quote:

GRAND COUNTY - An armed man is driving a bulldozer through the west end of Granby and crashing into buildings, witnesses say.

Scott Schaffer spoke by cell phone to 9NEWS. He said he was about a block from the bulldozer, which was being used like a battering ram. He said that the machinery appeared to have been specially rigged to work like an armored vehicle. He said police have so far been unable to stop the driver.

"He drove through a cement plant, wiped out town hall, took out the newspaper office," said Schaffer.

Schaffer said that the town hall building didn't completely collapse, but the other two buildings did. No injuries have been reported at this time.

Granby is a town north of Winter Park, near Rocky Mountain National Park. Police are evacuating residents in the area.

9NEWS has a crew on the way and will continue to update this story.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

omg this man is my HERO

update!!!

GRAND COUNTY - An armed man, driving a piece of heavy equipment, destroyed several buildings in the town of Granby Friday afternoon. Witnesses said he was using the equipment like an armored vehicle, crashing into buildings.

Lurline Curran, Grand County manager, says the person is driving a large piece of Caterpillar machinery.

"He has moved methodically from west to east, demolishing, or trying to demolish certain structures," said Curran. She said, so far, there have been no reports of injuries.

Curran said police moved in a big scraper out of the landfill trying to block the bulldozer's way.

She said that didn't stop the advance. The armored vehicle was moving west out of Granby in an unpopulated area.

"We are doing everything we can to stop this chaos," she said. Curran said shots had been fired.

Scott Schaffer spoke by cell phone to 9NEWS when the armored vehicle was just a block away.

"He drove through a cement plant, wiped out town hall, took out the newspaper office," said Schaffer. Schaffer said that the town hall building didn't completely collapse, but the other two buildings did.

Curran said that the man also plowed into the bank.

Granby is a town north of Winter Park, near Rocky Mountain National Park. Police are evacuating residents in the area.

9NEWS has a crew on the way and will continue to update this story.

Originally posted by casekonly

i think...i think i've found a new hero

How do they know he's armed if his bulldozer is completely covered with steel? They don't even know what he looks like so I don't understand how they came to the conclusion that he's armed. Maybe they mean armed with a bulldozer? Cause I didn't hear anything about him shooting...

Originally posted by azert

How do they know he's armed if his bulldozer is completely covered with steel? They don't even know what he looks like so I don't understand how they came to the conclusion that he's armed. Maybe they mean armed with a bulldozer? Cause I didn't hear anything about him shooting...

they said hes got gun turrets attatched to it or someshit

County Emergency Manager Jim Holahan said the rampage started around 2:00 p.m. at a local concrete plant. After tearing down the concrete plant, the Caterpillar moved down U.S. 40, or Main Street Granby, plowing into a an electrical cooperative owned by Xcel Energy, a building that houses the town hall and library, the Sky-Hi newspaper building and Gamble's store. There were no reports of injuries.

About three hours after the first assault, the armored vehicle finally got stuck halfway inside a corrugated metal warehouse. Holahan said another large piece of equipment was used to block its escape. Police and sharpshooters surrounded the vehicle.

Holahan identified the man driving the Caterpillar as 52-year-old Marvin Heemeyer. Authorities did not say whether he was still alive.

Another source told 9NEWS that Heemeyer was involved in a zoning dispute with the city about three years ago.

Holahan said that the Jefferson County bomb squad was on scene. A Granby radio station was reporting that there were concerns that the vehicle might be booby-trapped.

Lurline Curran, Grand County manager, said the Caterpillar moved methodically from west to east, demolishing, or trying to demolish certain structures. Holahan said the driver was also firing from the vehicle with a 50-calibre weapon. He said several propane tanks were hit with bullets, but didn't explode.

Holahan said the Caterpillar had been re-tooled with steel and concrete to make it virtually impenetrable.

Scott Schaffer spoke by cell phone to 9NEWS when the armored vehicle was just a block away.

"He drove through a cement plant, wiped out town hall, took out the newspaper office," said Schaffer. Schaffer said that the town hall building didn't completely collapse, but the other two buildings did.

William Hertel, owner of High Altitude Audio, on Main Street saw the drama unfold from the roof of his building. "When he came this way, I really panicked," said Hertel. "I've never seen anything quite like this."

Another witness said that at one point an officer jumped on top of the vehicle and fired shot after shot against it, without any effect.

Video from Sky 9 showed several collapsed buildings that looked like they'd been hit by a tornado.

Tom Hale, Granby Town Manager, said the zoning dispute dated back to when Heemeyer owned a muffler business located next to the concrete plant. Hale said town trustees ruled in favor of the plant, and when Heemeyer appealed the decision to district court, the judge sided with the town.

He said that at a later point, Heemeyer was fined $2,500 for violations at his muffler shop.

Hale said that Heemeyer was clearly targeting buildings on Friday. "They were all properties where there were people who either worked there, that were affiliated with this decision, or the town itself," said Hale.

Police evacuated residents in the area as the rampage began. A detour was set up around town.

Granby is a town of 1,500, north of Winter Park, near Rocky Mountain National Park.

Gov. Bill Owens was planning to visit the town Friday night to help assess the damage and see what other help was needed.

Archived