Older movies being released on BLU-RAY

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Since the beginning of the century 19XX Almost all movies - including most of those made right now - are shot on 35mm film.

35mm film has much higher resolution (4 to 6 times) than HD so films regardless of their age are actually converted down 1080p. If 2160p existed they would be downscaled to that.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_lessons/sample_lesson_HD_vs_35mm.htm sauce

its not a scam

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

this site compares some old dvd release to the new blu-ray format.

here's top gun looks pretty crisp i guess.

i actually watched Top Gun on blu-ray and imo it didnt compare with recent titles i have seen...

i always wondered the same thing. just seems the old joints i have watched are not nearly as crisp..

It all boils down to the condition of the master and how much work a studio is prepared to put into restoration where required.

example:

Blade runner

comparision_cityscape.jpg

you snagging all those blu-ray's for your yard sales? or personal use?

classics

These are for me :haha: wouldn't be a bad hustle tho. Buy for $6 sell for $10

Watching Total Recall right now. It's pretty crisp but doesn't compare to how clear my newer blu rays are.

Gonna have to cop blade runner

• 2 months later...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

this site compares some old dvd release to the new blu-ray format.

here's top gun looks pretty crisp i guess.

It all boils down to the condition of the master and how much work a studio is prepared to put into restoration where required.

example:

Blade runner

comparision_cityscape.jpg

original looks better.

• 2 weeks later...

To give you guys a little bit on why some movies look better than others when transferred to Blu-Ray.

Compression and filters: filters are some times used to mechanically simplify/clean up the films, sometimes they are used very lightly other times way too heavy. Also age/deterioration: sometimes some studios don't put the money and time needed to fix the film before making the digital master. Usually studios just upscale the film to HD which is why you may see alot of movies that are grainy and stuff.

If you guys haven't seen the 007 quality, I suggest looking at it. The guys went through frame by frame enhancing the shit out of it.