Old School Nickelodeon

Hermdog

Surfing the channels at home, I come across Nickelodeon... man that channel has changed since the early days... When I was a young whipper snapper, I had that channel and MTV memorized and that was all that matters...

What ever happened to these shows:

You Can't Do That on Television

25-431.jpg.

Episodes: 143 color episodes, 1 video release, 1 reunion episode

Production Company: CJOH-tv, Carleton Productions

This was a sketch comedy show for young adults that was very popular in the 1980s. It started in 1979 as a (partially) live, local show in Ottawa, Canada, with comedy, music videos (or musical guests), and local, phone in-contests. After two seasons (the latter of which was later edited into the new format when shown nationally and internationally), the show's format changed to a half hour sketch comedy. It retained this format for the rest of it's 11 year run. This show had a huge impact. It was picked up in 1981 by the fledgeling US network Nickelodeon, which had only gone national a year earlier. this was the network's first big show and made the network what it is today. YCDTOTV became one of the most popular kids shows of the decade and featured a rotating cast of very talented actors and actresses. It was a very funny program that featured alot of humor that was not only aimed at kids, but at adults as well. The show gave us many great catch phrases, and memorable characters as Barth, Senator Prevert, Snake Eyes, El Capitan, and Ross. Also came the mysterious green slime that was dropped on anyone who said "I don't know" and the water that was dropped on anyone who said "water."

72-1981.jpg

Double Dare.

Double dare is undoubtedly the phenomenon that made Nickelodeon what it is today. The rules go something like this:

Each round starts off with a toss-up physical challenge. Whoever wins gets $10 and control of the game. Host Marc Summers (Jason Harris in Double Dare 2000) asks the winning team a question. If they don't know the answer or think the other team doesn't have a clue, they can dare them to answer it for double the dollars. But they have to be careful because they can double dare the first team back for 4 times the amount. Then, they either have to answer the question or take a physical challenge. In round 2, dollar values are doubled. The winner of the game moves on to the obstacle course, where they navigate through 8 obstacles and they win a prize for each obstacle. If they make it through all 8 obstacles, they win the grand prize.

Double Dare history

On October 6, 1986, the first episode of Double Dare was taped at WHYY studios in Philadelphia. In 1987, Nickelodeon decided to create a short-lived weekend edition called Super Sloppy Double Dare, which was cancelled after about 20 episodes. One year later, in 1988, Fox bought syndication rights from Nickelodeon, so they created another short-lived edition called Family Double Dare. Because Fox wanted more adult material on their network, Family Double Dare was canned after 13 episodes. But the good news: the original Double Dare was still in production.

Later, in 1989, other kids game shows came into play, thus causing Double Dare's ratings to drop a little. So Nickelodeon reincarnated Super Sloppy Double Dare and dusted it off to incorporate the "super sloppiness". This version of Super Sloppy Double Dare lasted about one season, but it had 100 episodes, plus a bunch of special episodes. Then, in 1990, Nickelodeon reincarnated Family Double Dare, redesigning the Fox version. A year later, in 1991, because of these new spin-offs, the original Double Dare was cancelled, but its spin-offs remain. In 1992, a two-episode spin-off called Super Special Double Dare was created. In Super Special Double Dare, Nickelodeon celebrities played against each other (usually boys against girls). In the first episode of Super Special Double Dare, the cast of Clarissa Explains It All played against the cast of Welcome Freshmen. The second episode was the NBA All-star special. In 1993, the last season was shown. Harvey had to quit his job of announcer because of the birth of his son Caleb. So Doc Holiday took over. The final episode was the hour-long Family Double Dare Tournament of Cahmpions, which pitted the smartest and fastest teams against each other. After that, Double Dare was officially cancelled, but Family Double Dare played reruns until 1999. Like Marc Summers said in his autobiography, Everything In Its Place, "We had enough episodes on tape to do reruns forever".

That could have been the end of Double Dare...until January 22, 2000! Double Dare was reincarnated as Double Dare 2000. Jason Harris was the new host of this short-lived revival of Double Dare. The preview Snick episode of Double Dare 2000 pitted the cast of the Amanda Show and the cast of 100 Deeds For Eddie McDowd against each other. The show was cancelled in December of 2000, but, just like the other Double Dare spin-offs, reruns are shown on Nickelodeon GAS.

Those were the top 2 that I watched after school....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Double Dare toured and came to malls all around America. I was so

excited to get messy, but after waiting for hours I get in and there was no slime just an

obstacle course.

That was one of my first disappointing memories. However that day was the first time I

got an erection. I was five, the car ride was bumpy, and I named my peepee "Tree", not

for the length but for it's viscosity.

I was on a nickelodeon game thing at Kings Dominion (a theme park in VA) when i was like 13.. i got slimed a few times..

..the slime is applesauce..

after the games were over, the put all the contestants in a communal shower with all our clothes on to wash the slime off..

There was an old ass cartoon called "The Seven Cities of Gold" or something like that.

Giant golden bird, Spanish conquistadors, some weird ass alien looking guys and a cast of young animated heros trying to save the day from the machinations of evil.

You'd be gangster in my book if you remember this show.

Guest willy.wonka
Originally posted by Tyler Durden@Mar 10 2005, 08:04 AM

SKATE TV

skate tv was the best.. i was always watchin that show... the pool was dope.. they had all that graff and i think thats one of the ways i was inspired.. graffed out pimpin coconut trees.