Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wakassOATH

at my zellers they sold those krylon teracotta's for 1.50 canadain (new lid)anyway i see people here talking like there discontued is that true? cause i killed 6 of em on a blokbuster

just got...

adobe rusto (stops rust drippy blob on the can)

three cans derusto harvest gold (paper label)

yeah, my paint collection still sucks but im down with the 70's colors so whatever....

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

1. What I say bout the Jungle Green, but thats cool I knew you were gonna post them. You just could not resist.

2. WTF would someones grandfather be doing with 6 cans of Jungle Green. I mean come one now, I'm not calling anyone a liar, just shit is a little hard to believe. I mean 1 I might believe, but 6? And all the other colors were basic? What would the average person use 6 cans of Jungle Green for? I ont mean to go on a rant (Thanks D.Miller) but come on now...

3. More posts, lets see some pictures!!!

Guest cracked ass

I have a can of that Krylon yellow stencil ink, where the Krylon headquarters is listed as Norristown, PA. It contains lead. The can is a tank, very heavy, obviously kept all its pressure.

So I got this Red Devil can of yellow, only the name and number is missing. I believe it was called "yellow" and I have a number, but am not sure if they had any other yellows. Anyone with info, I would greatly apreciate it...oh yeah and whats up with the x's, how do i fix that? anyone...anyone?

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/slyle133/UnknownRdDvl.JPG'>

This is the can I was asking about. I think it is Yellow 712 , but I have heard of mandarin yellow, neither I have never seen before this, so any help would be nice.

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/slyle133/SapolinSprayJPG.jpg'>

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/slyle133/BgBntmLilByBl.JPG'>

I love sapolin, great can, wish it was in better condition. Sapolin was a great brand back in the day, I am not sure if they still make sprays anymore. The other is a nice bite off of Krylon, the color check this "Little Boy Blue" It was made by NYBCO (New York Bronze Company)

Later, and where is your flics?

[This message has been edited by slyle (edited 09-06-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

osh?..as in orchard supply hardware?it might be worth something to someone who doesn't live on the west coast(osh only has stores in the west,its not a nationwide chain,even tho its owned by sears)other than that,they still have rose available in the stores,(all their cans are paper wrapped)it has a different label than the ones they have now tho.i dont know anyone who collects them,so its not likely that its worth anything...good luck anyways...

Whospank is right. that paint is from the west coast and some people on the east coast love it and really want it. The only thing is I hate to tell ya that the ones the sell in the stores now are paper labels and all say 1984 on them so it probabally isn't that old. As far as that color goes I don't know if they still make it or not, I'd have to go check, I was there a couple weeks ago and I think I remember seeing that color but not 100% sure.

As always if you have old paint and want to trade email me at djedmixn4u@aol.com

yeah a date on a can is only the copyright date. If there is a newer date then you can expect it to be as old as the next date that appears. Does that make sense, some companys like rusto change their cans often, so usually the date reflects the age, but try tellin that to the old guy at the hardware store. A good example is AA. Dates on the old cans say 1991, but they were available like that till like 96-97. So you figure it out.

word up on the dating.

it's a confusing shit, this dating thing. it seems to go back and forth between date of copyright (design/formula) and date of manufacture. and i havent been able to put together an easy way to figure it out since it's never consistent.

for instance, Rusto cans can be found for every year between 1976 and 1984- some years nothing changed on those cans. Hard Hats debuted in the late 70s and the SAME EXACT can has new dates on it all the way to 1988. Rusto's dating then gets fuzzy for a few years and revises a few times before the 90s.

Krylon seems to maintain the same date (1991) on every can since SW bought the company, but with small revision dates. where it's easier to figure out dates on really old cans where they might actually print the manu. date on it, it's better to use color charts to approximate can dates.

the big headache that i have coming on is BARCODES. not barcode caps, but the strange barcoding that krylon did in the late 70's/80's.

by the way, does anyone else have an 83 Rusto can with a SCREENED barcode (not a sticker) on the cap?

Guest cracked ass

My understanding of copyright dates is this: The can's actual age will be anywhere from AS OLD AS the year marked, to AS NEW AS the year they next changed the package design. Except in the 78-80 range for Rusto there are all three years marked on cans with identical designs, so I could be mistaken.

As an example, a 1983 Rusto might have come out in 83,84,85, or early 86, and then in 86 they changed the design again so it has to be one of those years, no earlier than 83 and no later than 86.

I have actually had plenty of luck with hardware store owners believing the copyright date is also the date of manufacture, so I get good discounts, and pay the least for the oldest cans.

Exactaly, but then some store owners are like "it sprays...then its good" and they have gone af far as spraying it in front of me...and they know damn well they been sitting on those cans for over 10 years, and that they are not gonna sell them. But anyway, cracked post some cans, lets see whats on your shelf...

Yeah Ihave to add to what cracked say, and disagree a little. In 78 Rusto had the old numbers. In 79 they put the new and old numbers on the cans. Then in 83 they had cans that had the name stamped on them, or a label. So they are not all the same.

One More thing to add, but I am not sure of this, and that is that not every year has every color.I only heard this for someone, and my collection of Rusto is not big enough to veriify this, but I do notice a certain trend in the ones I do have that might suggest it, I dunno?

And what is the oldest rusto anyone has seen. I believe 60 is the oldest I have heard, and I have seen a 62. The 58 or is it 55 gallons, have the same design as the 62 can, so does that mean that that is the original and oldest spray can design. I believe there are 2 examples of that on this board.

One last question, and that is if anyone has the original TOPS for a 73 Rusto Flat white and a 73 Rusto Chestnut Brown.

Guest cracked ass
Originally posted by slyle:

Exactaly, but then some store owners are like "it sprays...then its good" and they have gone af far as spraying it in front of me...and they know damn well they been sitting on those cans for over 10 years, and that they are not gonna sell them. But anyway, cracked post some cans, lets see whats on your shelf...

I refute this by talking up the possibility of partial pressure loss. If the can is more than 10 years old I'll mention that it has probably lost part of its pressure, so it seems to work in the store but get it home and it'll run out of gas halfway through. Therefore I'd pay half price tops. This usually works to get me a deal, whether or not it's true.

And slyle I don't have access to a scanner so I can't show you my tastiest finds. I honestly don't have much before '78, except the few Derustos I mentioned already, and the Utilac flat black with small cover.

Guest cracked ass

Actually I have a whole 6-part steez for talking hardware store guys down in price on old paint, but I don't want to blow it up on here. Being older helps a lot too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BUMP TO THE FRONT... suckers still don't understand.

me- "do you have any more of this Red Devil spray paint?"

him- "where did you get that?!"

me- "over there, in the back on a high shelf"

him- "i've worked here six years and i've never seen that stuff before"

me- "so what do you want for it?"

him- "there's no barcode on 'em?... 2.99? uhh, well..... just take them"

• 2 months later...

ACE HARDWARE

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

yo is there soimething special about this stuff? we have ace down here. are you just talking about regular ace gloss black?

Yo, its not a hot collectable but it works fresh. My man Web KAOS but me up on that stuff... All the colors are good but the gloss black is the shit.. Just remember you check the caps because about 3 years ago they changed to a male cap......

El masko.....I will deffenently take those blacks... Dont worry I will hit you with the fly Mollys.....Are you in the city... NYC

Later ERvoster....Tm7

• 2 weeks later...

aussie paint

hey ivo akm do you know anyone in oz that collects paper wrapped (70's) or older tuxans? (not the brown tins) especially traders in doubles?

bit of an old thread, but collecting beans in oz is a lonely sport...

yo seeking....

you got school bus yellow, chrome yellow, old and new caterpiller yellow too?

i really really really really wish krylon still made those old colors man...fuck you have to use like 5 different companies to get half the selection that krylon had back in the day.

i wish i could get montana and/or belton as cheap as i get my paint now.

Guest dukeofyork

i mean, ive got all four of them, and an extra of school bus yellow, but i havent seen any of them in the newer style of cans....EVER....

i can still find a few of the yellows, and i can still get grape and colonial blue (thank god, theyre such nice colors)

but fuck krylon needs to stop this discontinuing bullshit.

NOW DAMNIT....STOP THAT SHIT!!!!

well, plastikote has always been pretty close to the automotive market, much like duplicolor. but there was a time, 70's 80's, when they tried some ill decorator colors. check out Art Of Getting Over (or ContainsLead) and you'll see a few. they used to have lines that started with T-(a number) and like slylington said, a polyurethane with the latter P-(a number)... a little hint for the diggers and a bummmmppp for the thread. i'm running out to go find some HTF NOS...

oh yeah, in that blurry shelf photo 2 pages back, there's a picture of a PlastiKote ployurethane, it's a white paper label with no top.

:idea:

You would not believe the score I got today. 100+ cans of scotties, early 80's rustos, '68 krylon metal cans, barcodes, name labels, prytops, '64 red and white cans, Bromas, Spruce, '69 Derustos, newer Derustos etc, etc.

I'll post a list on contains lead once I sort it all out. The most incredible haul ever.

Archived