Oil

EastSwaggings

So, in my recent artistic endeavours, I have decided to begin serious experimentation with oil paints. However, I have very little experience with the world of purchasing oil paints, and frankly I understand that better quality comes with higher prices. But I was wondering what 12oz's favorite brands or types of oil paint were, and what I should begin using for the best outcome.

Thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ive been painting with oils for years and have the most success with windsor newtowns. they arent that expensive either. most of the other brands ive used (esp utrecht) are too thin. WN whites take SO LONG to dry though. good brushes are more important than paint; red sable (real, not synthetic) is one of the best types, its fucking expensive though.

• 2 weeks later...

utrecht paint in general can be thin.

my bff uses oils, she swears by turpenoid, says don't use turpentine (and she can't afford linseed oil)

not sure what brand she likes but i like windsor newton acrylics.

can't advise on brushes at all.. mine are pretty much all hand-me-downs

but be sure to take the time to care for them by cleaning them well, it will mean a world of difference after a painting or two.

be sure to take the time to care for them by cleaning them well, it will mean a world of difference after a painting or two.

this

also in terms of thinners, i prefer turpenoid, i use it like water. linseed oil is good for cleaning brushes but it makes the paint too... greasy? thats just personal preference though

I have slowly found that a few drops of linseed oil is just enough even to be distributed within the other paints for a while, or, it would be enough for a single session of paint, depending on the size of the surface.

something I have encountered trouble with is a certain clumpiness of the paint. I have figured this occurs without thinning, or the fact that it is on wood panel, but if anyone has advice on how to remove these small crumbs successfully, please let me know.