OIL DEPOT ABLAZE IN BRITAIN

Abracadabra

xin_36120211171198232451.jpg

Smoke billows after an explosion at a fuel depot in Hemel Hempstead in central England December 11, 2005. A series of explosions and a massive fire erupted at the fuel depot north of London before dawn on Sunday and sent a large column of black smoke into the sky, witnesses said. [Reuters]

Large blasts at UK fuel depot an "accident"

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD (Reuters) - A series of explosions tore through a fuel depot north of London before dawn on Sunday sending flames and a column of black smoke high into the sky in what police said was most probably an accident.

"There is nothing to suggest at this stage that this is anything other than an accident, although we are keeping an open mind," a Hertfordshire police spokeswoman said. She also denied earlier reports that a plane had crashed into the depot.

The Buncefield oil depot supplies petrol and fuel oils for a large part of southeast England. Oil is brought to the depot, near the town of Hemel Hempstead, in an underground pipeline from tankers unloading on Britain's east coast.

"There was an explosion in the vicinity of Buncefield depot at about 0604 GMT, the spokeswoman said. "We have got no figure for casualties. Obviously we are at the scene but it is difficult to gauge because of all the smoke."

Several other witnesses reported a series of explosions.

Britain has been on edge for further terrorist attacks since four suicide bombers blew themselves up and killed 52 commuters in July in the British capital London but the police statement appeared to rule out any attack for now.

The depot is jointly run by oil companies Total and Texaco.

"We can confirm reports of an explosion near the terminal ... Firm details about the incident are not yet known. Our first priority is to ensure the safety of all those affected," Ian Hutchinson, a spokesman for Total Oil told BBC Television.

Mike Carlish, who lives less than 4 km (3 miles) from the Buncefield depot, near the commuter town of Hemel Hempstead, said he had been woken by a "blinding white flash" that had been powerful enough to knock the plaster off the ceiling in his house a little after 0600 GMT.

"Smoke is spiralling over 200 feet into the air. It is not under control," he told Reuters by telephone.

Carlish said people lived within two miles of the depot, closer than him. He said police had closed the nearby M1 motorway in both directions.

Another witness, identified only as Heather, said she heard a loud blast near Hemel Hempstead and could see sheets of flame soaring into the sky.

"There is a fuel depot nearby," she told BBC Television. "There are lots of houses damaged."

A Reuters witness said the blast was heard as far away as northwest London, 40 km (25 miles) away.

source

they're saying the blast was heard as far away as france and the netherlands. insanity

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ozone hole is 60 years of perfect conditions away from healing itself, still fucked.

This is the largest industrial fire that has ever happened in Europe. I am actually really surprised it wasn't posted, either. I was going to start a thread on it but was side tracked when I got here. Apparently, this shit is so large it can be seen from space.

Pollution is a big issue, but not as bad as the pictures appear.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Dec 12 2005, 10:01 PM

what's this o-zone you speak of?

cover.jpg

Mai ah hii

Mai ah huu

Mai ah hor

Mai ah haha (x4)

Alo, salut, sunt eu, un haiduc

si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea. Alo, alo, sunt eu, Picasso

ti-am dat beep si sunt voinic

Dar sa stii, nu-ti cer nimic.

Vrei sa pleci dar nu-mã, nu-mã iei

Nu-mã, nu-ma iei, nu-mã, nu-mã, nu-mã iei

Chipul tãu si dragostea din tei

Mi-amintesc de ochii tãi.

Vrei sã pleci dar nu-mã, nu-mã iei

Nu-mã, nu-mã iei, nu-mã, nu-mã, nu-mã iei

Te sun, sã-ti spun, ce simt, acum

Alo, iubirea mea sunt eu, fericirea.

Alo, alo, sunt iarasi eu, Picasso

ti-am dat beep si sunt voinic

Dar sã stii, nu-ti cer nimic.

Vrei sã pleci dar nu-mã, nu-ma iei

Mi-amintesc de ochii tãi. (x2)

Mai ah hee

Mai ah hoo

Mai ah ha

Mai ah haha (x4)

Originally posted by Superbrew+Dec 12 2005, 12:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superbrew - Dec 12 2005, 12:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

A few more pictures from the depot fire in the UK

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-H. Lecter@Dec 13 2005, 05:01 AM

Great flicks~

Unforgetable~

A must see I felt needed to be shared with those who don't care to follow the link~

_41112516_andy_baxter.jpg

P.S.

That one I posted yesterday made the cover of the NY Times today~

WOW :shook: :love2: :shook:

Yea, shits crazy, could see the smoke from my yard in North London.

Just makes you think about the fact that we are so fragile, and that it only takes one fuck up and we are all gone.

Imagine if this had had some gravely serious environmental effects and everyone within a hundred miles was going to die three days later. That would definitely mean me.

I'm suprised I missed this news by almost a day - I look over the BBC often on a daily basis.

Kind of sucks for those oil companies - it IS a major depot. So you have all kinds of offshore facilities, tankers/shuttles, and what not pumping product into this station, and the majority of the compound goes up. Talk about a major loss.

And BP has a share in this facility.

Conspiracy theories aside, I believe this is the second time this year they (BP) have been hit by a fire/explosion at a facility (the other was in Houston).

Guest imported_b0b

They had a feature on the news with 2 "amatuer documentary makers" (aka 2 guys with a camcorder) who had driven to within 50 metres of the fire after the first explosion. They showed the footage and it was mental. Then they interviewed them and one of them was called Jonny ASH. Made me laugh anyway.