oh canada....

the_gooch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well what are you looking for?

Big cities i guest?

Are you willing to endure the cold winter, or cannot stand it? Learn french or 100% english?

If you are focusing only on the biggest cities ( like i'm presuming)

, you only have 3 choices : Vancouver Toronto Montreal

Originally posted by FIST2CUFFS@Nov 1 2004, 05:34 PM

toronto is the shit. you can get hotdogs at 4:00am there.

you can get a lot more than hotdogs at 4:00am my man.

I think it's very simple.....

just match the city to your personality type:

Poor yet stylish, the rebirth of slick - MONTREAL

Wheeler dealer, stressed to impress - TORONTO

chillin, west coast rollin' and self-righteous - VANCOVER

Originally posted by <KEY3>+Nov 1 2004, 05:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (<KEY3> - Nov 1 2004, 05:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-FIST2CUFFS@Nov 1 2004, 05:34 PM

toronto is the shit. you can get hotdogs at 4:00am there.

you can get a lot more than hotdogs at 4:00am my man.

I think it's very simple.....

just match the city to your personality type:

Poor yet stylish, the rebirth of slick - MONTREAL

Wheeler dealer, stressed to impress - TORONTO

chillin, west coast rollin' and self-righteous - VANCOVER

[/b]

ok so, let's get more specific for montreal and vancover. jobs, cost of living, etc...

thanks

Vancouver: west coast style. if you hate winters go there. Pretty hot all the time compared to the rest of Canada. A lot of rain though. Mountains + sea make it verry beautiful and interesting i guess... But i think that the cost of living is verry high compared to Montreal. Dont know about the job situation. A lot of asian people.

Montreal: Quebec style with a touch of english. if you love winters go there. You wont be able to paint wild style pieces for 3 or 4 months in the winter or you ll get frozen fingers. Montreal always been the poorer city in Canada , but since 10-15 years theres an economic boom. because of that traditional poverty the cost of living is one of the lowest in north america, and the rents of an appartment are low too. But since 5 years the prices are boosting up... so its not that cheap anymore, but you still can find some good deals. For the job situation, if you looking for some litle jobs on the side while studiyng for example, its easy to find them only in english. But i guess that if you want to make a real career you ll have to learn french.

If you want something different from the average american culture go there..

comparing here to NYC is retarded.

A co-worker is currently paying over 2k

a month for a 1 bedroom in St.Marks.

Toronto is the most expensive city to live in,

but no where near the cost of NYC. I mean here

for 2k a month you can rent a 4 bedroom house

with a yard and a double garage. Seriously.

You can buy a new condo for like 250k and that

would be like 700K+ in NYC.

Originally posted by gatita@Nov 1 2004, 06:35 PM

I second Glikos comments. And by the way its sounds (according to Earmuffs, who needs to get his ass down to NYC) its not that different in price range as a lot of places are in NY.

Stay in NY, even thou we never chill anyway. :)

i never leave the house anymore. just for work and sometimes school......haha

ny is way too expensive anyway!!!.

my only real issue is trying to run a u.s based business from another country. i dont want to relocate it all....ahh fuck it.

As long as you're not shipping dangerous goods across the border you should be good to go. Get yourself set up with the net and a good long distance phone plan et voila..

Toronto compared to NY...

Weather -- the same.

Price -- cheaper. Like key3 said... 5 bedroom 3 story house, backyard, parking, including all utilities.. 2g's. gets cheaper from there..

Transit -- you don't need a car unless you live in the burbs. 24 hour mainlines, so you can get home at 5am.

Lots of options for food, drink and clubs after 3am.

Culture -- pretty much the same, just on a smaller scale.

Healthcare.

Graf -- chill + lots of it.

Toronto -- most multicultural city on the planet.

Think of Toronto as NY, LA, and parts of Europe all wrapped up into one blanket with close to 5 million people.

Depending on what circles you're running in it definitely can be stuck up and snobby. And with those same circles can be either pretty chill or fast paced.

Montreal -- As much as I love visiting I just couldn't live there. The place turns into a small town the longer you're there. But I fuckin love the place and its just down the highway from Toronto.

I know quite a few folks either from Vancouver or are still there and I've got both good and bad. Very very beautiful, good weather if you don't mind rain, mountains.

Hard for jobs, most expensive city in Canada, extremely hard buff.

I'm biased though because Toronto's the fuckin best.

thanks for the info so far. i am either gonna try to teach or be a cop....lol. i have no skills other than i can bullshit decently and i like to sleep. ummm, also i wonder how my degree would transfer over or, how my credits would if i decide to continue at school.

seriosly thanks ppl, i am really giving this some thought.

Gooch

vancouver = too far from nyc

miontreal = only 6 hour drive from nyc (6 hour drive to toronto too)

vancouver/ toronto = faggets that paint freights and legals

montreal = hardcore motherfuckers that entertain with hardcore bombing, and the ciy is fucjking bombed (by some ny writers too like korn hefner.. a lot of kyt dtc.. they chill.. sever spek 3a etc.. so you have some america with you still

the only peoplpe up in vancouver or toronto illegal wise are peeps form montrela who destroy those opussy towns.. they started a lil scene since mtl writeres went

montreal = night life paradise mad mad girls everyone oin the streets till 3-4 am.. unlike tornoto and vancouver there little clubs close at 10 pm

toronto vancouver = clubs too far apart

mabe vancouver clubs till 4 and tornto till 2 but so much more gayer they like techno and trendyt shit..

then again theres what one can consider faggets in every city (tight jean wearing mother fuckers) but montrals probly overall better..

just advice from that persopaecitve.. to od

you sont need french to get by in montreal.. i live in montreal iand i dont know shit about french.. i beat and rob the fuck out of all the french wiggers... its manily english id say unless your in the east.. you sont need french especial;y for wrorking a job on the net.. ive worked as waiter busboy in everykind of place with no french.. just ell them to speak english and beat their ass if they diss you cause your english..

as far as pay rates.... it's about comparable to the US.

If you have a good job, you will make good money.

For example, I make over 40k a year but in the states

that actually a lot less. But at the same time, my rent

is also 'lower' than it would be in the states. Get that?

I mean really, anyone who been to canada can tell you that

the standard of living is about par with the states just we dont

have 'ghettos' or 'trailer parks' the way you do in the US.

Even some of the roughest areas of Toronto (parkdale rexdale scars)

are pretty well racially mixed compared to american cities.

As long as you're in the city it's no big deal to go anywhere.

The suburbs are more scarry to me than downtown shit.

if you have any real specific questions, ask away.