Officer who beat boy gets $1.6m

dojafx

_39259867_attack_203body_ap.jpg

A US policeman who was filmed punching a black youth and slamming him against a car has been awarded $1.6m (£890,000) in a race discrimination case.

Jeremy Morse, who was sacked by the Los Angeles police over the incident, said he had been treated more harshly than a black officer who was also there.

A second white officer was awarded $811,000 (£450,000) damages.

Inglewood Police Chief Ronald Banks, who had disciplined the officers, called the awards "ridiculous".

Mr Morse was caught on camera in July 2002 as he arrested 16-year-old Donovan Jackson at a petrol station in Inglewood.

He claimed Mr Jackson had grabbed his testicles - though that was not visible on the videotape.

The tape was repeatedly played on US TV stations and caused an uproar.

Mr Morse was sacked and his partner, Bijan Darvish, who is also white, was suspended for 10 days for filing a police report that failed to mention his partner's conduct.

Mr Morse was twice tried for assault but the case was dismissed after juries failed to reach a verdict. Mr Darvish was acquitted of filing a false report.

'Nationwide impact'

The men filed "reverse discrimination" lawsuits, claiming a third officer, Willie Crook, who also allegedly hit Mr Jackson with a torch and failed to report the incident, received only four days' suspension because he is black.

"This is not the first time police officers have been trapped in race situations where they suffered unfairly," said Mr Morse's lawyer, Gregory Smith.

"This will have an impact in police departments across the country."

Police Chief Banks, who is black, denied race was a factor.

"I based my decision on their actions and what I thought their responsibility was. It was based purely on the facts," he said after hearing news of the award.

"I was shocked at not only the verdict but the size of the awards. It was somewhat ridiculous."

Shouldnt this asshole be in jail instead of being a millionare?

What the fuck is wrong with california?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

No, he shouldn't be in jail. He's a cop, sometimes cops have to hit people. It's not like he beat the kid senseless. I can't remember the facts of this story since it's not really important enough to stick out in my mind after 3 years, but he has a point about racism and the black cop getting a slap on the wrist for doing essentially the same thing as him.

He does not deserve to be a millionaire, I agree, but based on what I just read here I do think he at least deserves his job.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jan 21 2005, 11:21 PM

No, he shouldn't be in jail. He's a cop, sometimes cops have to hit people. It's not like he beat the kid senseless. I can't remember the facts of this story since it's not really important enough to stick out in my mind after 3 years, but he has a point about racism and the black cop getting a slap on the wrist for doing essentially the same thing as him.

He does not deserve to be a millionaire, I agree, but based on what I just read here I do think he at least deserves his job.

good of you to defend him!

i agree, sometimes those crazy negros get out of hand and can even cause problems while handcuffed and need to be subdued!

Originally posted by Æ°@Jan 21 2005, 08:25 PM

When I first saw that fucking video I felt like putting a live hand grenade in my mouth and finding out how many cops I could kill in 8 seconds.

I feel like doing that all the time, but one has to be patient. They seem to be shooting themselves in the legs and groins enough with their own loaded guns that we don't need to do as much.

Like I said, I don't remember the facts of the case. I think I remember something about how the kid wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm not for excessive force, but the officer who got fired does have a point about the black officer who got a four day suspension for the same thing, assuming he also hit the kid.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jan 21 2005, 11:19 PM

I'm not for excessive force, but the officer who got fired does have a point about the black officer who got a four day suspension for the same thing, assuming he also hit the kid.

that's the thing though... they have video of the one officer hitting the suspect. the black officer 'allegedly' struck the suspect as well, but there was no hard evidence to support those allegations. therefore, the officer who was filmed hitting the suspect should definitely get more severe a punishment than the one who wasn't.

last year my good friend got the shit kicked out of him, (fractured arm and two broken ribs), simply because he didnt stop walking when a policeman asked him to stop.

then when he tried to take the officer to court the officer and two others said that my friend had tried attacking them. it didnt matter that me and about 4 other people were testifying in my friends defense; they won and my friend was put in jail. he was white though. eh. maybe not white enough?

Originally posted by Herbivore+Jan 24 2005, 02:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Jan 24 2005, 02:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> ...the black officer 'allegedly' struck the suspect as well, but there was no hard evidence to support those allegations. therefore, the officer who was filmed hitting the suspect should definitely get more severe a punishment than the one who wasn't.

[/b]

because one guy was caught on tape, but another wasnt, one should be punished more severely?! are you fucking retarded? if the black cop hit him, he should face the same penalty, period.

<!--QuoteBegin-symbols@Jan 24 2005, 02:29 PM

the police are fucking assholes and i don't think anyone deserves to get that kind of cash in some bullshit civil suit anyway.

no one deserves that much money in a civil suit? rodeny king didnt? amadau dialo or whatever his name is, his family didn't deserve a large settlement? malice greens family did not? sure, the case is very different, and i dont think HE deserved that much, but civil suits should not have a cap on them. one of the reason people sue for such ridiculous amounts of money is to set an example. most familys who lose someone say it's not about the money, it's about forcing companies etc. to think twice next time. this case is no different IMO.

i dont remember what happened with this case, but i know that nothing is as cut and dried as it seems. i have a tendency to distrust cops as a whole, and many sometimes abuse their power, but when you consider the position these guys are put in, i cant say i blame them in most scenarios. if you're beating a guy silly after he's submitted, that's one thing, but punching some punk kid who tried to grab your balls or was talking a grip of shit? so what?! 50 bucks says the kid was a piece of shit to begin with. that might not be the case, but if so, it's the exception, not the rule. the cop was wrong for hitting him, but society is wrong for being so fucking opportunistic. fix the epidemic of racism, not the sporadic outbreaks of symptoms of (possible) racism.

as for reverse racism, i've experienced more blatent racism than any black person i've ever met has. how many young black man can honestly say the've heard 'hey nigger, you better get out of here before my brother whoops your nigger ass?'. i'll bet that number is hovering somewhere between none and zero. racism is most definitely still alive in america, and minorities as a whole get screwed over daily, but if you want to talk blatent, ignorant racism, then any white kid who's spent any amount of time in a black area of the city is gonna take the cake. is it as 'destructive'? no, but that hardly makes it right.

seeks[/rant]

the operative word there was BULLSHIT civil suit.

come the fuck on.

millions for getting fired?

that is bullshit, i don't care what his earnings potential was.

the civil suits you mentioned obviously have a lot more principal behind them., and the police force is not a "company"

something tells me that very little mentality changes with those big forced fines.

and lets not forget, awards in civil suits are often just window dressing.

exxon has not paid a SINGLE DIME for VALDEZ.

not one dime. they have appealed and appealed.

it is estimated that Exxon has also made trillions by investing the money that was supposed to be paid out to victims so long ago.

lawsuits seem to rarely change minds.

as far as police, i don't care for giving them liberties because of what they have to deal with. people should think more often about the fact that racism created the very ghettos that these kids are crawling out of. so some instituions and government agencies are now paying the price.

what cop doesn't know this going in?

and they are still taught not to be brutal, and they still are.

i watched a cop put his gun in a friend's mouth to make a point.

fuck that, fuck the whole shit.

cops have never helped me, ever.

no matter how many times i've been a victim of a crime, and at this point that includes robbery, theft, assault and battery, assault with a deadly weapon and car theft X2, the police have NOT EVER helped me. i don't give a rat's ass what they are faced with.

and who is to decide what is a 'bullshit' case?

as far as im concerned, the lapd maknig a scapegoat of this guy is 'bullshit', and while i dont think it warrants 1.6 million dollars, im still glad the guy one. im sick of it being ok to pick on white people cause society is too chicken shit to accept and face reality.

i'm sure there are plenty of cops who abuse their powers, and truth be told, i've had very few instances where i was really helped out by a cop, but that doesnt mean i've lost sight of how things could be if they didnt exist.

ghetto's and impoverished areas have a whole lot more against them than the police, that's just one symptom of a problem that is much larger than any man. IMO. and truth be told, if we're talking about abuse of power and ignorant cops, i've seen waaaaaaayyyyyyyy examples of blatent ignorance and racism by black cops than i ever have by white cops.

ive been beaten down by black cops for no other reason than walking (unfortunately with paint on me) in a black area of town. maybe i'm being nieve, but while they might get hassled, i doubt many black kids are catching straight beat downs for being in the 'white' parts of town. shit like that just doesnt really happen anymore.

shit like that doesn't happen anymore???

anyway.

I decide what cases are bullshit.

:haha:

look, i was ranting too.

i think there are far too many issues being brought to bear in the courts.

some of this shit, like you said, is a symptom of a problem that exists in society and is not something than can be fixed by legislation...in MY opinion.

legislation didn't fix racism, after all.

and i can't make those blanket statements about cops of certain races. cops around here are ALL assholes, no matter what race they are. they wield too much power and they get too much credit.

this city is off the fucking hook.

there was an entire family of 7 murdered last year because they always called the cops on the drug dealers in their hood. a molotov cocktail went through another activist's house (thankfully not killing anyone) a couple weeks ago.

the police are becoming violent out of sense of desperation.

not the way to support the community, if you ask me.

they manage to alienate everyone with their tactics.

my reality: until blacks are standing on equal footing in the united states, there is going to be a price paid by whites because they have been born into a more privileged society, and that price might be an acceptable one imo.

blabahhabbabbblllaaaaahhhha

all talk.

Hahaa.... that kind of shit doesn't happen anymore?

Detroit might still be the most segregated city in the US but it is still far more multicultural and tolerant (hence the word "urbane") than just about any place out in the sticks..... where they can hang a nigger, have the whole police force watch, and the judge will hand out medals.

Noone can hear you scream out there. Think wrong turn...

the middle of arkansas doesnt count.

ha.

alright, alright, i'm sure it does still happen in random remote areas, but every single time i walk into a liquor store in the middle of the ghetto, i get some comment. and if you're both going to tell me that racism towards white people is not just pretty much accepted with little more than a shrug, then...well....i dont know.

and as far as the notion that white people have more 'privledge' simply by birth right... i know whole trailer parks full of motherfuckers that will whole heartedly disagree. shit is about economics and education, not color. the sooner people accept that, the sooner i wont have to listen to dumb motherfuckers like 'dead prez' justify making songs like 'slap a white boy'. bitch, slap me and ill blow your fucking face off.

to quote the grouch

'it's time for the kettle to call the pot black back,

cause if thats not the way to act, then thats not the way to react'

sorry, im just really sick of racism being acceptable for any reason. i understand why it is, but i dont agree.

i'm talking about institutional discrimination

the way people are discouraged from doing certain things because it's out of their league.

as a woman in science, i see this shit all the time.

and of course i can see that most white men don't usually get it, because what they end up experiencing is backlash.

it's about attitudes, first impressions, etc

that's the shit i'm getting at.

subtle prejudice that goes unnoticed because it's ingrained in the way people think.

i guess i don't experience those types of "what's the white person doing around here" shits either, because baltimore's ghettos are pretty integrated, unless you count high-rise housing projects, which were finally all imploded in the late nineties

(as a kid, i always thought those things looked like a hellish cross between a jail and a human zoo)

anyway, i still live in a world where an inner city black kid is just more likely to have a shitty time in a shitty school because no one is paying any money to those school districts. (chicago is a perfect example of the disparity in per student spending according to neighborhood)

don't get me wrong: i don't think racism against whites is the answer, i don't think it's acceptable.

i agree that more people need to take responsibility for their actions.

they're chaldeans, not arabs ;)

being an educated white male definitely puts you at an advantage, but the 'educated' part is far more important than the white. in 'professional' society, generally speaking, uneducated white people are treated no differently than uneducated black people, and in a lot of instances, they're treated almost worse, because there is no fear of backlash for mocking them. people in my office have no problem mocking the couple 'white trash' people who work here for their 'marlboro gear' and mountain dew, but if you even suggest making fun of any of the black folks for anything, it's like the naacp were sharing your cube.

from my experiences (which are obviously colored by being an intelligent, although not particularly educated, while male) how you choose to present yourself matters more than anything else. if people can relate to you, they'll give you a chance, if you alienate them, they wont.

i obviously dont know what its like in the scientific world, but dont you think your treatment might be as much the result of your chosen appearance, rather than your gender? maybe white male scientists are total cock suckers, but it seems to me that someone with that level of education who's gone through school with intelligent women by their side would be a little less baised based simply on gender. maybe not though.

no, it's not about how i look.

trust me, there are soome dirty motherfucking scientists and i'm not one of em.

the goddamn president of harvard has recently taken a LOT of flack for proclaiming that women are less capable in science and math.

what a jackass.

and he's the president of HARVARD.

it's institutional biases.

just look at the numbers of women getting bachelor's degrees in science and math, then look at how many women professors there are.

it's pretty bad.

it surprised me, when i got to academia, to see so many women technicians, and so many male principal investigators.