odd sighting

MESTHREE

A while back I was sitting in a school yard near some tracks at about 3 am being a drunk when a really odd train passed by... first of all it was fr8s and that was odd cause usually only commuters run on the line...infact In my whole life Ive only ever seen fr8s there twice...but what was really wierd was that after about 30 assorted freight cars it had a flat with a bunch of subway cars on it... then a few more box's then one single go train car then more assorted fr8s....what the hell? I dont know but for this city it was a really strange thing to see...any of you other toronto kids ever seen anything like this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i didn't think that subway cars ran on different rail guage, i wonder what they were doing on a flat, probably got some damage somehow. i've heard of subway cars being transported via rail, they just couple them onto the other cars.

the go train I can answer easily. bombardier just ships them at the end of regular trains. I see the ones going to systems in vancouver, seattle, and san jose every now and then. it was probably just a new one on its way to islington or somthing. as for the subway cars....think of where this line goes...does it pass greenwood or maybe the downsview yards? both places are able to recieve deliveries by rail...and thats how the new cars arrive on TTC property.

This was probably just a regular switching local that needed to make a delivery to the TTC by way of a line that hardly ever gets used by freight.

does that help?

Not sure about canadian pass. rail but most american subway, commuter and general pax rail opperate on the standard 3' gauage (at least i think its 3 feet). as for seeing subways being delivered on freight it is a rarety. ive seen those old R68's when they were introduced into the nycta riding on flat bed freights. as well as some overhauled R46's. even where i live now, on a very rare occasion, ive seen MARTA trains being hauled over freight tracks..what was funny about this is because most subway cars dont use the knuckle coupler they were tugging it very slowly with ropes..

by the way ese that article in november trains was tight. kind of puts all those bloody intermodals i see while benching into perspective.

Guest cracked ass

On the "rarely freight lines" tip, I have been surprised a couple of times to notice small freights (local switchers) rolling on what I thought were exclusively commuter lines, always late at night when the commuter traffic is done for the day. I immediately prowled these lines, either manually or simply by riding the train, and found the layups the switcher served, a small percentage of which were doable spots.

Archived