NY's RETAIL MAFIA

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was about to ask why you posted a pic of a-ron...

interesting atricle.

the way japanese run business is totally diff, just as the article says.

there are a collective company under one huge brother company..kind of like a distributor.

so if one brand seems to be lackin in funds, sales etc...the other brands come in to support

that lacking brand.

so that no one brand would really fall off. and everyone shares the benefits.

sounds a little like communism...haha

Hipsterrific.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about lifestyle marketing and branding right now. On one hand, you've got to market your shit somehow, but on the other hand all the marketing can destroy the lifestyle itself.

Clearly these brands market themselves as clothing for creative urban hipsters, but isn't part of being creative not having to buy things to be cool? Is this whole culture based around anything other than consumerism? It seems to me that someone who was actually cool and original would screen their own damned T shirts instead of paying $70 for something that says "supreme" on it.

As far as I know, graffiti and hip hop music are about writing your name on a wall and rapping, not who has the rarest, most expensive shoes or jeans or whatever.

Originally posted by The Hipster@Jan 19 2005, 12:20 PM

some links:

ssurempirestatealife

supreme

marriedtothemob

davesqualitymeat

add more...

not too many people are up on ssur. i have a shirt of theirs from 97 or 98. it may even be 96 i think. its got some mafia dudes on it above a map of brooklyn and pints out where they ran. i always think of puttin that thing up on ebay to see what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...