NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS

Guest TrustEvil

Guest TrustEvil

Last summer everyone and their retarded brother were getting their panties in a bunch over the numbers game....how important it was to be the next onorok or worms or whoever the fuck it was...just curious if that's still the "in" thing this year....someone posted about Sigh having rocked 500 last year, and all I could think to myself was; "what a fucking loser, he really needs to get a life and do something else with some of that free time". Granted it's important to be dedicated to what you love doing, but at a certain point you gotta draw the line and branch out a little. I'll be the first to admit I got wrapped up in the numbers game for a minute, but then I woke up and realized that shit wasn't in the least bit important, numbers have nothing to do with why I continue to paint.....in fact with the way the internet works, I could paint 5 trains a year and still be fucking famous...am I alone in my sentiments towards this issue ? I doubt it, but even if I am, who gives a shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Merdle

I hear ya. I keep count of my trains for personal reasons, so I can look back at the old freight log when I'm 90 and reminise. But I find that If I'm painting 5 trans a night so I can say I did, the quality of the work and the feeling is gone. Its more like a chore then a hobby. I find it much more rewarding to just paint when I feel like it, weather it be 10 trains a week or not even one. I personally think most writers with lots of numbers are somewhat stagnent with their work. They do the same thing over and over with dofferent colors and shit. Thats just me though.

haha, i hate seeing cats that do the same bullshit over and over. it's as if the freights have become the streets and kids are just doing throw ups and calling them freights. most of that shit just gets covered up anyway. i didn't start painting freights to see a bunch of throw ups, i got into this shit when all you saw was burners. nowadays, there's so much crap on these things the only way to rock is to go over some small ass bullshit throwie a little sorry ass piece. one a night, that's all. if you don't burn yourself out on your piece then you didn't give it all you got. why embarass yourself with a tiny piece of your heart when you can open eyes with the whole damn thing exposed...

Guest 0three

unfortunately last year i got involved in the number game and now i look back at some of the shit i did and noticed how my pieces sucked, all for the sake of getting my name on as many fr8s as i could...this year, as someone pointed out, i just have fun with it...id like to be known as someone who has consitantly painted average amount of fr8s...rather then a guy whos a household name and has thousands of fr8s but the quality lacks a bit on half of them...i think its great that sigh painted 500 fr8s last year but personally thats something i wouldnt want to do or attempt that...i just try and paint for myself

i tend to paint in spurts. some flurry of activity for a month or two and then it's back to this (sorta) steady stream of 2-3 every other weekend. i'm not real sure what causes this...part of it must be a numbers thing - it'd be a lie if i said painting for me has nothing to do with that. which isn't to say i've churned out some record amount. anyway.

personally i put in more work when i wanna separate from my "real" life. those times that i get up most mark me being content the least. when i'm happy there's less reason to rock.

Ive only done five this year. Last year, every time I painted it was a freight, I think I did 5 walls. This year, its the other way around.

I would much rather do freight, but doing only that made my style really lopsided, I would stand in front of a wall and have no idea what to do. I dont consider myselfy missing out on all the freight I could be doing, I consider it an oppurtunity to get better all around. When it comes down to it, Im doing this for me. I would love to do a ton of freight, but in the end, its more important to me to improve my skill as much as I can, and be a more well rounded writer.

...maybe i'm reading this wrong...but it sounds like some of you guys are trying to say that sigh did 500 pieces and they are all half-ass...well let me tell you that that is bull shit...sigh does quality pieces everytime... yes the outlines are similar on them, but so what...they're definately not throw-ups, or two colors... some people become addicted to painting, that's all you can think about, and eventually your city runs out of walls, but the freights keep coming... some people are definately in the numbers game, especially around my way, and i know people that already have 300 freights this year... and it's not about just doing some simple shit on a train to get your name up it's about doing high quality pieces so people see your shit and remember you... being able to do 300-500 quality freights in a year is definately an acomplishment...but it should always be about having fun and i believe anyone that paints that much enjoys it...if it's not your thing, that's cool, but don't knock people that are out there busting there ass with a passion you can not understand..

Originally posted by TrustEvil

Last summer everyone and their retarded brother were getting their panties in a bunch over the numbers game....how important it was to be the next onorok or worms or whoever the fuck it was...just curious if that's still the "in" thing this year....someone posted about Sigh having rocked 500 last year, and all I could think to myself was; "what a fucking loser, he really needs to get a life and do something else with some of that free time". Granted it's important to be dedicated to what you love doing, but at a certain point you gotta draw the line and branch out a little. I'll be the first to admit I got wrapped up in the numbers game for a minute, but then I woke up and realized that shit wasn't in the least bit important, numbers have nothing to do with why I continue to paint.....in fact with the way the internet works, I could paint 5 trains a year and still be fucking famous...am I alone in my sentiments towards this issue ? I doubt it, but even if I am, who gives a shit.

i feel ya....

Guest TrustEvil

shit, ya'll beat me to it...i was just gonna say that sigh doesn't half-ass anything, burners or two-colors (he does em plenty like everyone else).

i think the real issue at hand is where do you draw the line before you become a graffiti robot as opposed to a graffiti writer.

Originally posted by Merdle

I personally think most writers with lots of numbers are somewhat stagnent with their work.

somewhat? psshhh. i wont step on any toes but i know i have a lot less respect for some writers just because of this. deep down i know they can rock it if they wanted to but they're too worried about their little stamps so they can be seen. personally..i'd rather be stopped once and have the kids memory of it be "hell yeah that shit was ill." instead of seeing a stamp "oh..i've caught that same stamp 10 times." just me..but...it makes sense in my head.

Guest Graff Jesus

damn you graffiti politicians... i'll say it. FUCK YOU GRAFFITI FACTORIES. change your shit up dammit - ITS BORING. i'd rather be known for shocking the house when i make an appearance rather than just showing up every day with some "ho-hum" shit.

what happened to actually trying to advance your skills? any jackass with spare time can go out every night and write on some trains. i'm only interested in the fresh stuff.

Guest SPFlatty
Originally posted by Graff Jesus

FUCK YOU GRAFFITI FACTORIES

anyone ever heard the song "step father factory" by el emeno (i think it's by him)?

i already stated me opinion on this a million times. freights aren't about getting up, but about burning! if you're not making the metal hot, than you're just wasting paint.

and stop dissin fools shit! that street mentality is making the lines ugly...

Guest Graff Jesus
Originally posted by SPFlatty

anyone ever heard the song "step father factory" by el emeno (i think it's by him)?

its by el-p ... it's from the new fantastic damage cd.

Guest bigdork

freights are about numbers, unless your a stamplicking faggot who does a couple nice burners that are sponsored by some mag with some euro gay galaxy blue and southeastern german phunky phat thin tip!! real freight writers live and breathe it and combine quanity with quality, you have to paint alot to get respect the real way!

every time i hear talk about numbers i think of that joke Robert Duval told Sean Penn in colors, about the two bulls:

here it go.

there was a poppa bull and a jr. bull sittin on the hill overlooking a heard of cows. the jr. bull said hey daddy lets run down and fuck one of those cows. the poppa bull said no son, lets walk down and fuck them all.

If your into numbers cool, I think somebody already said this, but im in it for the fun....me personally i dont see how doing 20 to 30 pieces a week can be fun. If your gonna do thousands of pieces a year you might as well get a job painting railroad cars because thats an awful lot of work just for fun!

Everyone gets caught up in numbers I was and I did ALOT of wack stuff I wish wasn't rolling but fuck it it's all learning.What I want to know is how the fuck do some of these guys have lives???like girlfriends, jobs, boys outside of the graffiti thing etc etc.............like how can they do it?I paint like 5 to 10 trains a week some weeks and then i'll take a night off to hang out with the girlfriend or to roll to the pub or whatever.Balance is key I know but theirs been times when my social skills have become so transfixed that I can't get along with any one unless we talk painting.

NUMBERS

IF ANYONE HERE PAINTS FOR THE NUMBERS SHIT YOU MIGHT AS WELL QUIT. YOU KNOW THAT OG FR8 THUG THE SOLO ARTIST GOT MORE NUMBERS THEN YOU AND ALL YOUR BOYS NUMBERS ADDED UP. SERIOUSLY THOUGH THE SOLO ARTIST IS THE MUTHAFUCKEN KING OF GETTING UP ON TRAINS.

Re: NUMBERS

Originally posted by CROOKWCMGMC

IF ANYONE HERE PAINTS FOR THE NUMBERS SHIT YOU MIGHT AS WELL QUIT. YOU KNOW THAT OG FR8 THUG THE SOLO ARTIST GOT MORE NUMBERS THEN YOU AND ALL YOUR BOYS NUMBERS ADDED UP. SERIOUSLY THOUGH THE SOLO ARTIST IS THE MUTHAFUCKEN KING OF GETTING UP ON TRAINS.

yea i do see him more then any one much more, no body is even close.. props to him... when did he start.. the oldest i caught was from like 91 92.... and OX owns WC cars well at least the ones i see

...sorry there is a big difference between doing a streak on a train and doing a piece...i mean you can do as many streaks as there are trains in your yard...but unless you brought a u-hual of paint with you that's out of the question, never mind the time factor...you can't compare streak numbers and piece numbers...

Guest TrustEvil

despite the fact that TSA is one of the all-time kings of the lines, i must second porque's comments about streaks...you can streak in essentially any yard at almost any time, which isn't something you can say about rocking burners...nonetheless, solo deserves his props for being one of the very best at what he does.

Guest KING BLING

I'm gonna say this because someone should....atleast 80% of the guys here talking about "numbers are wack I do it for myself" and "I was into the numbers game" were toys trying to make a quick name. You have no idea what a lot of the writers that have been into this for a while now are thinking - they are thinking its a glourious day to have the "in" thing moving towards less freights. It is all about numbers , but doing it up properly and respecting some of the rules - which most of you didn't with some shitty ass piece covering numbers and leaving cans around. I don't care if you do it for yourself like a fucking art student, just don't act high and mighty because your personality changes seasonaly.

Archived