"Nuclear Option"

deterrent

This Tuesday, the Senate will vote on Republican Leader Bill Frist's "nuclear option"

to break the rules of the Senate and give the Republican Party absolute control

over appointing federal judges.

For 200 years the minority's right to filibuster has kept our courts fair, by making

sure that federal judges needed to get at least some support from both sides of the

aisle before they were given life time appointments.

If Frist eliminates the filibuster, his next step would be to force far right partisan judges

onto the powerful U.S. Courts of Appeals. The real targets, however, are the four seats

on the Supreme Court likely to become vacant in the next four years.

With that much power on the Supreme Court, the far right could strike down decades of

progress on labor rights, environmental protections, reproductive rights, and privacy.

The "nuclear option" will live or die by a final vote, probably on Tuesday, and the vote is

still way too close to call. There are at least 6 moderate Republicans still on the fence

and only 3 more votes needed to win. If we can get enough of our voices into congress

and into the streets in the next 24 hours, we can still save our courts.

Please take a minute to join me and sign the emergency petition today.

My Webpagehttp://www.moveonpac.org/nuclear

Starting Monday, the petition will be delivered straight to Congress every three hours until

the final vote, and many of our comments will be read aloud on the Senate floor.

thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Our constitution was constructed to prevent shit like this from going down. To keep the divide, to balance the system. At the same time these "far right" fucktards are being elected so perhaps the majority of Americans really dont value their freedom and liberty.

It seems to me that we are in a transitional phase. The electorate is putting alot of changes on paper. Even if it isnt being fully enforced once it hits the books its fair game. In other words.... America could become a police state overnight. Even though alot of these laws havent gone into practice whats to say that they wont? Once it starts who has the power to stop them? I think average Americans are just ignoring this but if you think about it in just 4 years we have really lost alot.

Guest KING BLING

I don't know why more isn't being said about the use by republicans of virtually the identical tactics during Clintons time in office. I mean it gets mentioned but only on programs most people don't watch seriously and in articles people won't read. Tonight I was watching C-Span and Bush was asked by a reporter about the Clinton thing and he just said basicly 'I'm president and this is what I want' ignoring the actual question completely, which is not surprising, but you won't read tommorow that Bush skirted the issue, since he didn't deem it important enough to give it a real responce the media won't either...

And it makes me sick that these psychos basicly change the rules (DeLay and now the filibuster) or use existing conditions in ways they were never meant to be (The use of National Security as a blanket for anything, the right to some descision making privacy at the White House abused here for one as The Energy Task Force, Etc...)used to further there agenda. It baffles me that anyone would be so bent on getting there way they would stretch the laws to unknown limits and people still support them, future and freedom be damned as long as girls who I don't know and hate paying taxes to support don't get abortions and my farm subsidies stay on hit...

I wonder if the democrats could filibuster the vote on the filibuster - that would be badass...

In response to King Bling... That's what happens when the media is owned and controlled by the right-wing.

And the people are too ignorant to realize or even give a shit.

Keep playing your X-Box pussies till that gets banned to you fucking morrons!!!!! :hatred: :hatred:

sf1: it's not only about the right wing media. it's corporations who own the media. that's where mistakes are made. you think ge, who owns nbc, msnbc etc are going to report on nuclear plants? nope. they own some.

it goes on and on. i think if we took corporate out of media and brought i back to grassrooots style, it would be alot better. less agendas.

just my opinion, though.

the leader: i think he's speaking of video games running peoples lives. you and i are too old to let that happen. i don't play games all that often, but i do enjoy them. some people let video ghames brainwash them into submission. fortunately, they're 8.

may ruper murdock writhe in pain forever and ever. amen.

It's outrageous that Frist is breaking Senate rules to take away senators' most powerful line of defense against extremist judges: the filibuster. Rather than abuse his power, he should work with President Bush to find moderate judges that the vast majority of senators can get behind. The American public agrees - a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll shows that 66 percent of Americans oppose changing Senate rules.

Originally posted by The Leader@May 24 2005, 07:54 AM

^keep complaining on a message board pussy instead of taking any real action and condemning people who play videogames.

What the fuck did the xbox comment even accomplish?

Let me rephrase that...

Keep spending all your spare time (that you aint working 60 hours a week to get those "blingin rims son") playing X-Box, sitting infront of the TV watching fake news and worrying about the SuperBowl, and less time paying attention to what the fuck is happening to our country that our parents, grand parents great-great, grandparents all fought to "keep free" that we and our kids are gonna be stuck living in constant fear of the law locking us up for looking and thinking wrong after they close the boarders and finish creating a police state worse than Communism cause we basically handed it over to their Rightwing coup without raising a finger in resistance! you bunch of brain-dead noodles!

(This is aimed at Americans in general, no one particular.)

The best move i can think of is the one that drags my ass to Canada. I think America is already gone. It was a pretty good stretch but all good things eventually come to an end. Pretty soon it will get worse. Canada has all the security of America being a close ally and is alot more liberal. Germany seems pretty fresh too. I wouldnt mind having a Beer Garden near the criblet. If it comes down to it you can find my ass canoeing the Detroit River. Ha..... I bet i wouldnt make it 5 feet out of American waters. I probably wouldnt even make it 1/10th of the way to Canada

i signed that petition

"I am concerned that an important facet of the check and balance system is being considered for elimination. It seems to me that choosing judges who everyone can agree on is the obvious solution".

while thinking of something to write, i realized that i barely know the basics of the issue, and could not persuade anyone