Now that it's out, let's discuss Fahrenheit 9/11.

Poop Man Bob

I saw it yesterday with my woman at 4:20 pm. The line was light when I got there about 45 minutes in advance, but there were still about 20 people ahead of us. The lady working the front told us that the previous showings had sold out, so I was glad to be there early. The audience was a pretty good mixture of young/old and black/white (and all shades in between).

As cliche as it might sound, I laughed, cried, and sat in blank silence. The movie starts off discussing the Saudi-Bush ties, moves onto the Patriot Act, and then to the Iraq war. It is a completely damning indictment of the Bush administration. I find it hard to believe that anyone could leave a theater after watching that movie and not hate Bush and his band of cronies. But then again, I am biased, and the movie merely served to reinforce my already existing ideas and beliefs. I still feel it would push anyone on the fence over to the anti-Bush side.

Obviously, the movie has an agenda. It is not an unbiased discussion of America post-9/11. Moore wants Bush out of office, and it clearly comes through in the movie ... so don't go expecting an analytical view of the administration.

Plus, it seems as though I'm not the only one to see the movie. It won the Friday box office wars, taking in an estimated $8.2 million (with White Chicks [$6.7] coming in at #2).

In case you have yet to see the trailer, click here.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess im going to have to jump on the michael moore band wagon and start seeing some of this yuppies movies. haha.

hate feeling like im missing out.

i havent seen F. 9/11 yet but the commercial i caught of him asking poiticians to sign up their kids to go help out in the war was hilarious.

I'm seeing it when I go to work on Monday. People have been calling us about it nonstop for the past two weeks, when I was working Wednesday we were getting probably 10 calls an hour about the film and getting tickets. I work in a independant art theater just outside the city and in the past 3 years no film has had this much interest at our theater on opening weekend. I don't like Michael Moore, but I like Bush even less, so I am interested in seeing this film. I'll weigh in later.

Originally posted by fermentor666

I'm seeing it when I go to work on Monday. People have been calling us about it nonstop for the past two weeks, when I was working Wednesday we were getting probably 10 calls an hour about the film and getting tickets. I work in a independant art theater just outside the city and in the past 3 years no film has had this much interest at our theater on opening weekend. I don't like Michael Moore, but I like Bush even less, so I am interested in seeing this film. I'll weigh in later.

1) What was the volume of calls you received from people telling you not to show the movie? From what I've read online, there was a big movement by the right to get theaters to not even bring the movie there. The right: why let people choose, when we can choose for them?

2) Don't let your dislike of Moore prevent you from seeing the movie. He consciously doesn't put himself in front of the camera as much as previous films, instead letting the footage/facts speak for itself. He's only in front of the camera a few times during the movie.

Yeah, there is definitely an effort to make you think a certain way about things when you walk out of that movie. But I thought it was great, Like Mr. Moore said himself, if I want the other side of the coin I can just turn on the TV at any given time. The crowd at the showing I attended was of a very diverse age. A cop came into the theatre, threatened to arrest a woman for disorderly conduct and made her leave the theatre because she was handing out bumper stickers that said, "No more bullshit! No more Bush!" Everyone started to boo, and at least a dozen people got up, demanded refunds for the tickets, and left after that. The film managed to make me want to cry one minute, and then 2 seconds later I'm laughing my ass off. Afterwards my friends and I hung out in the parking lot and talked about it for an hour or so. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start blowing shit up or give everyone in sight a hug afterwards, I had this unusual energy about me for the rest of the night.

Saw it last night, incredible movie, it is biased as it shows through that moore wants bush out of office, i agree 100%, i went to watch it with a republican friend of mine, he was in awe.

I loved this movie based on the fact that yes, if i turn on the tv, i am hit with the republican bullshit every single time, it's nice to see this, there was talk on the morale of the troops getting shot down due to a film like this getting released at a time like this, what do you all think about that?

On another note, starting july 1st, the police in my state will the the authority to ask for legal status of anybody they wish to ask, meaing that me, being a spanish gentleman, can be walking down the street and i can get detained if i dont carry my greencard with me, so that essentially means that i have to carry a "get out of jail card' , and it also means that racial profiling will now be legal,....it falls under the homeland security , patriot act bullshit, to keep terrorist away, but ask yourself this, if there's a redneck fucking cop, who knows he has the power to kick out any , latino, african, middle eastern person from this country, even though they might be here busting their ass to survive, what do you think he will do? Abuse of power maybe... and those that say asian and european immigrants are also here on the illegal tip...who do you all really think will be asked for documents? Piere Le'fout from france or jhonny sanchez from fucking nicaragua?

The film was good, i had to put my diatribe in there.

Guest BROWNer

i saw it last night, pretty much the exact scenario as you poop.

after sitting through 10 commercials

of complete garbage(the new richard gere/jlo movie

looks like a rrrreeal winner), people finally settled and shut up.

the movie: there were

parts that i laughed my ass off, usually at bush(i regret to admit that there

is something endearing about the fucker in the context of this film...also, john

asscroft singing was truly fucking hilarious/disturbing, among many other examples), and footage that i had only the slightest idea about..

which really drove home how perverted and sick american 'democracy'

has become under the tutelage of people that are so out of touch with your

working class american that its practically a farce.

and lipscombe..wow. i kept thinking as i watched what it would be like to be

in a theatre full of people like her, who have/had family members active or

layed up in a hospital missing limbs or dead.

it's a pretty forceful presentation that i think will definitely get pro-bush people

thinking(if they have any semblance of logic and aren't robotic).

i'm glad he dissed the dems too, good move.

people are going to see this film in big numbers. hopefully people get out, vote,

and bring justice to these sonofabitchez.

Yea, I totally wanted to go blow shit up. It was so goddamn powerful, I cringed and looked away at alot of the photos from Iraq. I wanted to shoot the solider in the face that said," Burn, burn; let the motherfucker burn, burn motherfucker burn...," and when the recited Let the bodies hit the floor, you have no idea how pissed I was....I loved how he had pvt. Pederson's(or whatever) mom, before and after he was killed. Lots of "LoL"s

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by LaCosaNostra

I loved how he had pvt. Pederson's(or whatever) mom, before and after he was killed. Lots of "LoL"s

really? that's callous man..

Guest BROWNer

ahh...sorry dude, my bad. seemed like you were saying it was funny

that she went from pro-war to being completely crushed

into a black hole of grief.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

1) What was the volume of calls you received from people telling you not to show the movie? From what I've read online, there was a big movement by the right to get theaters to not even bring the movie there. The right: why let people choose, when we can choose for them?

2) Don't let your dislike of Moore prevent you from seeing the movie. He consciously doesn't put himself in front of the camera as much as previous films, instead letting the footage/facts speak for itself. He's only in front of the camera a few times during the movie.

Apparently we've gotten a few phone calls about people who say they don't want us to show the film and one or two who said they would protest. I'll find out if anyone protested this weekend when I show up on Monday. There has definitly been way more support for the film then there is against it at my theater.

Even if I did not want to see the film, it would be pretty hard for me to not watch. I'm showing it on two screens from the booth where I spend most of my day. I want to see it, and even if I like it I am sure that I will be pretty desensitized to it after a few shifts working there. Happens with most films.

Saw it yesterday as well. I knew most of what was brought up, but some of it was a complete shock to me. Did anyone else notice the .. "crazy" look in the "the roof is on fire" guy's eyes? But yeah, I laughed. I got teary eyed. And I sat there in silent disbelief. Everyone should watch it.

Or haha, the look on the dark haired senators face when Moore asked him to enlist his son. That shit was priceless.

Guest BROWNer

okay, not to derail the thread here, but in addition to the cbc

interviews, here's a streaming doc on the carlyle group(mentioned

in moore's film), complete with an effective, tasty ass soundtrack:

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article3995.htm

also, here is the cbc fifth estate news program on bush/9.11/saudi

'conspiracy theories' that the much longer in depth interviews

posted above were culled from: http://informationclearinghouse.info/article5103.htm

(i'm not sure if it works..give it a try if you care).

i am going to see this movie tomorrow and i am actually looking for it now on line.

yeah, things are getting me worried with all the homeland security shit.

but the climate of things in general is just troublesome.

i am seriously thinking about moving to canada.

how is the job market up there?

what is an average salary for a teacher??

Guest BROWNer

avg. salary for a teacher in british columbia is $30-35g's. that's with a degree.

a master's gets you another 10, but then you might have trouble getting a job

against someone with a degree unless your specialty is relevent. and you might want to hold on until the election is over before moving here..

PMB on point

i saw it opening day with my stepdad who is a professor of political science. he was tellin me all kinds of crazy shit that supposedly is connected that isnt even in the movie.

aparently that guy bath, the financial guy for the bin laden family, also has a tie to the mayor of houston. thought that was interesting

i found several parts very hard to watch, especially the reading of the letter from the soldier by his mom. then the stringin up of the burnt bodies. the iraqi woman screaming at the camera was hard too. that one scene though with the mother at the white house, and that stupid bitch starts sayin its all fake and starts questioning her to where and when her son died. makes u jsut wanna pop in the movie and slap the bitch and tell her to be tactful...

i thought this was much better than Bowling for columbine, because a lot of the editing tricks that moore did in that film are absent here. not only that but he cuts down on his voiceovers so much that he really does let the film speak for itself.

o another interesting thing that my stepdad told me. when moore aproaches the one congressman and he just gets a blank look...aparently the congressman goes on to say that his nephew is over there. reason moore didnt include it was because at the time of shooting his nephew wasnt actually there.... a lil dodgy, but overall quite a good good film.

being from houston its not suprising to hear bout all the connections between carlyle, kellog BR and enron...

I'm biased as well Poop, as I have been anti-Bush since he started threatening with an invasion of Iraq. So of course I'm glad he released it, and yeah I thought it was good, and from a political standpoint it was perfect for being just months before the November elections. It also had plenty of funny moments to keep you laughing.

i plan on seeing it asap. from what i hear it's excellent. i'll report back once i've seen it.

my buddy's mom is on the 911 comission, and he told me that at the film's premier Moore had her and her friends who are also on the comission stand up to recieve a standing ovation. i thought that was pretty neat.

Just got back from seeing it.. I don't have enough energy to comment on specifics right now but it was basically what I thought it'd be.

'What I thought it'd be' being a near-two-hour rehash on everything that's been going on for the past several years laid out in lamens for the people who weren't paying attention the first time around.

Worth the ticket, none the less.

Archived