Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Now HERE'S a bright note "A Better Life, But Not in the U.S."

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KaBar2, Aug 17, 2003.

1. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Jennifer Beauprez of The Denver Post reports:

"Many foreign nationals no longer consider America as the land of opportunity. Economists, businesspeople and other experts say growing number of immigrants are moving back to their home countries of Pakistan, India, China, Singapore and Vietnam--countries with job and economic growth sometimes double or triple that of the United States."

(And I thought they came here because they wanted to be loyal Americans and enjoy our way of life. Seems like what they really wanted was a high-paying job and lots of money. Darn. We're really going to miss them.)

"I go to China and see people's eyes sparkling," Zhang said. "It's full of life and vitality there. In contrast to the U.S., where we're reaching a plateau, perhaps going down."

"Economists say the exodus could hurt the U.S. economy because America is losing some of the world's smartest and most entrepreneurial people."

"Yet there is a trade-off. said Zhang, the Chinese consultant. The people who spent time in America suffer from what she calls "re-entry shock" when returning home. In China, houses typically are cramped, and houses are bureaucratic, offering little room for advancement or personal initiative, Zhang said. And in India, simple things such as getting phone service, banking or receiving health care can take weeks.

"I think it's a loss for the long run," said Wobbekind, the economist. "Over the centuries, that's what made our country great, having a melting pot of different cultures and talents. We're accidentally exporting some smart people who could easily compete with us."

How can this be a bad thing? We bring these people here so they can learn and develop, and RETURN HOME so they can help improve things THERE. I think we have quite enough Pakistani Ph.D's running convenience stores and Chinese dentists and computer programmers driving taxi's here in the U.S. This idea that it is some kind of shame for them to live THERE and us to live HERE, and for the wretched Third World to bring their living standards up to "civilized" is erroneous. There is powerful economic growth in Asia? Wonderful. India is becoming a technological wellspring? Super. Now when we go there on vacation, we'll at least be able to drink the water in their restaurants.

2. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

3. Neskoner

Neskoner New Jack

Who woulda knew...

4. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I won't give up until I die.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

i would not have came across that had it not been posted on here, same for a lot of worthwhile stuff in the past few days

6. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

lately i've been thinking the real promise lands are canada and australia. in canada, i could smoke pot without getting harassed, i would have health insurance, and i would not live in a country that was run by george bush. yea there's sars over there but who fucking cares? sars shmars. australia---beautiful weather. killer surfing--you can still do pieces on clean trains, all these crazy outdoor cement skateparks, i love girls with the accent to. australia is also not run by george bush. i think america is going to shit. if dubyah gets re-elected i'm seriously going to consider leaving the country. or i guess if i stay here i'll go back to hawaii, which i don't really count as part of america. this place is headed down the tubes.

7. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

well mr vega, i am a citizen of both australia and canada. and while i cannot speak about canada because i have never lived there, australia is not all that it is cracked up to be. australia is not run by bush, but it is run by the prime minister, john howard. a lying bastard completely void of charisma.

8. $360

$360 Elite Member

yay canada!

[​IMG]

9. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

10. blame

blame Guest

Really not as easy as people make it out to be.

11. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

Are falling and flying the same thing?

12. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

The only thing I'm getting out of your post is you coming off as particularly RACIST! I'm rather confused as to the reason of this thread, other than for you to rant against whoever wrote the article and also to display and beat your patriotical wang on the internet.

And just to let you know, in Singapore (I lived there for two years, and its one of the mentioned 'Land of Opportunities' in the article) the tap water is much cleaner than any US city (because in my experience, most people dont drink tap water in any US city, they stick to either some sort of cleansing system like Brita, or bottled water, while tap water in Singapore is widely drunk, and it is considered safe)... Tokyo and Singapore in my experience run a lot smoother and faster than American systems (in terms of public transport, electronic service, ie, computers, phone, etc...) not to mention Singapore is MUCH cheaper lifestyle wise for apartments/housing/food/whatever. They also have a cheap government sponsored low cost housing system(akin to 'the projects' of the United States) called HDB's, except they are well maintained and continue in a low crime rate of living unlike the projects of America like in parts of NYC and Philly, where crime is rampant and governmental money aid (thanks BUSH!) has been ousted. They also have a very good public school system, and Singaporean students are on the top of the list score-wise...

I'm just adding contrast to your second-rate opinion of certain countries that you really don't know much about, considering you live in the USA. I didn't really see the point of the article, but I think that there are many other countries with more opportunity than the USA (especially since USA is in the worse economic debt in history, and has more prisoners and handgun owners than any other country in the world) including Singapore, Canada, and Australia.

13. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

Damnit my punctuation and grammer is awful.. Too lazy to fix it..

14. JUDONO?

JUDONO? Senior Member

Fuck that! Im moving to Canada. Think about it, smoke pot, drink canadian beer and root for the Expos. Well 2 out of 3 aint bad eh?

15. Tribal_Man

Tribal_Man New Jack

lets face it canada is awsome, we're about to legalize pot, we got mountains for snowboarding, a lot of trains even ones from california run thru my home town, plus onstead of gunshops on every corner where people about to go psycho and murder their boss we have Tim Hortons on every corner, where they can plot to kill their boss and get away with it :scowl: