Nobu

ShitFuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thats been my response with alot of 'great' restaurants too, tearz. Maybe my palate isn't sophiticated enough to appreciate what they're doing, I don't know, but it seems everytime someone recommends a restaurant and I go there, i'm left with the 'it was alright' syndrome.

But then again, I've also had some great meals when I've been to places that were well known.

Maybe its just a case of remembering the downside. :shrug:

Viva la cuisine!

true... really when you get to that top 25% of restaurants, the quality of the food really isn't the issue... it's service, decor, location, exclusivity, etc... if you live in a place where you don't have a lot of options, expensive is often the way to go. but in a place like nyc, for example, there are tons of restaurants in the mid-upper eschelon in quality that you don't have to go big unless you are trying to impress.

Originally posted by TEARZ

true... really when you get to that top 25% of restaurants, the quality of the food really isn't the issue... it's service, decor, location, exclusivity, etc... if you live in a place where you don't have a lot of options, expensive is often the way to go. but in a place like nyc, for example, there are tons of restaurants in the mid-upper eschelon in quality that you don't have to go big unless you are trying to impress.

Right, I'm certainly not in a hotspot of cuisine. A place like Nobu would be there just for impressions sake, and since I've dealt with alot of the product that restaurants deal with, but on a wholesale basis, I can understand the difference in pricing between a place like Nobu and a place that is as good but not as well known. There is a difference between high quality and the very best you can get.

Chef Nobuyuki Matsuhisa (owner) must have certain demands which will dictate price, but I'm not sure the average patron will appreciate the difference in quality that his expertise will provide (don't forget this is what you are paying for also, the menu selections of one who is schooled in this particular expertise).

You know what though? That said, it still comes down to the overall experience I have in a restauant, including the feeling of not being ripped off, that makes me want to go back.

effyoo/ People still pay for the name, mang.

Archived