Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

No social media trial

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KILZ FILLZ, Oct 5, 2017.

1. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Barely scratches because you can tell a lot by people's language and how they use it, and most of that is readily observable info if you pay attention to it (remember way back when 12oz learned what a 'jawn' was?). Even if you can't tell by listening you can look a lot of that up. What is happening with people's info goes far, far deeper because the more points of data collected on you the more mathematical equations that can be done with that info to figure shit out about individual and group behaviors, taking us far off what most of us can or could figure out on our own. People are also being sculpted using their emotions as well as behaviors based off info obtained.

Of course, this info can be used for good, such as medical research that helps determine how different people are affected by diseases or their treatment. But unfortunately far more of your data goes toward getting you to do things that are not to your advantage or that you ordinarily might not do. Take an overly simplified example- the supermarket figures out that a lot of men who buy shaving cream also happen to buy cranberry juice, so the supermarket puts the cranberry juice on the end of the shaving cream aisle not to make it more convenient for men, but because it increases the probability of selling those 2 items together instead of selling either one separately. And regardless of the reason that men happen to buy those 2 products together, simple fact is they will, and simple fact is that some men will go to that aisle looking just for shaving cream, and some will leave with both products even though that was not their intention. BTW, if you're reading this thinking that's bullshit, I ask you to look at how many people you know with that little plastic supermarket tag on their key rings, the one they scan at every purchase for electronic coupons- what do you think that's for? They say it saves paper coupons, but then why doesn't the store simply put the item on sale? Why do you have to sign up to receive coupons that in all prior history were just there, available to all? Data collection. I mean how else is the store going to know that men who buy product A are also buying totally unrelated product B? It's not enough for stores to say we sell a shit ton of tomato sauce, stock more. They want to know who bought that sauce so they can market more to them, and they want to know what they bought with the sauce to market that to them too.

There are a lot of psychological properties at play here... too much to discuss at once. If you ever walked through the whole Ikea store you got played. If you ever went to a store like Ikea or anywhere else with the set intention to get something and leave, and you leave with more than what you set out for, you probably got played. Your emotional reactions are also used to sell you shit, your behavioral reactions are used against you if you don't understand them... that's part of what that Facebook story above is about. People have become blindly trained to their phones like Pavlov training a dog. They've taken man's need for social connection and exploited it, made people believe they need to be a part of their artificially created social world, very, very sad. When people talk about wanting to quit social media I ask that you examine what is it providing you that e-mail doesn't? With social media it seems like people want to collect their shit in one spot, show it off, compare. But, they also are attracted to likes, comments, views..., receiving a message that someone liked/commented/viewed you... basic psychology, like getting someone to play the slot machine again and again, or getting a pigeon to peck a bar.

I hope people will continue to discuss and explore these concepts, important shit. You can also get a good beginning understanding off any intro to social psychology type book.
    MwyWpT.gif

2. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I tried this and it guessed that I was from Wichita, KS, Springfield, or Lexington. Way off :p. I answered truthfully on all of them, I guess they can't tell I'm a redneck who's lived in Texas my whole life.