Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

No social media trial

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KILZ FILLZ, Oct 5, 2017.

1. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

I'm still happy with my decision to never join Facebook.

2. theprotester

3. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Check this shit out from recent news.... pretty cringey if you ask me:

4. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

This is the truth... Its mind blowing how quickly they can connect dots based off the most random and asinine bit of info.

Here is a sample that barely scratches the surface:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

I took this quiz, which is a very simple questionnaire about what words you use to describe random, every day type words. They 100% exactly nailed not only what state I grew up in, but got it down to the actual county. Keep in mind this is some dumb quiz on the NY Times site used for shits and giggles and imagine what sort of tools and algorithms employed by surveillance and government agencies. Honestly it blew my mind how specific they pin pointed where I'm from using harmless questions that never raised a flag for me (and I'm fairly weary and aware when it comes to this type of thing). Now imagine how easy it is to build a bot that crawls the internet looking for comments, let alone all the detail found on Social Media and think about how effortlessly they can build a profile of you with the type of shit they use, when the NY Times can pinpoint where you're from using a simple questionnaire of harmless and not at all intrusive questions.

And yeah, I keep talking about giving up on social as well. Though I do feel it'll further distance me from people (already geographically isolated for the most part) and also how I can consider doing this, when I feel its also a part of my professional life / job.

No putting that genie back in the bottle, but I do believe we'd be better off as a society if it never existed.

Fist 666 and Decyferon like this.
  5. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Oh yeah, I have all the social platforms myself and for 12oz, though I havent used FB in years and hardly ever used Twitter at all. Used to be the fucking man on Friendster though with my unreasonably deep buddy list and then got bummed when everyone flocked to MySpace (crazy how most people on social arent even old enough to remember MySpace). Main platform has been Instagram.

Ironically I used to hate when people posted what they ate. Seemed so retarded and self centered. Now with all the political rants and stupid memes, I wish people would go back to posting what they ate.

6. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

This is freakin crazy!

7. theprotester

Prosciutto wrapped berf fillet

IMG-20171115-WA0067.jpeg

Fist 666 likes this.
  8. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

I posted in another thread about Cambridge Analytica. They are the market leaders at the moment in terms of collecting disparate data and bringing it together to create psychological profile - they boast that they have approximately 5000 data points for each American. They worked for Cruz until he lost in the primaries and then switched to Trump. Have a read, they are the leading edge of this game right now, aside from what is done inside NSA, GCHQ, etc.

9. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Only social media worth using is instagram less fuckwits commenting on shit they have no idea about.
    I'm firmly of the belief that social media is just a bullshit echo chamber.
    I have Facebook but rarely ever use it.

10. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Cambridge anyalytica are shady as hell

11. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

Does an internet forum with green tic tacs and red tampons count as social media?

12. Hua Guofang

Absolutely it does.

Your IP address is all over it as well.

13. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Not sure if you're responding to me or not, but in regards to that online quiz... the area is quoted me as being from was a place I moved from in the late 1990s when the internet was fairly young and most people had no idea what an IP was, let alone were collecting and leveraging IPs.

14. Hua Guofang

15. morton

morton Elite Member