Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

No social media trial

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KILZ FILLZ, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Yep, up to speed with it all.

There are very clear and simple strategies to protect yourself from manipulation.

2. sewing circle

sewing circle New Jack

I had a myspace account back in the day. But I never made a facebook, twitter, instabrag, pintrest or tumblr account, and I also don't have a cellphone.

3. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

This guy Oontzing at the local library

CALIgula likes this.
  4. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

5. enteruncreativename

enteruncreativename Member

After reading this thread I setup a new Facebook and I did this because I'm giving it a trial to see if there's any uses for it or not...

6. theprotester

7. theprotester

Just FYI the official science is that Facebook makes you sad.

8. Hua Guofang

Use it with a light touch to keep track of your friends and maybe a few interest groups (be sparing with this). Don't post, don't share, don't like, don't poke, don't pass on and don't use it as a news source and the average person won't experience any overly negative impacts.

If you do want to post, share, like, etc. make sure you do all those things with a balance of stuff that can identify your personality type with things that are very un-you. Going off the grid altogether is super-difficult and the successful effort will likely dominate your existance. So you can't hide. It's about what you share and how easily you can be read and influenced. The more you share of your true self the more vulnerable you are to being influenced.

9. theprotester

My opinions don't have to be influenced for me to get upset though

10. Hua Guofang

11. theprotester

12. enteruncreativename

enteruncreativename Member

The plan is to keep in touch with old friends who have moved along with their lives. But I don't share and or post too much on it because I for the most part have very different ideas then the mainstream public. Now I know from past experiences that news on social media is trash but thanks for restating that. I'm not all that concerned about "the man" or anyone else to identify me because I don't share anything that I wouldn't mind them seeing.

In general I agree and that's why I have stopped using it in the past. But for now I want to have it just to see if it makes me feel differently in anyway. I had been on the fence for long enough to setting up a new account and this thread was just the tipping point to my everlasting internal debate.

13. theprotester

Fucking strange when people are streaming live FB or insta videos and just tell you that you're live and how many people are watching.

I'm getting raped almost daily.

14. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

I 100% agree that the dopamine hit from getting a like or comment on social media is short lived and highly addictive. If you look at it in terms of a form of drug addiction it's no wonder so many people are unable to peel away. I took the "i don't care what other people are doing" attitude some years ago and my life has been simpler and happier since. I still keep in touch with the people that matter to me the most.

More power to whoever can bring themselves to quit. I'll tell you it feels good to look around a restaurant that I didn't bring my phone into (leave it in the car) and see all the people not paying attention to the person they're at the place with.... or they're scrolling through pictures and holding their phone up to the other person's face like "look at this, wait wait, look at this one..... oooh you gotta see this one..." Of course there's a "to each their own" element at play here too but I'm glad I'm not wrapped up in something so unproductive like that anymore and I'm always happy to hear other people saying that they don't use social media. That's, actually, one of the most attractive things I can hear a girl say these days is that she doesn't have a face book. That's like an instant angry blue veined diamond cutter right there.

One Man Banned and CALIgula like this.
  15. CALIgula

CALIgula Moderator Crew

Agree with D_habz