Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

No social media trial

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KILZ FILLZ, Oct 5, 2017.

1. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

For Sept I deleted Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

I kept reddit installed. Seems more like a forum than social media? It's anonymous for the most part. All the other apps I know people IRL who I interact with.

The only one I missed was Instagram and that was only because when I took a picture of some thing I wanted to have a venue to share it. I flooded my group texts with pics I would normally post on IG.

Reinstalled apps this Monday.
    Didn't feel like anything was added to my life.
    Five days into the month and I deleted them again.

Kept FB alive so the Gf can tag me in pics and family can see what's going on. Will probably install Instagram when I have a good photo dump waiting, post photo dump, and uninstall again.

I found I filled my breaks at work reading again. And my time at home in front of TV more. Will try to correct that and leave the house.

2. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Facebook, instagram. A Jedi craves not these things.

LUGR likes this.
  3. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

Black Twitter is entertaining as hell. But I'm white so, lol.

For anyone reading this : the Fenix Twitter client and Fenix Facebook clients are much better than the real deal. Give em a go.

4. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

I pretty much never signed up for or used social media, and this is one thing I never got- what's wrong with sending a group e-mail to your people? Can be done about as quickly as posting to somewhere, so only thing I can figure is that people like having their shit out there for anyone to see/follow or that getting likes and shit is just that important for some.

5. CALIgula

CALIgula Moderator Crew

i deleted facebook last week.
    i was drained from reading all the political posts and shit talking.

never made a twitter or instagram.

but since deleting facebook, ive been spending more time reading as well.
    still should try to get out more and enjoy nature....but my gf is still on instagram & facebook and shes mad distracted and always on her phone...im sure i was the same way when i had it.

6. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

I've never had Facebook

7. theprotester

8. Hua Guofang

FB is probably the most useful social media tool as it's based on connections rather than transmissions. It's about how you use it as to how it can work for or against your interests.

Twitter and instagram can be useful as well, as long as you don't post anything but use it to monitor others (news feeds, events, work, etc.).

Just don't post, like, nudge, thumbs up or whatever as all you're doing is building some one else a database on yourself.

9. theprotester

Facebook is just a fucking data mine you're all slaves

Dirty_habiT and TPWF2021 like this.
  10. Hua Guofang

Pretty superficial approach. Again, it depends how it's used as to what it does.

Put it this way, if you don't post or like stuff all it can do is note who you know, which can be mapped by other means should folks wish to know. Added to this is your ability to manage and confuse the data you provide.

theprotester likes this.
  11. theprotester

Are you calling my throw away nihilist one liner superficial?

Ruff mate.

12. theprotester

Also I would argue that while you might put conditions on what you consider participating in it, you're still participating in it.

13. Hua Guofang

Capt serious is fucking serious, mate.

Nothing wrong with participating if risk is minimized.

theprotester likes this.
  14. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

But there's the problem with these things- you might be able to minimize risk, but you can't eliminate it. Once you put out any type of info you can't take that back, and all that info gets used, mainly in ways you would not want it to be used. Part of the danger in doing this is that a lot of people believe hey, what can they take from me or use against me if I limit my info? Trouble is, that info is used for algorithms that comes up with shit about human behavior that we would never think of or even consider, and that is then used to influence you. There are marketers out there who have written about some of the industry tricks, and they have written that with full awareness of all of the tricks of the trade, you get bombarded with so much that even they find themselves getting taken in by their own techniques at least some of the time!

IDK, was commenting to a friend the other day that with no social media accounts I feel like I have missed a lot and at the same time, nothing at all.

15. theprotester

I get fucking spooked man I have conversations with people at fucking dinner, then what we've talked about will be like a suggested item or similar on my phone.