Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

no smoking in bars/clubs/restaurants

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ubejinxed, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ubejinxed

ubejinxed Veteran Member

"Smoking ban promises healthier nightlife

On May 5, 2003, the city of Boston will join the ranks of cities across the nation that have banned smoking in all 2,263 of its bars, nightclubs and restaurants. As has been the case in other cities, not all Bostonians are happy about the change. Some say the smoking ban will reduce business for bar and restaurant owners affected by its implementation. Others complain that the ban restricts freedom to smoke in a social setting, such as a bar. Proponents of the ban maintain that it is a healthy, necessary improvement for bar and restaurant workers who are currently breathing harmful, second-hand smoke on a routine basis.

California was among the first places to ban smoking. A December 20, 1998 CNN.com article titled "Study: Bartenders' health better after California smoking ban" reported the results of a study of 53 bartenders conducted by the University of California-San Francisco that began just after the state established its total ban. Before the ban, the study claimed, 75 percent of its participants suffered from lung ailments. The article went on to cite that, after the law came into effect, negative symptoms of 60 percent of participants dropped away. Obviously, the ban improved bartenders' health. "

i'm very happy about this new ban. i really enjoyed the smoke free environment when i lived in boulder. and i'm sick of people waving cigarettes around and putting them out on me as i walk past. or coming home stinking.

my friend works in a bar though, and sees many people who just chill and smoke.

any opinions on this? smokers perspective?

2. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

3. fabled

fabled New Jack

I think that when you go to a club or bar you should be able to smoke....what are they going to ban next in bars? drinking? I think the whole thing is stupid and people should just go out and have a good time regardless

4. Rodney Trotter

Rodney Trotter Senior Member

I don't know, I'm an ex-smoker, but when I go to a bar or club I know what it's going to be like so let them smoke their tabs.

But yeah, when I go out to eat at a restaurant I'd prefer it if people didn't smoke.

What I hate is when I go to work on the train in the morning, and the moment everyone gets off all the smokers light up so your forced to make your way out the station in a cloud of stinking smoke.

I can't front though, I used to love having a cigarette with a drink, but I value the condition of my lungs more these days. I guess my liver and kidneys would appreciate it if I gave up the booze and the drugs, but that ain't going to happen.

5. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Smoking in public places is just generally disrespectful to those who do not smoke within the vicinity of the smoker. I don't smoke...so I don't want to inhale smoke. But logic doesn't seem to be the issue with everyone...logic gets thrown out of the window when image and money come into the situation.

"I am awesome because smoke is going inside of my body and then coming out...which overall does nothing good to me."

"My company is making tons of money off these people who like putting smoke in their body and letting it come back out...its great."

"We are the government. We make money off of things that harm humans. We are powered by popular and academically smart trashbags as opposed to intellectual entities with a firm grasp of logic and common sense."

6. mikromoneyvkotkbgw

mikromoneyvkotkbgw New Jack

7. fabled

fabled New Jack

Why are you so bitter Kr430n5_666?

8. Secret

Secret Elite Member

I'm all for it. Cigarrettes are fucking gross. I'm glad I live in California.

9. Grandola

Grandola Senior Member

what is stupid about all that bullshit is that 2nd hand smoke won't effect you in the least bit. you have to have been living around it your entire life for it to have any type of serious effect on you health. well, according to twenty/twenty.

god bless texas. you can smoke inside places if they have a 'smoking section.'

pussies... oh no! i can't stand the smell... bitch! go to a non smoking club. thats like me being a vegitarian straight edge pussy complaining about everyone else eating meat in a steak house...

" it effects me emotionally "

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

They tried it here a few years ago only to have it backfire.

Currently in my City places either get a 'bar' or 'restaurant' rating.
    You can smoke in 'bars' but not in 'restaurants'. Here's the catch:
    You have to be 19 to be in one of these 'bars'. So a lot of restaurants
    had to decide between being able to have family dinners or a smoking
    section. Obviously the big chain restaurants went non-smoking, but a
    bunch of the smaller ones went bust becasue the by-law split their
    day / night clients. You can only cater to one of them now.

I'll be happy when I quit again.

11. Secret

Secret Elite Member

The vegans and meat eaters vs smokers and non smokers was not a very good comparison.

Unlike cigarrette smoke that you can smell, being in the same room with meat eaters don't affect vegans in any way. Vegans may think eating meat is gross, but nobody is forcing them to taste it.

12. yoink

yoink Elite Member

i dont think it will every really fly in a bar club situation, personally im for it, but i dont think it would work im not goin to bitch and moan about it, when i go out i just expect to be in a smoke ridden atmosphere, the only thing i hate besides that its pretty disgusting is having to wash all my fucking clothes cause of the smell attachment.

i recently went to a bar (two non smokers and five smokers) it was smoke free, you had to go outside, the smokers bitched cause well there lazy...but it actually went smoothly, the ten step walk to the door to light up really wasnt as bad as they dreaded and i was completely enjoying not being in a cloud of smoke.

13. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

I don't really smoke, but I have issues with anyone telling me what I can or can't do.

14. I'm for it, cause I can't stand cigarettes, but it sucks that I won't be able to enjoy an occasional cigar, which I love. I usually withhold from smoking at bars cause I'm very self-conscious of all the smoke bothering others, but if the place has an open deck, it's on.

15. Oprah Oner

Oprah Oner Junior Member

i think this is excellent, i do not go to bars or clubs...but i still think it is a wise move. it probably wont work due to hookerfaces though. i don't get cigarettes anyway, they are one of the most ridiculous things ever created. i am not sure why someone would constantly pay to inhale cancer in stick form and become addicted, so then they're awesome cool and can things like "i need a fucking cigarette!" or "ahhhhh shiet let me bum a cig bro! yea spring break! show me your boobs!" people dont think much anymore, do they?