Nike "Simulated Graffit" Ads

sarifs&clips

Just thought some of you cats might find this interesting...

Associated Press

A series of Nike ads in Singapore designed to resemble graffiti have stirred emotions in the Asian nation known for its obsession with cleanliness and civic order.

The small, page-size posters featuring anime-style images of NBA star LeBron James were pasted helter skelter over the ad panels of 700 bus stops, shocking commuters who are used to the ultratidy shelters.

At least 50 commuters have called or written to complain, said officials at Clear Channel, which owns the advertising rights to the bus shelters.

"The idea is to do something naughty like wild-postings to disrupt the neat environment of Singapore and stay in line with the street-feel of this LeBron James basketball campaign," Nike spokeswoman Ann Kositchotitana said in a statement.

Public spaces are immaculate in Singapore, which once banned chewing gum and still levies fines against people who spit in public or forget to flush common toilets. Vandalism is especially taboo in the island republic, where American teenager Michael Fay was flogged with a cane after spray-painting cars in 1994.

Clear Channel said Nike took a calculated risk in its effort to create a buzz among Singapore's basketball-crazy youth.

"It was a deliberate act, meant to give viewers the impression that some street punk had hijacked somebody else's ad campaign. It looks kind of cheeky and kind of naughty -- and it got noticed," said Henry Goh, Clear Channel's sales director in Singapore.

Nike's "Chamber of Fear" campaign in Singapore starring James includes TV, print and outdoor ads, all of which pay homage to various Asian film styles including the 1970s Hong Kong kung-fu movies and Japanese anime.

While some officials and adults took offense at the simulated graffiti, the campaign seemed to touch a chord with young people, many of whom rushed to grab the posters off the bus shelters as souvenirs. "It's super cool," 14-year-old Gilchrist Goh told The Straits Times newspaper.

The sneaker maker is ramping up its effort to win over Asian basketball fans at a time when over half the hits on NBA.Com, the league's main Internet site, are coming from outside the United States. Two weeks ago, Nike signed a $100 million marketing agreement with the NBA in an effort to increase the sport's popularity overseas, especially in Asia.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Singapore is a really fucking awesome place for food and shopping

But it's about as hip-hop as Mozart

Seriously though, Singapore is so uptight that I feel sorry for people who live there. It's nothing but a rat-race from the second you're born, so people there don't have time for stuff like living, plus, although it loves to claim it's a democratic country, the place is oppressed and is basically run under a benevolent dictatorship. How does that relate to this? Well, it doesn't, but still, Nike and Clear Channel are fucking retarded. They'd probably get just as much outrage if they put the posters tilted a little to the left

I tagged singapore.

and the truth about it being super clean is BULLSHIT!

Singapore is a total racial devide between the Chinese,

the Islamics and the Hindus. If you go into the non-chinese

areas, it's just like most every other major asain city.

I found it really disturbing that the Chinese could live rich

(read that as: like the white people) but the other religions

we kept in their areas. Granted they just lived life like normal.

and McDonalds makes a thing called the McPepper there that is a-maze-ing.

Originally posted by roadpig@Nov 26 2004, 04:04 PM

thats the guy.

i just asked my homie

if dudes name is hunter.

it is.

small world.

do i know you?

i'd like to see the ad...oh and,

i still say nike should get cained.

haha

:hatred:

Haha, you probably don't know me, but I have a couple friends in the biz and I remember meeting Hunter a few times.