Nike id

2 blaazed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 weeks later...

255design-lab-1.jpg

Since March 31st -- the same day a redesigned nikeid.com launched -- a polite yet intimidating bouncer has taken up residence at the unassuming storefront of 255 Elizabeth Street in Manhattan. His job is simple. He patiently explains to all who inquire that access to the space behind the frosted glass door is by appointment only, and those appointments can only be made with an invitation. It's rumored that the Nike iD Design Lab will open to the public through a lottery system sometime soon. But, with no more than three customers allowed in the space at one time and sessions limited to hour-long appointments, Nike has ensured that the experience will remain über-exclusive and highly memorable.

I was fortunate enough to be invited in a couple weeks ago...

It was a perfect Spring day and I was excited about the visit, so I wore my Aloha Dunks-- the tropical green, chocolate brown and basket woven side panels seemed the right fit for the day. On my way to an earlier appointment down the block from 255, I got a 'nice kicks' nod from the the guard. Upon my return 30 minutes later, I explained I had an appointment and he immediately let me in. I was so struck by the space itself that when the General Manager offered a beverage, I took an extra moment to respond... 'water.'

255Mirror-Detail.jpg

From the coaster underneath my glass to the furniture and décor, everything had some form of beautiful ornamental branding created by Nike designers. A full length mirror at one end of the room has a baroque style black frame that upon closer inspection

reveals intertwined sneakers and sporting paraphernalia. Custom fuzzy wallpaper covers the walls in a patchwork of Nike branded luxury patterns.

255Wallpaper-with-Waffle.jpg

The modern architecture, by LED Design's Simon Eisenger and Christian Lynch in tandem with Nike designers, features lots of built-in cabinetry. The most impressive is a wall of doors that hides blank grey 'clones' of each sneaker model in every size so you can find the right fit without the distraction of someone else's colorway. Along the opposite wall three built-in booths are each like a mini living room centered around individual computers where you actually assemble a shoe. Shelves hold reference books, color swatches, and material samples To provide information and inspiration as you make your shoe.

The nuts and bolts process of designing your own shoe is really no different from the experience on nikeid.com. Colors and materials not on the site, however, are available solely at 255. The Air 180, Rift, Presto, Free and FC, have a 14-color palette to choose from and there are suede and Nubuck options on several of the models, all full-grain, high-end Inca leather. Currently, only one model is exclusive to the shop, the Waffle Trainer II.

Clearly the focus of the Design Lab is on the experience of customization. The fact that three weeks after visiting a pair of shoes arrives in the mail is almost like a delayed party favor. Wearing them is as much an opportunity to express your individuality, as it is a chance to tell the story of being in the Design Lab.

Just Do It Yourself

By HORACIO SILVA

Published: May 29, 2005

A store is born in New York about as often as a Broadway hopeful arrives at the Port Authority. These days, however, jaded consumers expect more boogie-woogie than the retail equivalent of a matinee for the blue-rinse set. Temporary guerrilla stores, traveling boutiques and hybrid emporiums, selling everything from Belgian fashion experimentalia to limited-edition Japanese toys, are just some of the novelties setting the stage for a serious denouement at the cash register.

So it should surprise exactly no one that the fad for members-only clubs now extends into the shopping arena. In the wake of exclusionary stores like Celux, the LVMH-owned retail club in Tokyo, Nike has opened the NIKE iD lab, a private design studio on Elizabeth Street complete with security guards to keep out the celebrity seekers and sneaker freakers who memorize bar codes and shrink-wrap their shoes for safekeeping.

But the new location, where the wallpaper, pillows, mirrors and even the coasters are customized with Nike arcana, is as much a monument to personalization as it is to exclusivity. Since the NIKE iD lab's low-key opening in late March, Nike has handpicked A-listers and influencers -- the designers Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler, the singer Joss Stone, the artist Cindy Sherman -- to create their own one-of-a-kind shoes by choosing from a selection of styles, materials and colors and, presumably, to proselytize the virtues of just doing it yourself.

The enduring appeal of customization suggests a democratization of design. And even though Nike insists that it is a performance-based and not a style-driven brand, its continued focus on allowing civilians to be a part of the design process -- the raison d'etre of the Elizabeth Street lab is to bolster the revamped nikeid.com Web site -- implies that consumers may also be increasingly tired of try-hard attempts to woo them with self-consciously hip design. The Nike X Zvezdochka, a high-tech sneaker that resembles a meshlike sock, may have been born in the laboratory, the result of an affair between the industrial designer Marc Newson and the Russian Space Institute, but it looks like a midlife-crisis shoe unsuitable for either the city or the sputnik. It is little wonder that more and more people want to have a hand in the labels to which they are attached.

According to John Jay, the executive creative director at Wieden & Kennedy, the advertising company that has long had the Nike account, consumers are savvy enough to play limbo with the markers of design elitism and democracy, mass-market and independent. ''The trend for customization is definitely about a growing indie spirit in a sea of mass,'' Jay says. ''But it doesn't have to be one versus the other. It's also about a new sense of originality, where one brand's innovation is enhanced by yet another source of ideas or editing, about cultural remixing and not being satisfied with only one source of originality.''

Over the past few weeks, regular folks have been able to enter an online lottery to gain access to the NIKE iD lab. But in keeping with the place's highbrow beginnings, we invited the artist Sarah Morris, the designer Narciso Rodriguez and the basketball player Vince Carter to create their own signature sneakers. Mark Smith, a designer at Nike, guided the three, who were limited by only their imagination and a list of verboten graphics and words -- a catalog of faux pas consisting mainly of expletives and, predictably, the word ''Adidas.''

''Most people get a little stage fright when put on the spot,'' Smith says, ''but usually they have a very clear idea of what they want. Comfort and performance have already been taken care of, and the tenets of good graphic design are pretty simple -- we basically encourage people to choose colors that work well in conjunction.''

Faced with a smorgasbord of options, however, our lab-within-a-lab turned out surprisingly low-impact shoes. Reinforcing why designers need not worry about losing their jobs anytime soon, Morris says, ''I just don't like having too many choices.''

thanks to http://www.hypebeast.com/archives/2005/05/...t_do.php#000407

By appointment only.

A sign up page will appear sometime early June 2005 on nikeid.com to register consumers into a lottery drawing for appointments at the NikeiD 255 Studio. Since the space is in boutique square-footage, this seems to be the best way to allow public access to the studio.

The Nike iD design has some of the same shoes as the Nikeid.com website but the choice of colors and options are increased.

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

thanks to http://freshnessmag.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just ordered these with some of my Amex rewards points that I cashed in for a $100 Nike gift card.

Basically copped em for free:

Nike.jpg

Nikes.jpg

I also noticed they won't let you use the word "CREW" on them.

Probably anti gang or some dumb shit.

I almost went with "666BURGH" on one side (or just "6 BURGH") and "STILLERS" on the other.

I like how they turned out this way though and still rept' hard with the colors.

I'll probably only rock them with a black and gold hat with some kind of rub it in your face 6 anyway,

still on the hunt for a dope fitted to match.

I also looked up techniques on how to customize shoes the right way,

and might just skip any text next time if these kicks arrive in proper condition.

You just take acetone (nail polish remover) and lightly scrub the outside clear coat off.

Get some specialty shoe leather/fabric paints and put whatever on then seal it back up.

Fuck putting graffiti style shit or any art on them though, at least for me.

I just want custom "how you get those" looking simple text or real simple custom graphics.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...