Nihilism.

Guest ToYs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

clever

Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. While few philosophers would claim to be nihilists, nihilism is most often associated with Friedrich Nietzsche who argued that its corrosive effects would eventually destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. In the 20th century, nihilistic themes--epistemological failure, value destruction, and cosmic purposelessness--have preoccupied artists, social critics, and philosophers. Mid-century, for example, the existentialists helped popularize tenets of nihilism in their attempts to blunt its destructive potential. By the end of the century, existential despair as a response to nihilism gave way to an attitude of indifference, often associated with antifoundationalism.

http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/n/nihilism.htm

Guest KING BLING

this might be a good thread if it was from two years ago. That said the Big Lebowski is never wrong in any thread.

I am watching TRUE ROMANCE...

Guest KING BLING

The montages used in this movie are dope. Its like every 20 minutes the juxtaposition of intense scenes with the innocent other doing regular, serene, things is a powerful example of intensity and anxious build up. This movie covers so many bases when it comes to movies its great. and the hotel fight scene is so dope...fucking lighters and hair spray

That's what Erich Fromm was saying that we have subjected all of our morals, family values, religions and everything to the bar of reason and we have discarded what we have deemed ridiculous. The problem is he said, we have not found anything to replace these values. Hey I think I'm becoming a nihilist. Dear god.

"In his study of meaninglessness, Donald Crosby writes that the source of modern nihilism paradoxically stems from a commitment to honest intellectual openness. "Once set in motion, the process of questioning could come to but one end, the erosion of conviction and certitude and collapse into despair" (The Specter of the Absurd, 1988). When sincere inquiry is extended to moral convictions and social consensus, it can prove deadly, Crosby continues, promoting forces that ultimately destroy civilizations."- this is from that website King Bling posted.

You can see the trends of the downward spiral. Why is it so hard for the analytical mind to understand that religion and morality is often highly subjective and so profound it can only possibly be understood in parables? It is based on faith, not fact.

Originally posted by villain

"In his study of meaninglessness, Donald Crosby writes that the source of modern nihilism paradoxically stems from a commitment to honest intellectual openness. "Once set in motion, the process of questioning could come to but one end, the erosion of conviction and certitude and collapse into despair" (The Specter of the Absurd, 1988). When sincere inquiry is extended to moral convictions and social consensus, it can prove deadly, Crosby continues, promoting forces that ultimately destroy civilizations."- this is from that website King Bling posted.

You can see the trends of the downward spiral. Why is it so hard for the analytical mind to understand that religion and morality is often highly subjective and so profound it can only possibly be understood in parables? It is based on faith, not fact.

This argument reeks of bullshit. We can't start questioning things....that might lead to us realizing our beliefs are false, or unprovable. Can't have that, we'd just descend into chaos.

And I can't stand the faith argument. If you have faith, great. I'm not trying to disuade you from believing what you will, but I get tired of this attitude of superiority. Like those of us who lean towards the analytical, or are just plain skeptics, are simply unable to fathom the profound wisdom of whatever religion the person happens to belong to.

I believe I'm leading a somewhat "meaningless" existance. In that I am not trying to achieve some spiritual goal, or purpose. But I'm not a nihilist per say. My morals are based in common sense, and greater good. I'm not a "bad" person. I just live for my own amusement, until I eventually decay and die. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I think this bertrand russell quote is relevant:

Moreover, if you accept the ordinary laws of science, you have to suppose that human life and life in general on this planet will die out in due course: it is a stage in the decay of the solar system; at a certain stage of decay you get the sort of conditions of temperature and so forth which are suitable to protoplasm, and there is life for a short time in the life of the whole solar system. You see in the moon the sort of thing to which the earth is tending -- something dead, cold, and lifeless.

I am told that that sort of view is depressing, and people will sometimes tell you that if they believed that, they would not be able to go on living. Do not believe it; it is all nonsense. Nobody really worries about much about what is going to happen millions of years hence. Even if they think they are worrying much about that, they are really deceiving themselves. They are worried about something much more mundane, or it may merely be a bad digestion; but nobody is really seriously rendered unhappy by the thought of something that is going to happen to this world millions and millions of years hence. Therefore, although it is of course a gloomy view to suppose that life will die out -- at least I suppose we may say so, although sometimes when I contemplate the things that people do with their lives I think it is almost a consolation -- it is not such as to render life miserable. It merely makes you turn your attention to other things.

I don't think I understand what you're saying ese. You just repeated what I posted in different words. What is bullshit about that? If it's bullshit why are you repeating it? Maybe you are not yet old enough to have personally recognized our descent into decadance.

I also see that you took personal offense to my comment on empiricism. I was speaking generally and venomously. This is not nessecarily directed at you. I'm not some kind of bible thumping holier than thou who is going to damn you to hell.

If you believe in more humanistic philosophies, that is fine. We are not all so different as we think. In fact I am discoving the underlying thread that ties us all together. But I don't know if it will save me. :o

Archived