Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Night Terrors

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Jackson, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member

OK, this happens to me occasionaly, say every fortnight and its scary as fuckkkkkk.

From the experts:
    Night Terrors Symptoms: Sudden awakening from sleep, persistent fear or terror that occurs at night, screaming, sweating, confusion, rapid heart rate, inability to explain what happened, usually no recall of "bad dreams" or nightmares, may have a vague sense of frightening images. Many people see spiders, snakes, animals or people in the room, are unable to fully awake, difficult to comfort, with no memory of the event on awakening the next day.

Night Terror or Nightmare?:Nightmares occur during the dream phase of sleep known as REM sleep. Most people enter the REM stage of sleep sometime after 90 minutes of sleep. The circumstances of the nightmare will frighten the sleeper, who usually will wake up with a vivid memory of a long movie-like dream. Night terrors, on the other hand, occur during a phase of deep non-REM sleep usually within an hour after the subject goes to bed. This is also known as stage 4. During a night terror, which may last anywhere from five to twenty minutes, the person is still asleep, although the sleepers eyes may be open. When the subject does wake up, they usually have no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear. This, however, is not always the case. Quite a few people interviewed can remember portions of the night terror, and some remember the whole thing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also get these shits, these are fucked up too. :(
    I get the worst HSPs and I always think i have a broken neck and I feel really pissed off/ angry.

----------------------
    Sleep Paralysis

____The characteristics of sleep paralysis are as follows:

* Inability to move or speak for 30 seconds - 3 minutes
    * Speech is difficult or almost impossible
    * Happens before falling asleep or just after waking up
    * Can be hereditary
    * Can be brought on by stress

____Sleep paralysis is the experience of waking up (usually form a dream) and feeling paralyzed, except for being able to breathe and move the eyes. Hypnogogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis may occur together. These conditions are common in people with narcolepsy but can also effect others, particularly people who are sleep-deprived. Although a pretty terrifying event, these events are not physically harmful. There are two major types of sleep paralysis: common (typical) also known as CSP and hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis known as HSP.

Differences between CSP and HSP.

* CSP is common and universal, HSP is rare and seems to be geographically episodic.
    * CSP is only unnerving for the sleeper but HSP is accompanied by a nightmare like hallucination.
    * CSP is of relatively short duration where HSP can last as long as seven or eight minutes.

One of the most important differences between Night Terrors and CSP is that CSPs occurs in Stage one of sleep and Night Terrors occur in stage four.

____Different cultures throughout time have interpreted HSPs as different spirits or events.

* Ancestral ghosts - Southeast Asians
    * Hag - Irish and Scottish
    * Cats - Chinese
    * Spectral foxes - Japanese
    * Djinn - Arabs
    * Guilt - Romans and the Egyptians
    * Witchcraft - Mexicans
    * Vampires - Europeans
    * Demons - Medieval Europe

_HSPs are usually a vision of a small creature that sits on the victims chest. The creature then either compresses the chest or attempts to strangulate the victim. Almost all attacks have been reported by people sleeping on their backs.

http://www.nightterrors.org/
    -------------

Anyway, just thought I would see if any of you got these...

:shook: :jpotato:

2. BOZACK

BOZACK Member

scary...every night i sleep like a baby on morphine

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

sometimes i suddenly awake right after i fall asleep, it fells like i tripped and fell, or something surprised me.

4. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube Veteran Member

BINGO! Good find. I was wondering what it was called.

This, verbatim, happened to me just 2 weeks
    ago. I remember being able to see in my room
    but I couldn't wake up.. felt paralyzed. Then I
    eventually kicked my leg and jolted myself 'awake'...

Exactly like it says... I vaguely remember
    being able to see around my room and then
    all ofa sudden being awake but very freaked out.

Fucking Tylenol PM.

5. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Member

I learned about this shit in school many years ago. Some guy apparently had one of these, broke into an elderly couples house, stabbed them to death, and then ran off into the woods where he later woke up. Crazy shit.

6. «DÉFL£PPÄRD»

«DÉFL£PPÄRD» Member

or you got shot.. or hit by a falling plane..
    ::crosses fingers::

7. ares

ares Member

Yeah, I get that too.

8. cockfacedass

cockfacedass Junior Member

AHHHH, COBRAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

_HSPs are usually a vision of a small creature that sits on the victims chest. The creature then either compresses the chest or attempts to strangulate the victim. Almost all attacks have been reported by people sleeping on their backs.
    --------------------
    i have experienced this. very scary indeed: it felt as if i was awake but i couldn't move any part of my body or get up; i can only move my eyes...and then after a minute or two...it goes away.

my mom used to tell me there were evil spirits lurking in my room due to all the posters i had of bands/art/stuff i liked that was supposedly 'evil'. that's why i had 'evil little creatures' trying to suffocate me. i believed her at the time.

10. I come across sleep paralysis episodes often. But due to my heightened Ninja Powers of Sleep, I can usually turn them to my advantage and do cool stuff like OBE's.

11. mr.yuck

mr.yuck Veteran Member

Haha. Thats what i was looking for.:lol:

12. Ban This

Ban This Banned

i know that night terrors are different than nightmares, and i dont get them.
    but even when i have nightmares, i can usually control them. its weird.:dazed:

13. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Long ago the thought that sufferers of night terrors were possessed by evil spirits. They would usually call in priests to cleanse them etc...

I went to this hippie meditation seminar and learned how to cause obe's I was doing it a lot but eventually forgot how...

14. HOVIE

HOVIE Member

shit, you beat me to it:bawling:

15. micro

micro Member

same here...i get embarrassed if it happens when other people are around cuz i think everyone can notice it but the dont