Night Terrors

Jackson

OK, this happens to me occasionaly, say every fortnight and its scary as fuckkkkkk.

From the experts:

Night Terrors Symptoms: Sudden awakening from sleep, persistent fear or terror that occurs at night, screaming, sweating, confusion, rapid heart rate, inability to explain what happened, usually no recall of "bad dreams" or nightmares, may have a vague sense of frightening images. Many people see spiders, snakes, animals or people in the room, are unable to fully awake, difficult to comfort, with no memory of the event on awakening the next day.

Night Terror or Nightmare?:Nightmares occur during the dream phase of sleep known as REM sleep. Most people enter the REM stage of sleep sometime after 90 minutes of sleep. The circumstances of the nightmare will frighten the sleeper, who usually will wake up with a vivid memory of a long movie-like dream. Night terrors, on the other hand, occur during a phase of deep non-REM sleep usually within an hour after the subject goes to bed. This is also known as stage 4. During a night terror, which may last anywhere from five to twenty minutes, the person is still asleep, although the sleepers eyes may be open. When the subject does wake up, they usually have no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear. This, however, is not always the case. Quite a few people interviewed can remember portions of the night terror, and some remember the whole thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also get these shits, these are fucked up too. :(

I get the worst HSPs and I always think i have a broken neck and I feel really pissed off/ angry.

----------------------

Sleep Paralysis

____The characteristics of sleep paralysis are as follows:

* Inability to move or speak for 30 seconds - 3 minutes

* Speech is difficult or almost impossible

* Happens before falling asleep or just after waking up

* Can be hereditary

* Can be brought on by stress

____Sleep paralysis is the experience of waking up (usually form a dream) and feeling paralyzed, except for being able to breathe and move the eyes. Hypnogogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis may occur together. These conditions are common in people with narcolepsy but can also effect others, particularly people who are sleep-deprived. Although a pretty terrifying event, these events are not physically harmful. There are two major types of sleep paralysis: common (typical) also known as CSP and hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis known as HSP.

Differences between CSP and HSP.

* CSP is common and universal, HSP is rare and seems to be geographically episodic.

* CSP is only unnerving for the sleeper but HSP is accompanied by a nightmare like hallucination.

* CSP is of relatively short duration where HSP can last as long as seven or eight minutes.

One of the most important differences between Night Terrors and CSP is that CSPs occurs in Stage one of sleep and Night Terrors occur in stage four.

____Different cultures throughout time have interpreted HSPs as different spirits or events.

* Ancestral ghosts - Southeast Asians

* Hag - Irish and Scottish

* Cats - Chinese

* Spectral foxes - Japanese

* Djinn - Arabs

* Guilt - Romans and the Egyptians

* Witchcraft - Mexicans

* Vampires - Europeans

* Demons - Medieval Europe

_HSPs are usually a vision of a small creature that sits on the victims chest. The creature then either compresses the chest or attempts to strangulate the victim. Almost all attacks have been reported by people sleeping on their backs.

http://www.nightterrors.org/

-------------

Anyway, just thought I would see if any of you got these...

:shook: :jpotato:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Jackson

During a night terror, which may last anywhere from five to twenty minutes, the person is still asleep, although the sleepers eyes may be open. When the subject does wake up, they usually have no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear.

BINGO! Good find. I was wondering what it was called.

This, verbatim, happened to me just 2 weeks

ago. I remember being able to see in my room

but I couldn't wake up.. felt paralyzed. Then I

eventually kicked my leg and jolted myself 'awake'...

Exactly like it says... I vaguely remember

being able to see around my room and then

all ofa sudden being awake but very freaked out.

Fucking Tylenol PM.

_HSPs are usually a vision of a small creature that sits on the victims chest. The creature then either compresses the chest or attempts to strangulate the victim. Almost all attacks have been reported by people sleeping on their backs.

--------------------

i have experienced this. very scary indeed: it felt as if i was awake but i couldn't move any part of my body or get up; i can only move my eyes...and then after a minute or two...it goes away.

my mom used to tell me there were evil spirits lurking in my room due to all the posters i had of bands/art/stuff i liked that was supposedly 'evil'. that's why i had 'evil little creatures' trying to suffocate me. i believed her at the time.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I come across sleep paralysis episodes often. But due to my heightened Ninja Powers of Sleep, I can usually turn them to my advantage and do cool stuff like OBE's.

Long ago the thought that sufferers of night terrors were possessed by evil spirits. They would usually call in priests to cleanse them etc...

I went to this hippie meditation seminar and learned how to cause obe's I was doing it a lot but eventually forgot how...

Originally posted by ARCEL

sometimes i suddenly awake right after i fall asleep, it fells like i tripped and fell, or something surprised me.

same here...i get embarrassed if it happens when other people are around cuz i think everyone can notice it but the dont

I usually get the falling dream, right when I'm half asleep about to go into a deep sleep.

I get dreams where I am running from people or I am trying to fight someone but my legs just wont move or my arms. It sucks,someone will be chasing me and I'm making the running motion, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I have this recurring dream of a giant with downs syndrome walking over my fence and staring through the window at me, and first I'm like talkign shit like "bitch get the fuck out of my window" and then I realize its a fucking giant and hes probably gonna eat me, so I hide, and he goes away...

Edit: Mammero I have a question for you. Last night I was dreaming and I couldn't turn on the lights so I figured out I was dreaming, so I'm like shit, I'm pretty sure I'm dreaming so I tried to put my hand through the wall, and I hit it hard, and it just shook the wall a little and hurt. If I know I'm dreaming why cant I punch through the wall?

Guest sneak

only thing which affects me and my sleep is how much i get. :o

less than 8 hours and i literally cannot function, which is really poor.

i don't think i've ever had night terrors, but i get really fucked up dreams all the time. i'm just glad i can't remember them. if i remembered one tenth of my dreams longer than three seconds after i woke up, i would be a fucking psychopath.

stress is usually a trigger for shitty dreams for me. i went to a psychologist (or maybe he was a psychiatrist, whatever) and i was talking to him about my dreams, and he told me that i should reduce the stres in my life. gee, thanks, that was worth my forty dollar co-pay, no shit i should reduce stress in my life, so should everybody. fucking quack.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I come across sleep paralysis episodes often. But due to my heightened Ninja Powers of Sleep, I can usually turn them to my advantage and do cool stuff like OBE's.

Hell yah this is the easiest time to jump into obe's or astral projection, its kind of scary at first but once you overcome it, it can be very rewarding

Originally posted by Easy E

anyone ever feel like there are falling, and falling, and then feel like they have slamed into there bed only to wake up and be scared as fuck? hapens to me atleast once a month, its terrable

I believe this falls in the same category as hypnogogic hallucinations... but actually... they have another name that is escaping me right now, I just woke up. Oh, wait, scratch that. What you're talking about is called "myoclonis" I believe.

I've done some research on Night Terrors before. The symptoms you described of being awake and the terror are more of sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucinations. Night Terrors are absolutely TERRIFYING to witness, although most of the time the person experiencing them doesn't remember them. I've seen research videos of mothers helplessly restraining their elementary school child who is screaming at the top of their lungs and flailing madly, who will collapse minutes later and have no recall the next morning. Sleep walking has gotten people acquitted of murder before...

Archived