NIGGER +feelings

metallix

I will try to be as accurate as possible describing the scenario which has just occurred:

In my Poetry Class, People were speaking on the podium today to an audience of 30 people composed of the students of the class. This is a college class with a college professor. Anyway one student reads a poem about Masks, and how people wear differen't masks to disguise themselves (social masks.) So at the end i ask the speaker this question:

Me: "How do you feel about wiggers?"

Her: "Whats a wigger"

Me: "A wigger is a white nigger"

Then my professor said "thats offensive offensive comments are not welcome" "you are welcome to leave now." So i left the classroom.

When I said the word "nigger" a few black people made noises as if they were offended. I am just wondering on other people's feelings regarding this and if my words were truely inappropriate. And if there is anything wrong with offensive speech.

Personally I feel that

A)My question was relevant in the context of social masks

B)The professor previously established that offensive speech was permissible.

C)I did not use the term towards a specific person, rather generalized question. Anyway..lets hear it :scowl:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i don't think a wigger is a white "nigger" by any means. a wigger would try to act/dress/talk how a majority of mainstream black teens/younger adults would do so. such is the case with white kids and FUBU, white kids and Jay-Z, white kids and a predominately "ghetto" accent. the word nigger means nothing. it is a hateful word meaning "black person who is bad because of their skin color". i think you could have better described a wigger as saying "a white kid trying to act like a stereotype of the opposite skin color". i think it's damn near impossible to try to be a "nigger".

i don't like the word, personally. it implies nothing but hate when coming from a white/asian/non-black person. it's evolved into a sort of communal friendship word in the black community. in oh, the 1930s, it would be common to hear one black male say to the other "come on nigger, wake up" as opposed to "come on 'dude' wake up, man" or something of that nature.

I think that was a loaded question and that you could learn a thing or two about tact.

You must have know tht the response wouldn't have been positive and

should have tailored your question to be relevent and more than just inflamitory.

yo man...everybody on this forum will problly hate on you for daring to speak the forbidden word,but who cares...a wigger is a white nigger...i am a firm beleiver that there is a difference between black people and niggers....let the hating begin...

Originally posted by Kilo7-

I think that was a loaded question and that you could learn a thing or two about tact.

should have tailored your question to be relevent and more than just inflamitory.

exactly.

when i was younger we would always use the word "wigger" and for some reason i didnt even put it together that it came from "nigger" (i am an idiot).

its just not a real pc thing to say, especially in a class. the speech that you described sounds like it had almost nothing to do with it, either.

show some respect, use common sense, and dont say shit just to get some shock value out of it. do you honestly think youd get some sort of intelligent discussion going after a question like that?

Guest imported_Tesseract

i dunno, if wigger is appropriate to use, so is nigger. Nigger may be a bad word, but its so used it shouldnt be a taboo anymore...i wouldnt call anyone nigger but i wouldnt say 'person of the opossite color' to disguise what i meant either. You used a term that wasnt directed at anyone particulary and above all you did it in a class that its all about useage of language in everyform as long as it carries the message. A wigger is a white nigger indeed, explains were the word comes from to.

Your teacher sucks ass, and the black people that get offended by the word nigger under the given circumstances are stupid.

On a sidenote, being a euro i wouldnt really know how 'nigger' translates in america, how bad it is to use...if i'm being ignorant please correct me..but the main popular export of the black american community in europe and the rest of the world is the 'nigga this/nigga that rap'....

"I think that was a loaded question and that you could learn a thing or two about tact.

should have tailored your question to be relevent and more than just inflamitory"

bingo.....

have fun getting jumped by basketball team dumbass........you deserve every lump........:D

wigger is like 12 year old talk. i just think it oversimplifies things a little too much..maybe you coulda asked why the hip hop culture has caught on to so many middle to upper class whites living in the burbs? or something like that...it might sound just as dumb but i just feel that it would speak to the entire classroom, then people would want to say how they feel and boom, you have a nice discussion going. what do i know though, i don't take any classes like that.

Originally posted by VAITOMANOCU

..maybe you coulda asked why the hip hop culture has caught on to so many middle to upper class whites living in the burbs? or something like that...

yes. My point exactly. That's the tactfull way of saying the same thing.

And remember... The question usually says more about the the person

asking than the person replying. There was this one girl in one of my clases

who would always ask questions that she already knew the answer.

Eventually the teacher said something like 'Quit trying to look smart'.

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

i don't like the word, personally. it implies nothing but hate when coming from a white/asian/non-black person.

come on please, that is bullshit. I have been called nigga or nigger at least 50 times a day by black people. I am white as can be. I dont even know how this started because, well, I'm not your wigger stereotype. I don't "act" like i'm black or "dress" like a black person or any of this types of shit.

But when i am with black people its almost as if i am black. Like everyone forgets im white. They'll start crackin jokes about white people and shit and when i start laughing they'll be like "SHUT UP NIGGA, you know you ain't white."

If one of them were to make a crack about my mom or girl or somethin and i raised up and said "Fuck you nigga." It wouldn't be a problem. I think that people are just way to oversensative about everything these days. just calm down. i've been called everything in the book that deals with white people but i dont run around crying racism and boo hoo i cant get a fair break because i have a long criminal record.

i dont understand what is happening to america these days. people need to grow up i guess. but at the same time the pendulum can only swing so far before it starts to come back.

METALLIX

I DONT THINK WHAT YOU SAID WAS WRONG IN ANY WAY. I understand that you meant white kids hiding behind blackstereotypes. I think that your professor is a little cowering bitch. Scared of real discussion but then again the way things go these days all it would take is one tight ass uncle tom to complain on him and he probably would have lost his job.

nigger, chink, gook, wop, wog, honkey, wagon burner, who fucking cares! really.

call me a stupid cracker ass cracka. ill just be like "yeah exactly".

why do people get so bent out of shape over name calling. its just words. harmless. besides, the word nigger isnt even bad anymore. id say porch monkey would be more of an insult.

go ahead call me a stupid cracker. see how much i e-care.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

nigger

n : ethnic slur; offensive name for Black person [syn: spade, coon, jigaboo, nigra]

nig·ger ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngr)

n. Offensive Slang

HMM. OK Kilo7 has a point with tact. However it is also a poetry class. It seems to me people got upset just by me saying the word NIGGER. I feel stupid now for saying it and ofcourse could have phrased the question differently. God forbid I say something which might possibly offend someone. I'll probably feel the ramifications of this later on, no doubt reflecting in my grades. Next time I'll just have to be more politically correct.

perpetuation of racist stereotypes through poor diction is weak and pathetic

there are more effective ways of initiating intelligent discourse than to present a loaded word to get a reaction out of people

of course people will be offended by the use of that word

if you are a part of the culture it degrades, i suppose that entitles you to use the word how you see fit, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree

if a person means ignorant asshole jerk fuckface, one can use any of those words

it isnt neccesary to resort to a racist term to demean someone, or to express one's views..

offending people is fine

demeaning an entire race through use of a word is a person's choice, however ignorant that may be

let's not forget it hasn't even been FIFTY YEARS since blacks were first awarded the right to own property in the u.s.

come the fuck on

racism is alive and well

don't be a part of it because your vocabulary is so limited

Guest imported_Tesseract

wow^That was a fine example of wording things so good, you leave no space for further dialogue...

Originally posted by !@#$%

perpetuation of racist stereotypes through poor diction is weak and pathetic

there are more effective ways of initiating intelligent discourse than to present a loaded word to get a reaction out of people

of course people will be offended by the use of that word

if you are a part of the culture it degrades, i suppose that entitles you to use the word how you see fit, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree

if a person means ignorant asshole jerk fuckface, one can use any of those words

it isnt neccesary to resort to a racist term to demean someone, or to express one's views..

offending people is fine

demeaning an entire race through use of a word is a person's choice, however ignorant that may be

let's not forget it hasn't even been FIFTY YEARS since blacks were first awarded the right to own property in the u.s.

come the fuck on

racism is alive and well

don't be a part of it because your vocabulary is so limited

yes, but the issue here is that she asked what the word meant and he told her. the word was wigger. the two essential words fused to make it are white and nigger--despite their definitions and the feelings they encompass. she asked for the definition and it is just plain close-minded to ask for him to give it to her polietly. his goal here was not to offend anyone with the use of the word nigger. it was to inform.

I went to a high school in which the pecentage of Black people to White people was 75% to 15%. I had never been the minority in all my life, I had never felt rascim...I had never had a racial slur directed at me, I watched 60% of these kids beat white kids up, make fun of them, steal their lunch, throw shit at them. I sat next to a kid in a science class who told me straight up how much he hated white people...how much we made him sick, how if he had the chance he would kill every white person he saw. Thats fucked up. Its called "reverse racism" I call it bullshit. If I had called that kid a nigger, I would have been expelled. But he and his little buddies could call me and every other kid a cracker, whitey, pekerwood, fuck ive been called wigger!! They could say whatever they wanted to use because people are to afraid to address black on white racism as a problem. You can say "Wigger" all you want to whom ever you want, but the second the word "Nigger" comes out of your mouth, your a racist peice of shit. Its a fucked up double standard. Honestly, I think if we de-villified the word it wouldnt have such an impact and people would be less likely to use it. Sorry, for going on so long... Hate on it you PC crybabies... Nigger, Wigger, whatever its all gravy to me.

Originally posted by test pattern

yes, but the issue here is that she asked what the word meant and he told her. the word was wigger. the two essential words fused to make it are white and nigger--despite their definitions and the feelings they encompass. she asked for the definition and it is just plain close-minded to ask for him to give it to her polietly. his goal here was not to offend anyone with the use of the word nigger. it was to inform.

'wigger' is no better

it implies that a person in todays' world has enough understanding to create a new word from it

why would we want another version of that word?

the only involvement white people have in that word was its craeation to systematically demean and undermine an entire race

now whites want to use it to describe an ignorant portion of their own population, who have never experienced the dehumanization of slavery

give me a fucking break

there are a million ways to describe a person's ingnorance, and then to subsequently include their race as part of the description, without ever using the word *igger or any of its derivatives

wake up

white people have never been OWNED by another race

we do not have the privelage of being able to use and manipulate that word

out of fucking respect for all the human beings who died at the hands of their [white] owners

what the fuck happened to the human race?

when did respect and love lose value?

why is it so fucking important to retain our right to anger and humiliate and offend people??

i have been a victim of reverse-racism as well

i am mature enough to know that is a shortcoming of those who directed their negativity at me...it is not my duty to lower myself to their level because i have been victimized

the 'if you can't beat em, join em mentality' is usually a crock of shit

Dear mr. yuck

you know, i used to aggree with what you said. if my black friends are comfortable with it, why can't i say it around them. my friend, whom we've dubbed "Black Eric" was always proclaiming his darkness at the top of his lungs. it was great. he called everyone a nigger, but that was part of being silly.

then i got my ass kicked for being white. which automatically made me racist apparently. even though the patch on my shorts shows a guy throwing out a swastika and says "keep your country nice and clean". when there's a dozen guys playing hoscotch on your back because of what white people did a hundred some years ago, you think differently. i know i didn't do anything, they know that too. they were just assholes. but when told to call "Pee Wee" (one of the bunch) a nigger, i said "no" and got socked in the face. they said "call me a nigger" again. "No." socked in the face. "say us muthafuckin niggers is the best". "no, i don't have rights to that word" "You want shot, whitey?"

i don't know what i'm trying to say. case in point, it's origins come from hate. the only time it was used was when white people referred to black people in a demeaning manner. that's not cool. that's why i don't like it.

Originally posted by !@#$%

'wigger' is no better

it implies that a person in todays' world has enough understanding to create a new word from it

why would we want another version of that word?

the only involvement white people have in that word was its craeation to systematically demean and undermine an entire race

now whites want to use it to describe an ignorant portion of their own population, who have never experienced the dehumanization of slavery

give me a fucking break

there are a million ways to describe a person's ingnorance, and then to subsequently include their race as part of the description, without ever using the word *igger or any of its derivatives

wake up

white people have never been OWNED by another race

we do not have the privelage of being able to use and manipulate that word

out of fucking respect for all the human beings who died at the hands of their [white] owners

what the fuck happened to the human race?

when did respect and love lose value?

why is it so fucking important to retain our right to anger and humiliate and offend people??

i have been a victim of reverse-racism as well

i am mature enough to know that is a shortcoming of those who directed their negativity at me...it is not my duty to lower myself to their level because i have been victimized

the 'if you can't beat em, join em mentality' is usually a crock of shit

i fully agree with you on the 'wigger' issue. it shouldn't have been used. however, it wasn't part arguement. those are the two reasons why i left it alone.

i also agree with the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

that is weak-minded.

Guest Pilau Hands
Nigger may be a bad word, but its so used it shouldnt be a taboo anymore...

Tess, that will never happen. The word nigger is offensive, and white people will never be able to use it in the same context as blacks. I understand where you're coming from, specifically not America, and I don't mean to offend, but I doubt you will ever hear a black person say "You know, I don't think 'nigger' should be a bad word anymore."

Metallix, you should have known that even saying the word would be bad. I hope you don't get beat up.

The word "Nigga" can NEVER be used by a white person in the same way it is by a black person. I was talking about linguistics with this Italian cab driver once. He was wondering why he can't use the word in joke like black people. I asked him how it would be different if a black guy called him a goomba. He understood. The popularity of the word in rap music today isn't a reclaiming. Nigga/er has been used in many ways, many positive and negative ways, within the black community for a long time. Rap simply brought this fact to suburbia.

If you don't get it, then you probably won't get it.

the bottom line is you're an idiot and don't even understand why...if you're perplexed by the fact that black people are offended by the word nigger you need a reality check..i can't believe you've made it to college...

i've seen alot of correct statements in this thread. from what i've witnessed, "nigger/a" has often been the difference between the joking "aw man, fuck you and your mother," and the confrontational "FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOTHER!"

People are so afraid to speak their minds. Like that one guy on the senate or whatever. He said some racial comment and stepped down. What a punk, if that's how you feel, stand up for it. Don't just be a bitch of societys standards.

Ohh yeah...you had the right to say that Metallix. Freedom of speech ya herd!

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

i don't think a wigger is a white "nigger" by any means. a wigger would try to act/dress/talk how a majority of mainstream black teens/younger adults would do so. such is the case with white kids and FUBU, white kids and Jay-Z, white kids and a predominately "ghetto" accent. the word nigger means nothing. it is a hateful word meaning "black person who is bad because of their skin color". i think you could have better described a wigger as saying "a white kid trying to act like a stereotype of the opposite skin color". i think it's damn near impossible to try to be a "nigger".

i don't like the word, personally. it implies nothing but hate when coming from a white/non-black person. it's evolved into a sort of communal friendship word in the black community. in oh, the 1930s, it would be common to hear one black male say to the other "come on nigger, wake up" as opposed to "come on 'dude' wake up, man" or something of that nature.

EXACTLY!

exept h0w d0 u "act ghetto"??

Archived