NHL '04-'05 Lockout

well what do you think p?

i think it stinks, so what if they're loosing money, that's what negociations are for. if you can't fucking negociate you're salaries down then you fucking lose players. if you're small market, losing money, broke ass team, you're fucking sol. welcome to the free market. fuck the owners. who hownz the Cheifs? Owwnnnz, Oooowwnnzzz. do it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah they did. they're pretty good right now, they haven't ever solved their goaltending problem, and it looks like they've got a good one. the problem with goaltending is that, to the semi-trained eye, when he has a good team in front of him it may take years to find out if he is any good. a goalie on a shit team has more of a chance to prove himself, but there are still times when no matter what he does he'll get blown out.

yeah, we've had tons of problems with goaltending, we can assemble a solid team, with play makers and goal scorers and good defense, but our goal tending always just scuffs it up.

But anyway, back to the subject at hand, professional sports players complain way too much, this goes beyond hockey. They get payed pretty damn well, to do something they love, or so we are to believe, to do. Players make more than the president of the united states

yeah they do, and the game is spoiled by it to a degree. the salary cap is not the answer though. tell me if i'm wrong, but big market teams will just have more money to get more top players, and the smaller teams will die out because, even if you are from buffalo, there is just so much you can go through before you lose interest in your team, well, unless you're from buffalo and get buried by squirrels around this time of year.

I haven't really kept up with everything thats going contract dispute wise, but my general stance with all pro sports players striking is that if they think the millions of dollars they are making to play a sport they love isn't enough....lets see them fall back on that p.e. degree they may have earned in college. let them try life at 25k a year. maybe they'll appreciate it more.

it's basically this: Bettman, and a select few owners want the cap, and they are invoking the name of all the small market teams that are losing money to get it. the players don't want the cap. they posed their economic plan 15mos. ago, the owners rejected it, things were going smoothly negociations wise until the players posed their new plan. Bettman and the CBA called the plan a "watered down" version of the unacceptable plan they laid down before. then yesterday, Bettman locked the players out. rumor has it the few owners Bettman needed to lock 'em out have been lining their pockets for a while in anticipation of this. it's no big wonder. i'm sure there are even more seedy details that the greedy bastards won't tell us. i can't feel bad for the owners, or the players for that matter, they are all greedy, but i feel the owners are going to fuck up the sport more in the long run.

Damn, I was a huge fan of Moog back in the days.

Anyway, fuck the players. Salary caps need to be put in, man. 23578, you can say that the free market will take out the weak, but that's no good! Hockey is dying in the States, and this lockout isn't helping any. I'm not a hundred percent on the dispute either, but I do know that these players are not being the humble kids who had a love of the game from, say, the seventies and eighties.

Just like AVP - Whoever wins, we (the fans) lose. No doubt, the players deserve money, but hockey is in a very fragile state right now, so this isn't cool.

Brian Burke (who worked with CBC for the World Cup) had a pretty good plan, I remember, which he talked about during the first intermission of the finals.

The real question is: If there is a shortened season, and the Leafs win the Cup, would winning the championship be marred?

If we don't have Roberts and Neuwendyk next year, there will be many more years to come without a Cup for us.

I’ve been on a roll. Even at school, I sit here and post instead of, like, chilling with the non sports watching morons who sit around talking unintelligible nonsense.

Yo, I read this book by Mordecai Richler (a world renown Canadian writer, plus a huge Canadiens fan – R.I.P.) the other month. The book was called ‘Dispatches from the Sporting Life’, and was all writings of his based on sports.

One of the chapters was dealing with Ken Dryden’s (old Stanley Cup winning goalie for the Canadiens/former President of the Maple Leafs/current Liberal Party member in a West Toronto riding) book called “The Game”.

Keep in mind that Dryden is known for being an extremely intelligent person. A worldly man, you might say. Well, in one chapter, he says that he always wakes up in the mornings and reads the world and business sections of the newspaper. Richler says in his review that Dryden lets in a soft one there, because everyone knows that the real intellects pick up the sports pages first.

It’s true, no doubt about it.

BTW, the salary caps work in basketball and football. The fact is that player salaries are going up-up-up, while the league in general just ain’t making that much. The problem needs to be addressed now, rather than later, when it’s even worse. If the league were to die now because the two sides can’t come to an agreement, then fine. Better to rip that bandage off, instead of peeling it off slow. Why put off the inevitable?

I read this earlier today at Altercation, it seemed to make sense:

Sports Section

It looks like we might not have an NHL season this year thanks to intransigent owners. OK. Here is a message to all sports franchise owners: it's called a demand curve. If you have a limited pool of highly-skilled labor (left-handed pitchers, point guards, goons), then rapidly increasing the number of bidders for that labor will drive up labor costs. It's simple. Don't go crying for salary caps and other collusive measures if you got in this mess by believing that Nashville, Atlanta, and Phoenix were good places to play pro hockey. It's no big loss, though. The NHL has proven itself corrupted by the lure of the Sun Belt for years. Never forget that the Dallas Stars did not really win the 1999 Stanley Cup. They stole it from the true and righteous Buffalo Sabres thanks to the sleaziness of Commissioner Gary Bettman, who refused to review the illegal winning goal in overtime of game six.

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by Nekro

Don't go crying for salary caps and other collusive measures if you got in this mess by believing that Nashville, Atlanta, and Phoenix were good places to play pro hockey. It's no big loss, though. The NHL has proven itself corrupted by the lure of the Sun Belt for years. Never forget that the Dallas Stars did not really win the 1999 Stanley Cup. They stole it from the true and righteous Buffalo Sabres thanks to the sleaziness of Commissioner Gary Bettman, who refused to review the illegal winning goal in overtime of game six.

hahahaha wow good points here. seriously though , i was pissed as fuck when the NORTHstars moved. that was the beginning of the end for me honestly. look at fucking tampa bay , aneheim , fucking colorado ( :rolleyes: ) dude expansion teams ruin sports. period. if i won the lottery , i would seriously concider moving teams such as the nordiques , and the fucking north stars to where they belong , in fucking cold ass hockey cities , where they belong. who the fuck plays hockey in pheonix. for fucking real.

Actually, Nekro, I understand what you’re saying, but did you know that hockey is the fastest growing sport in Texas? The Dallas Stars get sellout crowds more than the Mavericks, I’d imagine.

People, including those “experts” on ESPN keep saying how they think it’s stupid that a team like the Tampa Bay Lightening won the Cup when they don’t even have real winters there. Well, gone are the days where players grew up playing on ponds. Guy Lafleur is known as the last real old school player in that respect. Every player is now taught how to play in the indoor rinks. That is the future of the game, and the future is now. Kids still play shinny (pickup hockey) outdoors, but the real development goes on in the arenas.

Originally posted by Nekro

Sports Section

It looks like we might not have an NHL season this year thanks to intransigent owners. OK. Here is a message to all sports franchise owners: it's called a demand curve. If you have a limited pool of highly-skilled labor (left-handed pitchers, point guards, goons), then rapidly increasing the number of bidders for that labor will drive up labor costs. It's simple. Don't go crying for salary caps and other collusive measures if you got in this mess by believing that Nashville, Atlanta, and Phoenix were good places to play pro hockey. It's no big loss, though. The NHL has proven itself corrupted by the lure of the Sun Belt for years. Never forget that the Dallas Stars did not really win the 1999 Stanley Cup. They stole it from the true and righteous Buffalo Sabres thanks to the sleaziness of Commissioner Gary Bettman, who refused to review the illegal winning goal in overtime of game six.

Man, I remember that goal. For those of you who don’t remember, it was Brett Hull, formerly of the of the Dallas Stars who put it into the net while he was in the crease. The recently instilled rule was that the player couldn’t be in the crease while he put the puck in the net.

In the second overtime, I believe it was, Hull put it in in exactly that manner.

It was stupid to have that rule in the first place, and the NHL realized it too late. Of course, they made amends to it, no doubt.

The way I see it (and I know 23578 will hate this), Hasek, nor anyone on the Buffalo Sabres gave a shit that Hull was in the crease. They grew up without that rule, and there is no doubt in my mind that all efforts were there to stop him from putting it in at such an important time. Sure, it was technically illegal, but the fact is, it was in the heat of the game, and no one cried foul until it was all done. Either way, it’s a stupid rule, and I sure felt bad for the Sabres, even though I hate them.

What's the Altercation, though?

Edited for spelling.

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by Weapon X

Actually, Nekro, I understand what you’re saying, but did you know that hockey is the fastest growing sport in Texas? The Dallas Stars get sellout crowds more than the Mavericks, I’d imagine.

People, including those “experts” on ESPN keep saying how they think it’s stupid that a team like the Tampa Bay Lightening won the Cup when they don’t even have real winters there. Well, gone are the days where players grew up playing on ponds. Guy Lafleur is known as the last real old school player in that respect. Every player is now taught how to play in the indoor rinks. That is the future of the game, and the future is now. Kids still play shinny (pickup hockey) outdoors, but the real development goes on in the arenas.

honestly to contradict myself , the fact of weather there is a "real"" winter isnt the issue. im more mad about cities like hartford and minneapolis losing their teams.

One more thing, then I'll go back to where I came from. Isn't hockey somewhat of ab outsider's sport? I remember reading in a Mike Vallely interview somewhere that hockey was an outcast's sport about 30 years ago. It doen't attract the soccer and baseball kids; the hockey team at my school is somewhat odd.

I guess so, although I’m surprised to hear that, considering where you reside. New Englanders are supposed to love hockey! I mean, varsity hockey is a big business (as well as great entertainment and pool of talent to draft from) in Michigan, Massacheussetts, RI, Maine, etc. A girl I met recently and have developed a bit of a crush on got a hockey scholarship to some school in North Mass.

As far as in this country (Canada), the sport is ingrained into our National Conscience. It’s pretty much a religion here, even to those who don’t play.

Originally posted by mikro137

honestly to contradict myself , the fact of weather there is a "real"" winter isnt the issue. im more mad about cities like hartford and minneapolis losing their teams.

Yeah, I know. I hope Minnesota doesn’t fuck it up this time. They seem to love their Wild.

I read an article recently about how back in the days, the CRTC (our, like, media control board, or something) doled out broadcasting licenses to stations such as Women’s Television Network, Outdoor Life Network, and others. What they could have done was made Hockey Night In Canada (a staple Saturday night event since 51 years ago) available for teams other than the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens. Like, for an extra 2 bucks a month, a Winnepeger, or a Quebecer could have watched the Jets and the Nordiques play. It didn’t happen, and the TV revenue that could have been made was lost. It’s a lot harder to get fans out to the stadiums in those cities, but these people would have gladly watched on TV, no doubt. It’s sad, really.