NHL '03-'04 (your pix)

who's going to go far. not the sabres, playoffs yes, cup no, maybe it's ottawa's year? who're you looking at moving up or down from last year? who's going to score more? who's going to kick ass in the corners? who's going to stone 'em (hasek)? and, for you old schoolers, who's going to beat the most guys into pulp?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy now steve...

I dont make fun of your spandex wearing, leg shaving bike heros.

well not much anyways... So please dont be knocking our national game.

oh wait... lacross is the 'national' game.

and a happy 2K to you!

I haven’t yet got into full out hockey mode, but I agree that the Avs are the best team.

Leafs could win it, still. I really wish Gilmour didn’t retire so there was a chance we could pick him up for playoffs time. Senators are nice, but I can’t see them winning a cup.

Hasek will rule all, once again.

As far as fighters go, the nignogs are destroying near everyone. I just wanna see the Leafs’ Belak win a few.

by nignogs, you mean brashear right? or what, i'm not familiar with that term, but i admit i thought that black folk would take over when i saw brashear for the first time with montreal, and then saw jean-luc gran-pierre fight his first fight for the sabres too? where is he incidentally, he can whoop some white boy ass for a good role playing defenseman.

i agree the aves are building a solid team, but what have they done lately, they're getting old and they have no goaltending now that roy is gone. they didn't impress me much at the end of last season, but with everyone back healthy+tchuck or whoever they got, who knows. the sens have a nice balance now, and a bit more playoff experience, so i like them. they need some leaders. but i like them the best of the eastern, stronger, less flashy conference.

^ I laughed hysterically when I read that, probably because I’m stoned off the the marijueezy.

23578, I hear you on the Senators tip, and I do admit that they are a highly respectable team out of the east (plus they’re young), but I have had a hard time taking them seriously. Understandably so, considering I'm a Leafhead.

Brashear is an animal, but I hate that guy. Blue sideburns? Please, it’s all about the blue mohawk, a la McCabe.

I know this may sound dumb for non-eastcoast Canadians, but the Leafs year is now (I’ve been saying this for four consecutive years, I believe).

EA Sports curse

There was an article in the newspaper that was talking about a curse that just may ring true. The EA Sports box cover curse.

Dany Heatley – car crash just days after the release of NHL 2004, out for a long time.

Michael Vick – broken fibula occurs just two days after release of Madden 2004.

Randy Johnson – injured and a really bad year compared to years past.

Vince Carter – NBA Live hasn’t yet been released, but I must admit that this almost worries me, being a Raptor fan and all (even though I don’t think we really need him too much to make playoffs, we are paying him 94 million bucks to play).

RIP DAN SNYDER.

I read a good article about Why the leafs can never win.

It compared the blind faith of the leafs to the blind faith of religion.

Wont everything change if you see the face of God? Will you ever

be able to go back to the simple ways after eating from the tree of

knoledge? Can you unlearn the ultimate truth?

ok that sounds like bunk,

but I really dont know what leaf fans would do if they won.

Old folks would be croaking all over because they waited it out

just long enough to see another cup. The mythic 'old days' would be over.

This kid from Ithaca, New York must be good, he got signed by the Kings for 3.2 million at 19. Dustin Brown.

KINGS SIGN DUSTIN BROWN

10/4/2003

EL SEGUNDO, CA. - The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract with right wing Dustin Brown, Kings Senior Vice President/General Manager Dave Taylor announced today. Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

Selected by the Kings in the first-round (13th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Brown, 18, appeared in six preseason games with the Kings, and led the Kings in goals with four (plus an assist) and 10 penalty minutes. The 6-0, 200-pound native of Ithaca, New York, was one of three first-round selections by the Kings at the 2003 Draft.

“Dustin is projected to start the season in Los Angeles,” said Taylor. “We are obviously pleased to have him signed and under contract with our organization. We think he has a real bright NHL future with the Kings.”

Brown this past season appeared in 58 games for the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) leading the club in goals (34), assists (42) and points (76). Brown, who also had 89 penalty minutes, became the first player in OHL history to win the Bobby Smith Award as Scholastic Player of the Year three years in a row.

He was also a member of the United States National Junior Team that competed at the 2003 World Junior Championship. In seven games at the tournament, he recorded four points and 10 penalty minutes. He was the youngest player on the U.S. Team at the 2002 World Junior Championship where he recorded four points (1-3=4) in seven games.

http://www.lakings.com/images/news/brown_draft_day_170x170.jpg'>

Not having the services of elite players Adam Deadmarsh and Jason Allison has led to the downfall and anonymity of the Los Angeles Kings.

Don't discount the Kings

By Mel Bridgman | NHL.com

October 8, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Los Angeles Kings. Remember them?

In all the pre-season hype surrounding the Western Conference for 2003-04, the Kings have slipped into the new season relatively unnoticed.

The Kings, of course, went largely unnoticed last season, but their anonymity was fueled largely by injuries that robbed the team of the services of players like Jason Allison and Adam Deadmarsh.

Healthy or not, the Kings will face very tough competition in the Western Conference this season. Colorado is a powerhouse again with the addition of Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne. Detroit, another perennial power, has brought back star goalie Dominik Hasek. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim have gotten a tremendous surge of confidence from their playoff success. Dallas and St. Louis will continue to be excellent clubs, both capable of winning the conference. Yes, the Western Conference will be tight from the first day of the regular season.

But don't be quick to write off the Kings. Los Angeles is not only a playoff-caliber team, but the Kings are a major threat to win this conference.

Bridgman was selected by the Philadelphia Flyers as the top overall pick in the 1975 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in more than 900 regular-season games and served as team captain for both the Flyers and New Jersey Devils. In addition, Bridgman, a graduate of the prestigious Wharton School of Business, was the Ottawa Senators' first general manager in 1992-93.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More by Mel Bridgman:

Rookie tourneys are a hit

Blessed are the role players

Desperately seeking Gruden

If they stay healthy, of course.

Clearly, the Kings have some elite players like Ziggy Palffy, Allison and Deadmarsh up front and Mattias Nordstrom is a strong defenseman. Los Angeles also acquired goalie Roman Cechmanek from the Philadelphia Flyers and he will be a huge factor for the Kings.

"We believe we have upgraded our goaltending with the addition of Roman Cechmanek," Kings GM Dave Taylor told me. "He is a quiet person and works very hard in practice. In Philadelphia last season, they had 10 optional practices and he was at nine of them."

That kind of work ethic will fit in perfectly with the Kings, but what really caught Taylor's attention was Cechmanek's goals-against average, 1.83 in 58 games. That is indeed impressive!

And Cechmanek is happy with his new home.

"Every day and game was a lot of pressure in Philadelphia, especially for the goalie," Cechmanek said. "Los Angeles, although I have only been here a short time, seems much different. They play a more European style here than in Philadelphia. The Eastern Conference plays a simple and hard type of hockey. The Western Conference seem to pass more and there may be more 2-on-1s and 3-on-2s here."

"He is a character guy who works extremely hard," said Andy Nowicki, the Kings' goalie consultant. "He competes and brings features of aggressive goaltending. He is big and he plays big. He has a wonderful skill of holding the top of his crease even when he retreats on the opposition's attack. That takes away time and space on the attacker.

"He makes the first save standing," Nowicki said. "He reminds me a bit of Bernie Parent."

"Los Angeles, although I have only been here a short time, seems much different. They play a more European style here than in Philadelphia." - Roman Cechmanek

Having played with Parent in Philadelphia, believe me, that's great praise. Parent was a key reason the Flyers won back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1973-74 and 1974-75.

Two key players on this team are Allison and Deadmarsh and their good health is absolutely vital to the team's hopes. Both players will miss the team's opening road trip as they continue to recover from last season's injuries.

"We have proven in the past two or three seasons, we are hard to beat when we are healthy," Deadmarsh said.

Allison is clearly one of the premier centers in the NHL. Deadmarsh is a terrific two-way player with a work ethic second to none.

"I think we played hard against teams last year," Allison said. "This year we are much better. We do not think anyone in the League is better than us. I have always been a real competitive person. It is difficult to miss games due to injuries."

A healthy Allison makes the Kings a Stanley Cup contender. But even his presence, while injured, can have a positive affect on a team.

"I usually have been able to play through injuries and this is tough not to be able to play," Allison said. "We (injured players) work out six or seven days a week, four to five hours a day."

Last season's hopes and expectations of the Los Angeles Kings has returned as they look toward a turn around season.

"This is as tough as after the injury last season," Deadmarsh said. "I thought I would be ready for the start of this season."

One player who will be ready is the team's scoring star from 2002-03, Ziggy Palffy. He had 85 points last season, more than twice as many points as the second leading scorer on the club. Palffy is one of the most skilled players in the League and one who will clearly help determine the team's success this season.

"He is a catalyst for us," Taylor said of Palffy. "He runs our power play and generally creates lots of scoring chances. He is capable of beating players 1-on-1."

The addition of Luc Robitaille will help Palffy in the scoring department. Robatille is one of the greatest scorers in NHL history and what he learned during his stint with the Red Wings could be invaluable on the road to the Stanley Cup.

Yes, the Stanley Cup. So, read your pre-season predictions and take them with a grain of salt if Los Angeles isn't mentioned prominently. A healthy Allison and Deadmarsh; an electrifying Palffy; an elite NHL goaltender in Cechmanek; the leadership of their captain, Nordstrom, and Robitaille's veteran savvy may well make the Kings the team to watch this season in the Western Conference.

the leafs, when did they win one again?

and dany heatley was involved with that wreck, man, that sucks. schneider was another great american player, he played high school at mount in rhode island, i think, with keith carney, i sort of remember that from watching the olympics.

that's too bad, i guess i didn't know of him. i thought it was matthew, not dan. anyhow, saw bettman on cnbc, he said the players are going to take a hit and that's all there is to it, he says something like 76% of the revenue goes to the players, and "no other business, or professional sport is run like that". also saw this poll between devils, aves, wings, and stars on who would most likely win this year. the aves garnered 48% of the vote. do they have any other good defensemen? or goalies for that matter? there have been lots of teams with big stars that have tanked it. watching kariya at practice would motivate me though.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone ktdw Federov? yeah, he is an overpayed whiner.

man, watched the Leafs get stomped tonight. horrible game. Peca's Islanders looked good though especially Garth Snow. I haven't watched much hockey yet this year though.

who looks good to me right now,

eastern conference:

islanders

new jersey

ottawa

western conference:

kings

aves

wings

the canucks, avalanche, leafs, and the wings all have a good shot at it. id be willing to put up some money on the canucks. but the avs are sooo beyond stacked theyll be hard to beat, but if they all get big heads it will fall apart like the rangers. id like to see an all canadian playoff, with any canadian team win. the sens have a good shot too.

Marc-Andre Fleury. He is another Quebecois goaltender. He got drafted 1st overall. I don’t know what those orange pads are about, though. Maybe to distract the shooters (kinda like how Ricky Henderson wore fluorescent gloves so he could distract the pitcher at the plate or at first base).

yeah, him, he's a human highlight film, he's definately going to get some experience this year. dipietro is on top right now with the best gaa. he went to an american public school, i think rhode island's mount saint charles, or maybe boston catholic.

type R, if you go to a CAPS game, take it with a grain of salt. i've been to see them before, it's like the fans don't even care what's happening, nor do they know the rules. but that all may have changed since they got to the finals because of koho, and frasier giving them games, what was it, 5 and 7 (don't worry you weren't meant to understand that). just go there when the bruins or rangers are in town, it's like an away game.