NFL to Giants: Oops!

Weapon X

from espn.com

"Imagine if Joe Paterno were the Giants' coach right now. The winningest college football coach in history claimed the Big Ten refs had it in for him this season. Well, on Monday the NFL's head ref made a rare admission: We botched the biggest play of the Niners' 39-38 victory over the Giants. The Giants, the NFL says, should have gotten another shot at a winning field goal."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Monday, January 6

Decision could secure McGahee's financial future

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Darren Rovell

ESPN.com

When Keith Lerner saw University of Miami running back Willis McGahee go down in the fourth quarter of the National Championship game, he bolted from his couch, went into his home office and immediately began rifling through the papers.

Only five hours before, Lerner, an insurance agent based in Gainesville, Fla., had completed the paperwork on a $2.5 million insurance policy for the sophomore stud who was projected to be a top NFL draft pick in April.

"I faxed his physical information to Lloyd's of London at 3 o'clock on Friday," Lerner said. "The ink wasn't even dry on the paper yet."

McGahee might have had only one game left in his collegiate career, but he approached Lerner -- who had written policies for former Miami players Santana Moss, Ed Reed and Bryant McKinnie -- and wanted a large policy. Thanks to that decision, if McGahee, who had surgery on his torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments Sunday, never returns to the gridiron, he will collect a tax-free $2.5 million one year from the date of the injury -- Jan. 3, 2004.

"I originally said I could get him a $1.5 million policy, but he wanted more," said Lerner, president of the financial consulting firm Total Planning. "Then, I got $2 million and he still wanted more. So eventually we got to $2.5 million, which is a very large policy and possibly the largest policy a sophomore has ever had."

Lerner declined to give the exact premium, but he did say McGahee's family took out a loan and paid less than $20,000 for it. Premiums usually cost about $10,000 per $1 million policy, but McGahee was able to get a better rate partly because it only covered him for the National Championship game and up until he signed an NFL contract.

McGahee was also able to get a larger policy because his projected draft status rose throughout the season. Lerner said that if McGahee took out a policy in October, he only would have received about $500,000 in total coverage. McGahee finished the season with a school-record 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns this season

Lerner visited McGahee at HealthSouth Doctors Hospital on Monday.

"He was a little surprised to see me," Lerner said. "But he had a smile on his face. He wouldn't have taken this out if he was 100 percent sure he wasn't going to get hurt. I think it's very unfortunate that he was minutes away from a big payday in the NFL and now that situation is changed. But he did make a smart intelligent decision."

Lerner most recently paid out a $1 million tax-free policy to former University of Florida defensive tackle Ed Chester, who collected in the fall of 1999.

About 70 football players are part of the NCAA Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program, according to Juanita Sheely, travel and insurance coordinator for the NCAA. The NCAA provides athletes, who are projected to be picked in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, with a loan to take out a premium. Sheely declined to say if McGahee had insurance through the NCAA's program, administered by ASU International.

Penni Key, associate athletic director of clients at the University of Miami, said that athletes are encouraged to look at the NCAA's program as opposed to outside underwriters because the school wants to make sure that an agent isn't paying a premium for the athlete, which would be an NCAA violation. Key said that about five University of Miami football players are covered by some insurance policy each season.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at Darren.rovell@espn3.com.

^^ at least there's a bit of a silver lining in this sad story. McGahee is a great player, and I hope dearly that he returns to play for my 'Canes next year.

I heard about him getting hurt the other day and they were unsure if he had insurance. That would be the worst luck ever - going from a first round draft pick to a regular schmoe in half a second. He must be thanking his good judgement.

Originally posted by Weapon X

^ I'm glad you only heard about it, and didn't actually see it. His knee went completely the other way due to a high velocity shoulderpad or something, man. But yes, that is smart thinking.

They were saing it was a helmet hit, I think. There must be a video of it somewhere....

Guest imported_Europe

It was great game, first the Steelers made the comeback against the Browns. Then right after the 49ers did it to the Giants...

Go NFL!

Superbowl all night party here I come...

Guest socrates

come on who didn't want to see the browns win...it would of atleast been funny.....the fans there are probably the most deserving.......

Archived