NFL Player that left Football to join Army Rangers dies in Combat in Afghanistan

Pistol

I know not too many of you follow sports or football here.

But this guy was in the prime of his football career and turned down millions to go join the US Army. Not only that but he didnt want to be a pogue and went ahead and joined the Army Rangers. What makes this guy so fuckin legit in my book is that when he made the decision he never went on CNN or any other tv spot to brag about joining the Army or anything, he refused ALL interviews.

Former NFL Player Killed in Afghanistan

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040423/lthumb.ny15004231554.afghan_nfl_player_tillman_ny150.jpg'>

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040423/capt.ny15104231609.afghan_nfl_player_tillman_ny151.jpg'>

1 hour, 1 minute ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan (news - web sites) after walking away from a multimillion-dollar NFL contract to join the Army Rangers, U.S. officials said Friday.

Tillman, who served with the Army Rangers, was 27.

Although the military had not officially confirmed his death, the White House put out a statement of sympathy that praised Tillman as "an inspiration both on an off the football field."

Former Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis said he felt both overwhelming sorrow and tremendous pride in Tillman, who "represented all that was good in sports."

"Pat knew his purpose in life," McGinnis said. "He proudly walked away from a career in football to a greater calling."

Several of Tillman's friends have said the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks influenced his decision to enlist.

Lt. Col. Matt Beevers, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kabul, confirmed that a U.S. soldier was killed Thursday evening, but would not say whether it was Tillman.

He said the soldier died after a firefight with anti-coalition militia forces about 25 miles southwest of a U.S. military base at Khost, which has been the scene of frequent attacks.

Two other U.S. soldiers on the combat patrol were injured, and an Afghan soldier fighting alongside the Americans was killed.

Arizona Sen. John McCain noted that Tillman declined to speak publicly about his decision to put his NFL career on hold.

"He viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril," McCain, a Republican, said in a statement.

U.S. officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said a formal announcement was expected later in the day. Spokesmen at the Pentagon (news - web sites) and U.S. Army declined comment.

Tillman played four seasons with the Cardinals before enlisting in the Army in May 2002. The safety turned down a three-year, $3.6 million deal from Arizona.

He made the decision after returning from his honeymoon with his wife, Marie.

"He knew what was important to him, and he made his decision and stood by it," said quarterback Eli Manning, expected to be a top pick in Saturday's NFL draft.

Tillman's brother, Kevin, a former minor league baseball prospect in the Cleveland Indians (news)' organization, also joined the Rangers and served in the Middle East. They committed to three-year stints in the Army.

Some 110 U.S. soldiers have died — 39 of them in combat — during Operation Enduring Freedom, which began in Afghanistan in late 2001.

Tillman's agent, Frank Bauer, has called him a deep and clear thinker who has never valued material things.

In 2001, Tillman turned down a $9 million, five-year offer sheet from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams (news) out of loyalty to the Cardinals, and by joining the Army, he passed on millions more from the team.

Tillman turned aside interview requests after joining the Army. In December, during a trip home, he made a surprise visit to his Cardinal teammates.

"For all the respect and love that all of us have for Pat Tillman and his brother and Marie, for what they did and the sacrifices they made ... believe me, if you have a chance to sit down and talk with them, that respect and that love and admiration increase tenfold," McGinnis said at the time.

It was not immediately clear when he went to Afghanistan.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Tillman was distinguished by his intelligence and appetite for rugged play. As an undersized linebacker at Arizona State, he was the Pac-10's defensive player of the year in 1997.

He set a franchise record with 224 tackles in 2000 and warmed up for 2001's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon in June.

Tillman carried a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated with high honors in 3 1/2 academic years with a degree in marketing.

"You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him," Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator, said in 2002. "This guy could go live in a foxhole for a year by himself with no food."

Tillman and his brother Kevin last year won the Arthur Ashe Courage award at the 11th annual ESPY Awards.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

props to dude for constantly going with his heart over his wallet, and using school to get an education, instead of date raping a cheerleader.

too bad he had to pass on, sounds like he could have been a real influential person in his community.

Rest In Peace. This guy was a class ‘a’ specimen to be able to play football the way he did, as well as be a Ranger.

I remember a special on Pat Tillman on MNF last season. I’m not sure, but I believe that there was an interview with him on it.

For real, though, this guy is a true role model, and that’s a big reason why he won’t be forgotten.

bump

just heard an interview with him saying something to this extent..., I havent really done a damn thing(reffering to family members and in general, that have served in previous wars and served for their country), and I respect all those that have, I believe in what the flag stands for..

I know this has been all over the news repeatedly today but much respect. This man had one hell of an attitude, RIP.

Guest NoamChomsky

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Tillman was a first class douchebag. The only reasons he didn't get kicked out of the Ranger Indoctrination Program (the tryout for ranger batt) was because the Regimental Commander wouldn't allow it and because his brother was a fucking stud. I'm in awe of the whole walking away from millions story too but the fact is as a soldier it was evident that he didn't have a firm grip of reality or a sense of where he fit into the team. One of his RIP instructors predicted he would get someone killed luckily he only got himself killed. No one bother replying to me because unless you're in Batt you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Originally posted by NoamChomsky

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Tillman was a first class douchebag. The only reasons he didn't get kicked out of the Ranger Indoctrination Program (the tryout for ranger batt) was because the Regimental Commander wouldn't allow it and because his brother was a fucking stud. I'm in awe of the whole walking away from millions story too but the fact is as a soldier it was evident that he didn't have a firm grip of reality or a sense of where he fit into the team. One of his RIP instructors predicted he would get someone killed luckily he only got himself killed. No one bother replying to me because unless you're in Batt you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Could you elaborate?

Guest NoamChomsky

i never met the guy (he was stationed on the west coast) but I went through Ranger School with a guy in his platoon he just said the guy had a bizarre sense of entitlement and thought he was the shit despite being wet behind the ears which is dangerous no one set him straight because everyone was on his dick.

i know a guy in Batt that just passed the bar exam before he joined up following his brothers death in WTC attack and he's a fine soldier that has since been tested in combat he's attentive and had no problem listening to some 19 year old kid teach him how to patrol or how best to make a swiss seat because he knew that just because he was so and so in the civilian world it didn't mean he knew everything about soldiering. that realization might've been good for tillman.

Too bad Tillman got killed

There are always a certain number of people who bitch about other people, in every military unit and every organization of any kind. Seems pretty lame to me, for anybody to criticize Tillman. He was a world-class athlete who turned his back on a millions-dollar football career and joined the Army. Just that alone gets my respect. Then he manages to make it into the Special Forces. More respect--the training is extremely difficult. A very good friend of mine in the Marines re-enlisted for Ranger School, but broke his leg in training and was washed out. He served the remainder of that tour as an armorer for the Recon Company at Camp Lejuene MCB. He was a hard-charging young Marine, but Ranger School goes way beyond just being tough and physically fit.

Tillman served his country well, and gave his life in it's service. Anybody who cannot respect that is too cynical and self-centered to be taken seriously. He was a brave guy. He got killed in Iraq. What a shame.

Originally posted by NoamChomsky

i never met the guy (he was stationed on the west coast) but I went through Ranger School with a guy in his platoon he just said the guy had a bizarre sense of entitlement and thought he was the shit despite being wet behind the ears which is dangerous no one set him straight because everyone was on his dick.

i know a guy in Batt that just passed the bar exam before he joined up following his brothers death in WTC attack and he's a fine soldier that has since been tested in combat he's attentive and had no problem listening to some 19 year old kid teach him how to patrol or how best to make a swiss seat because he knew that just because he was so and so in the civilian world it didn't mean he knew everything about soldiering. that realization might've been good for tillman.

So you're pretty much basing your assesment of Tillman on rumors you heard? Therefore he's a "douchebag"? Did you ever consider the possibility that this person may have not liked him and was jealous for the fact that he WAS Tillman, a former NFL quarterback -- and he can't control the fact that people were on his jock. That's not his fault. He probably wasn't perfect, as no one is. But I find it hard to believe that he would be a stuck up and a worthless asset as you claim if he were to go to great lengths and turn down millions of dollars, and was humble enough to not let the press know and not even grant them interviews once they did find out.

Like KaBar said, people bitch about people all the time.

Noam Chomsky sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Though the fact that he humbly turned down interviews only to be jocked in RIP and ranger batt is conflicting. I was right next to ranger batt at Ft. Benning. I hear RIP is harder than the actually getting in cause they weed people out in RIP. I did PT right next to them dudes and it didn't seem like they were doing anything really hard. Though them guys in batt are just crazy.... Them fools be running around in pro masks and shit!

Guest NoamChomsky

When soldiers get together there's always a fair amount of bullshitting and bitching. But I've heard stories from too many good people about tillman to disregard. He's just another name on the fucking ranger wall of woe in ft.benning.

Archived